Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is sort of a challenge for your imaginations to let loose, since I am attempting to renew the Halloween spirit in my neighborhood (around here people stick to "safe streets" and the higher end neighborhoods... I got 1 kid in 2007, 3 in 2008... and one of those was not wearing a costume). I have my own ideas that I'm working on, but I would love to see what others in the halloween community would do in this "haunters nightmare" situation. Go as big as you like, and if I like some of the ideas, and that look like they are in my budget, I'll implement them. Let me describe the situation:

We are living in a small second story condo in one of the highest density parts of Las Vegas, and as such a classic Halloween display such as a grave yard and haunted house is absolutely impossible. I am not allowed to setup any outdoors decorations prior to Halloween, and any outdoors decorations i do put up on Halloween could very well get stolen... I have several windows that face the street and several that face the high density apartment complex next door. I have a tiny (6'6" by 6'6") porch that sits on the corner facing both the complex next to me and the street in front of me. My front door is just off a set of stairs, and it opens in to a very cramped enclosed hallway, that leads to my living room and kitchen.

So your challenge is this, come up with some sort of Halloween display for a very tiny condo. Go!

·
AKA - S.M. Barrett
1,084 Posts
Giant webs and spiders on the porch and covering your door.

Black silhouette shapes decorating every window.

Hanging 'funkins' "fake foam pumpkins' for visibility on the porch and just outside the door to keep the walkway clear.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Ok Strubly, you have posed quite the challenge. :eek: For optimum effect, especially since you want your second floor condo to stand out, I would definitely use your windows. Some examples: Lit JOLs placed in front of each window (room darkened of course); creepy sillouettes taped on the windows with the room lights on (cats, witches, skulls, etc.). For the porch, more lights - candles, JOLs, lit props that can be seen from the street - not bright lights but subtle so they cast a spooky glow in the dark. I remember one of the scariest Halloween nights I experienced was when I was about 17 years old and I worked late, only to come home to a dark house with the exception of one lit JOL sitting in the picture window. It creeped me out so bad that I was already a mess even before my 10 year old brother leaped out at me wearing a hockey mask. Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Perhaps you can add some decorations to the staircase leading up to your condo? Green or orange lights, spider webs, snakes, etc. Your porch would have a fog machine with a green flood light to illuminate.

You could get the wall coverings that have a scene on it, maybe the dungeon wall scene and enclose the approach to your door like a tunnel.

I feel for you about not being able to setup until the last second. I've been doing that for years only because I wanted to have that "sudden transformation" look, then everything would disappear by the next morning. I'm no longer doing that as my setup is too large. You could do a nice setup as long as you have a plan, have all your tools and equipment (tape, nails, screws, extension cords) ready. Have some strobe lighting and sound fx to attract attention, maybe some sound/motion activated props.

To get more kids to your door, you could post some flyers around the area or where you know there are kids. If you know kids in your complex, talk to them about bringing their friends over.

Good luck!

·
Girl Gone Mad
1,638 Posts
Ceilings are great when you don't have a lot of room to put things. Hang some things from the ceiling, like spiders and perhaps some invisible strings to feel like spiderwebs when someone walks through them, or easy to make chandeliers, etc. Decorate your furniture with eerie things. They have those furniture covers to make your rooms look like a torture chamber, or just some black or white with "blood", or interesting Halloween print fabrics, with halloweenie pillows. Someone said before use your windows. Candles, pumpkins, use those scene setters, dead flowers, creepy wreaths. Creepy art. Decorate the doors. Do you have a balcony? Have something looking over the railings. Or make some kind of small creepy garden. I know people like to decorate their balconies with potted plants and things, make them creepy, use lights, blinking eyes, creepy jack-o-lanterns. Spiders in the potted trees. Make a table top...oh I can't think...terrarium...a haunted terrarium! for a center piece if you have a table out on the balcony or use a small table outside to sit it on.

You really have a lot of choices and these are only my 2 pennies for whatever they are worth. (Not much these days in this economy I can tell you)

Of course if I read everything VERY CAREFULLY I probably wouldn't have said half of what I did but I will leave it anyways.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I live in an apartment and am planning to decorate my deck. I have some crows to put on the railing and thought about getting some cornstocks to put in front. I'm going to try to make a scarecrow a la Jeepers Creepers standing in the background. If I was tall enough or had a long enough stool, I would hang things from the deck above. Maybe some lighting; a fog machine would be cool; a severed head - or is that "overkill"?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone

Thanks for the Ideas everyone!
I'm planning on making a ton of Paper Mache pumpkins, each with a different face, to progressively display new ones in my windows and on my porch through out October to draw gradual Interest from neighbors. I'll also be displaying a lot of faux candles as well. I'm planning on hanging some Blair Witch figures from my tree outside, (well its not my tree, but I'm claiming it for Halloweeny purposes) and on Halloween night itself I'm planning on hanging some funkins from it as well (or paper mache pumpkins.... cheaper and if they get stolen.... FINE) I would like to thank Spats for that idea. As for my stairs, I'm planning on using them to display smaller pumpkins and paper luminaries lit with LED throwies (10mm LED's connected to cr2032 batteries, look for the how to on instructables). And for my indoor space, when i open the door either I am going to have my kitchen be a walk through lab OR I'll set up a series of laboratory shelves and a table right in my tiny hallway.
Hey warrent2000, I'm taking the idea to do flyers! great idea!
Anyway guys, If you want to keep up this thread, thats cool, other wise we can let it die.... painfully.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
And so It begins, The count down sign was inspired by the signs of others, found on the forum, with one major alteration: because the sign is two stories up, I put the black light on the bottom of the sign. Made with foam core and poster board. Cost: approx 2 dollars, with out considering the black light I've had for years. $12.00
sign1.jpg (image)
And here's the outside of my condo, with my window to the world and tiny pumpkins lit by LED's.
sign2.jpg (image)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts