Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to be very clear on this:

I do NOT view decorating as a competition. Halloween, or C word.

We have a new neighbor moved in just around the corner. "We're going to be your competition this year!" were literally their first words to me. This was good natured ribbing, to be honest, I don't think they view it any more competetive than I do. I saw them unpacking their garage this weekend, and they will indeed have quite the setup. I don't set up the yard till the week before, and I'm sure we're looking awful boring right now to them.

But, it got me thinking: We get on and post all our own hard work, and own stuff so often, it would be fun to post OTHERS for a change. I don't care if they don't go all out or just do a pumpkin, let's see it.

I'll post some of years past and update as my neighborhood gets in the spirit.

This is our neighbor a couple doors down, he's been doing this for the last 5 years or so. Note, there is practically no setup but some carved pumpkins, stark white light. It's still awesome. Everyone KNOWS darn well he's going to jump at the kids reaching into that treat bucket on the table, but it still gets them every time.

Neighbor behind us. They actually have a preschool out of the house here. I remember the day we met well, he saw me setting up and stopped to say how much he loved it, and how much he was into halloween too. Later that day, my daughter and I knocked on their door (not knowing it was his house) to ask to take pics of the coolest inflatable I'd ever seen.

It may be old hat these days, but it was top of the line back in the day. He adds a few things each year, will get updated pics later.

The body sits up and lays back down.

I've seen another graveyard pop up, and some halloween christmas lights in the neighborhood this year, too.

·
Registered
902 Posts
c-word, lol that's funny, my neighbors have beaten me to the punch on out side décor, but ive been busy for a week on the inside, I also wont do outdoor stuff till the 18th or so.

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Great idea! Like I said, there are three houses near me that are done. I'll snap some pix of them tomorrow. There's another that is usually decorated, but I haven't seen anything out yet.

My fiance said to me yesterday that "the neighbors are kicking your butt, as far as decorations go!" Sure, for now. ;) I just really haven't had a chance to decorate yet, and I know he's going to want to mow the yard at least one more time before Halloween. Why put up 50 tombstones just to have to take them down to mow, and put them back up again?

I really do need to get on the ball, though. I haven't dyed my sheets for the parlor walls yet, and I want to soak my ghost lady's cheesecloth in RIT whitener again. She was a bit dull last year, probably the rain got to her. I did buy some more outdoor cords, which were also sorely needed!

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My fiance said to me yesterday that "the neighbors are kicking your butt, as far as decorations go!" Sure, for now. ;) I just really haven't had a chance to decorate yet, and I know he's going to want to mow the yard at least one more time before Halloween.
Yeah, I'm already getting the "So, are you setting up this year?" from neighbors.

You'd think they remember I only start to set up the week prior by now, I mean, we've been here 11 years, never set up more than a week out. Try to get out with my daughter to take pics tonight. Was hoping the house around the corner would get more out, but they are clearly waiting for some of their big stuff.

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This house is right where you turn down our street. They've been slowly adding to the porch, and looks like starting down the yard now.

And another little graveyard that pops up every year around the corner.

Neighbor behind us looks like he got hit with wind before we got there. A gargoyle blown off the pedestal, and the pose n stay blown over.

Anyone know what that fabric popup coffin is? Haven't seen one before, but it's actually nifty (if skewed because the pose n stay is tipped over)

This was a new one I wasn't expecting, I'm not sure what's getting set up yet, or if it's done or what. Teenage boys that live there, I'm guessing are responsible, they've never decorated before.

The new neighbors' are still setting up, so I'll wait to get pics for their fully completed yard. There's skeletons crawling on the roof, and a host of animatronics so far. Can't wait to see it all finished.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Home Depot had a pop-up coffin, but I'm not sure it's the same one. I think HD's is all black.

Enjoying the pictures! We drove around this weekend, and there's not much at all. Definitely nothing to take a pic of. :(

·
>^..^<
797 Posts
I was out and about the other day and saw this, which I liked a) because I liked it, and b) because it seems like it was meant to be a decoration hung up against a wall (?), so the other side of it is all planet of the apes mutant melty looking. They had two of them up guarding their walkway.

·
Registered
114 Posts
There is one house down the street with blow-molds up. They have a pretty good collection. A few more houses have decorated porch's. We won't see much until closer to the week prior. A few families set up garage haunts, but nothing elaborate.

·
Registered
438 Posts
my neighbor has a life size gemmy mummy frannkenstien spirit ball bone jet and a ton of other random stuff like spider webs. I have 2 life sizes out right now and ATON of other stuff right now. on halloween night though i blow everyone in my neighborhood away my biggest competition has 2 life sizers i have 40 :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We are on a corner, and are on the short side of the remainder of our street. So, including our own house, there's about 8 houses in our "section" that have stepped up their Halloween decorating since DH & I started doing a big display. Don't get me wrong - I'm mostly talking about them putting a skelly out with a hay bale, or a blow mold or two in the window, but still - where there used to be maybe just a pumpkin, now we've got a few decorations happening!

One neighbor across the street actually put up a big inflatable this year! It's one of the haunted archway types. DH & I were excited about it because anyone walking either way on one of our cross streets will now see something large & lit up - either our whole yard, or their inflatable. Hopefully it'll draw more TOTers to our area.

Had to laugh about those commenting how neighbors are asking if you're decorating this year since you don't have anything (or much) up yet. Same thing here! We never do much other than something on the front door until mid-month. We go away for a long weekend in early October every year and don't start set-up until after that. But, I guess people get anxious because we start getting questions! Kind of sweet, actually! :D

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh - I had to come back to say that 2 other houses in our development (quite large) are our "competition" so to speak. Normally those neighbors will cruise by in their car or walk down our street during the day on Halloween and teasingly call out to us that they are checking out their competition, or their kids will TOT here and the parents will get to talking to us. It's all good natured too, and in a way, I think it urges us each on to be even more imaginative.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My neighbors to the side have a few of those cute blow up figures. I haven't seen them running recently but it has been windy here. Out side of a few pumpkins on the porches thats about it for out block/street. This weekend we put up our Twiggy and I hope to see more decorations. I've warned a few neighbors that we go loud, bright and big so hopefully they'll get in the spirit too :p

·
Super Moderator
5,787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
We are on a corner, and are on the short side of the remainder of our street. So, including our own house, there's about 8 houses in our "section" that have stepped up their Halloween decorating since DH & I started doing a big display. Don't get me wrong - I'm mostly talking about them putting a skelly out with a hay bale, or a blow mold or two in the window, but still - where there used to be maybe just a pumpkin, now we've got a few decorations happening!

One neighbor across the street actually put up a big inflatable this year! It's one of the haunted archway types. DH & I were excited about it because anyone walking either way on one of our cross streets will now see something large & lit up - either our whole yard, or their inflatable. Hopefully it'll draw more TOTers to our area.

Had to laugh about those commenting how neighbors are asking if you're decorating this year since you don't have anything (or much) up yet. Same thing here! We never do much other than something on the front door until mid-month. We go away for a long weekend in early October every year and don't start set-up until after that. But, I guess people get anxious because we start getting questions! Kind of sweet, actually! :D
This exactly! This thread is here to celebrate those single inflatables and lonely skeletons in a lawn chairs!

10 years ago, there was 2 houses that did anything at all, now we're seeing more and more pop up.

Just yesterday a second house in the HOA group decorated their porch!!! "Just" some cobwebs and some random small props, but it's so awesome that apparantly the "nothing but pumpkins" rule has been blown out of the water. Finally.

(To our right is an HOA, to the left is not. We were supposed to be in the HOA, but the papers were never presented when we bought the house so our house is no longer part of it, this caused "fun" when we originally moved in with the HOA trying to sue us back into compliance. Someone new must be overseeing the HOA.)

Had a real estate agent ask when we'd be decorated so they can plan an open house for the house kitty corner from us. LOL

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
10 years ago, there was 2 houses that did anything at all, now we're seeing more and more pop up.

Just yesterday a second house in the HOA group decorated their porch!!! "Just" some cobwebs and some random small props, but it's so awesome that apparantly the "nothing but pumpkins" rule has been blown out of the water. Finally.

Had a real estate agent ask when we'd be decorated so they can plan an open house for the house kitty corner from us. LOL
Love that! I was driving out to a store yesterday and saw a house that had maybe 10-15 blowmolds in their yard or windows, and noticed a for sale sign on their lawn. I thought it was awesome that they decorated for Halloween anyway, but I know for a fact that if I were shopping for a house, Halloween decorations at the house or nearby would be a definite plus!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Living in the UK its almost non existent but my neighbors definitely notice when I do! I can't decorate outside for fear of stealing but I totally do the inside and they notice anyway!

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I love this idea! Alas, my neighbors do not decorate :( I really wish they would! I wpuld love more festive houses in the neighborhood!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts