Halloween Forum banner

Halloween Readiness: Rate Yourself

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As Halloween gets closer and closer, thought I’d throw a poll out. I know some of you are amazingly organized and others keep adding a few more things making that to do list slightly longer. Will you be ready for Halloween? If you’d like to share all you got done, please do so! Always great to see what’s been achieved!

·
Registered
156 Posts
@jimmyMM congrats on getting your yard monster done! Did he turn out like you wanted?
I usually don't set out with any particular plan, I just plan on putting out at least one creature/scarecrow/skeleton/monster looking thing and I just hope for inspiration. We had a big windstorm a month or so ago that knocked some tree branches down so I had this one big branch jammed into the ground. It seemed like a creepy location for a monster to be lurking, so it just came about organically. I'll post a pic later...thanks for asking! To answer your question though I'm not sure it's what I wanted, I may add something too it or turn it into a giant mummy with some cloth strips.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have all of the stuff I planned done and I am about 95% done with the extra un-planned stuff. I was able to get all my stuff out of storage today and brought up to the house. Have a few minor repairs to make on a couple of things but shouldn't take me long to repair them. Going to be getting the bigger new items I built this year moved out of the backyard and into the neighbor's yard tomorrow. Going to start setting the big things out/up tomorrow and keep adding and tweaking things through out this next week. Everything will hopefully all be put out and set up by next weekend. Due to weather I don't dare set some of my stuff out too early. 2 weeks before Halloween is all the longer I dare to have stuff out. I'll take it all down and put it in storage the weekend after Halloween. Fingers crossed we don't get any high winds and snow between now and when I start to take everything down.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I actually slowed down on a couple of my things as well just in case of weather - a couple of my props are too big to bring inside and I didn't want paint to get washed off. Otherwise, I'm getting pretty close to what I want. A couple projects are more about "can I actually build it" / experiment so they are not critical.

I suspect by the time the day before Halloween rolls around, I'll be pretty ready for the whole thing to be over .... LOL!

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
Still working on a few things, but had to start setting up today. The original plan was to build three columns for my cemetery fence, but I’ve had time to build only two. Also planned to skin them with 3/4 foam, but just don’t have enough time for that now (and then carving, painting, weathering them.)

The lack of that third column throws off the symmetry that I’d envisioned, but . . . Oh, well. May still try to bang it out tomorrow or next weekend though.

·
The Mrs. to a MysterE
2,361 Posts
Eek! Other than the traditional window pumpkin, a wreath on the door and some crafty skeletons on each side of the porch, and three light up pumpkins hanging about - we have not even started!! Won’t even be able to until NEXT weekend! Last year - gulp - we didn’t have anything in the yard... it was one of those years where everything was a bust. But THIS year - I vowed to make good on our usual set up since so many neighbors were disappointed last Halloween. Its going to be tight but rain or shine - We will make a scene before October 31!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I made some good progress in the garage today, there is still a lot to do but plenty of time to finish. I don't have a big yard display and will likely put it up a few days before due to the high winds we get here.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have all of the stuff I planned done and I am about 95% done with the extra un-planned stuff. I was able to get all my stuff out of storage today and brought up to the house. Have a few minor repairs to make on a couple of things but shouldn't take me long to repair them. Going to be getting the bigger new items I built this year moved out of the backyard and into the neighbor's yard tomorrow. Going to start setting the big things out/up tomorrow and keep adding and tweaking things through out this next week. Everything will hopefully all be put out and set up by next weekend. Due to weather I don't dare set some of my stuff out too early. 2 weeks before Halloween is all the longer I dare to have stuff out. I'll take it all down and put it in storage the weekend after Halloween. Fingers crossed we don't get any high winds and snow between now and when I start to take everything down.
I know you were slightly worried cause your list kept growing. So happy to hear you are going to get it all done!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually slowed down on a couple of my things as well just in case of weather - a couple of my props are too big to bring inside and I didn't want paint to get washed off. Otherwise, I'm getting pretty close to what I want. A couple projects are more about "can I actually build it" / experiment so they are not critical.

I suspect by the time the day before Halloween rolls around, I'll be pretty ready for the whole thing to be over .... LOL!
Isn’t it the truth? The weather has been extra special this year. I know most members have not been in holiday spirits because of it. I did pull extended forecast and it looks like we are expected to be cloudy. I’m thinking as long as those clouds don’t have rain we will be fine!

And yes, sometimes after messing with your items for so long there is the sensation of, can we just be done please? At least being done is amazing right?

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still working on a few things, but had to start setting up today. The original plan was to build three columns for my cemetery fence, but I’ve had time to build only two. Also planned to skin them with 3/4 foam, but just don’t have enough time for that now (and then carving, painting, weathering them.)

The lack of that third column throws off the symmetry that I’d envisioned, but . . . Oh, well. May still try to bang it out tomorrow or next weekend though.
I’m sure even without the column it will look great. Hope time allows you to get to your full vision.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We are finished too. There were only two things to build this year which became three; a fortune teller tent, a moon, and a table for Zaltana and all are done. I did craft two signs and some spooky fruit for the witch harvest area. I still need to grab a few LED lights, but that’s not a complicated task so I’m marking it all done. I fretted over our theme a lot this year and it changed multiple times and I was totally surprised when looking at our items that a theme took shape on it’s own. Buy what you like and it will all match right? I really hope our ToTs will be impressed and enjoy what we did.

So far, pushing ahead with 2020. We have been trying to figure out how to make things more interactive and I’m considering building a platform with a walk through display. Since I tend to alternate what prop goes where, I’m thinking a harvest walk through next year and a spooky forest the year after that. Guess I need to be ready to buy more critters!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Eek! Other than the traditional window pumpkin, a wreath on the door and some crafty skeletons on each side of the porch, and three light up pumpkins hanging about - we have not even started!! Won’t even be able to until NEXT weekend! Last year - gulp - we didn’t have anything in the yard... it was one of those years where everything was a bust. But THIS year - I vowed to make good on our usual set up since so many neighbors were disappointed last Halloween. Its going to be tight but rain or shine - We will make a scene before October 31!
It’s so good to hear you have neighbors looking forward to your display. I know some neighbors are not always Halloween friendly. Glad to see you are doing what you can to make your audience happy!

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I made some good progress in the garage today, there is still a lot to do but plenty of time to finish. I don't have a big yard display and will likely put it up a few days before due to the high winds we get here.
Glad to hear you’ll get it done. Can’t wait to see it!

·
Registered
13,760 Posts
Maybe two weeks from now I'll be in a better position to answer. 😂 At that point I think I will have to make a decision its Plan A or Plan B for this year.

I really am enjoying putting together what I'm doing and kind of a perfectionist in that I don't want to put it out half-done especially not with this years theme. Picked up too many items to leave things out and unused is the way I look at it. Plus there's the weather factor. I have found I can never plan anything weather wise this far out. I am still working on scene items, have things that are still important that I want to get done. Never quite sure how long something will take me. Plus life has a way of interceding when you don't want it to as I found out with the power outage. 😒 Best part as indicated is that I'm enjoying the projects I'm working on this year and learning to do a few things I haven't done before.

Happy to hear that many of you are done already and the pressure is now off of you. Hanging in here still.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts