Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sympathies to the Haunted Garden regarding their local govt problems. I have a minor nuisance in comparison. A new, expensive, not very attractive roundabout was constructed near my house. So my yard (future graveyard) is now bathed in white CFL light from a pole installed on the outside of my circular drive. This means I get an overhead faux full moon level of yard illumination year round. Am not sure how I feel about this. Okay...partially sure it is uglier than the darkness and landscape lighting I am used to.

I realize now I have no forum question, but am mostly venting.

It seems no city improvement comes without some downside. Oh yeah...they had to drape a power line across my front yard to achieve this light. And to feed us borderline OCD hyperobservant types (haunters), the light poles all have their own unique tilt, making them look like British teeth when viewed in a line.

Stupid city improvements!

(in a way, this is a true "get off my lawn!" situation.)

Oh yeah, and they are threatening to improve the street by adding bike lanes and taking out 30% of my graveyard area (city easement) that currently hosts a long line of rose bushes and a fig tree.

So there. Vent done. :p

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,761 Posts
Someone on the forum once suggested a black heat resistant cover which would be raised by Helium filled balloons. Let the cover rise over the light and pull back down on attached rope/string when then cover is over the light to temporarily cover for the light for Halloween. I have not tried this but it sounded feasible.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,340 Posts
I feel your pain. We've got a bright-as-daylight streetlight directly across from our front yard that illuminates the ENTIRE front yard which used to be my graveyard.

Is your light a light sensor light or is it on a timer? Ours is a light sensor & every year I swear I'm getting a deer spotlight to shine on the sensor to get it to go out until after ToTing & haunting. I'm pretty sure it would work but since I haven't tried it I have no clue & since the light is on the power pole I'm certainly not climbing it to attempt something else or resort to vandalism.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I have a street light right outside our yard that was out for the first three years we lived here. I never complained because I figured if it worked it would take away from the lighting efforts on Halloween night. It was actually my WIFE that called in and had it fixed and I tease her every Halloween how she "ruined" my graveyard. Truth is there is a little bit of difference but the lighting I use still looks pretty good. It is also nice to have a little light the other 364 days of the year.

·
Lord of the Cemetery
2,081 Posts
Hey up - British teeth? Excuse me, are you making adverse comments about our dentistry?
Nothing wrong with my teeth..
I'm looking at them now sitting in the glass of steradent next to me, ready to be popped in at a moments notice. They look fine to me. :D

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Too much or not enough.. light? There is a large street light to the west of Ravens Grin Inn, it points at us. It had been grown-over by voraciously growing tree limbs and I hadn't really noticed until I was looking around at night thinking as a possible vandal might think when looking for a target for their idle brains to suddenly spring to life and attack.
We are located in a City parking lot, surrounded by parking lots on three sides behind a couple of taverns and this is a dead-end parking lot with a drop-off and trees lining the boarders of it, more places for things to happen...
My Wife didn't like more light washing over the front of the house at first but it sure is handy for unloading groceries and seeing just "who" might be out there lurking...
So many vines cover this house that people think the place is "small" in the Summer.
"$15.oo to go through THAT little house?"
WRONG! 5,000 sq. ft.7 physical levels a 60 to a 90 minute totally guided, narrated experience full of a Whole Lot of "Stuff" you will never see anyplace else.
Shine that street light over here! Please.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,761 Posts
Hey up - British teeth? Excuse me, are you making adverse comments about our dentistry?
To reduce the number of people who may be offended we choose to refer to them as "Summer Teeth" Some are here Some are there.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I think there are a ton of people in the USA who have terrible teeth, it's just over here , we don't usually smile as much so nobody notices as much.
There were news items recently that Brits are happier and a more cultured people! (And I don't think it was put out by their Government either.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
We have a "street lamp" in the corner of our yard. It actually works to our advantage as without it this area would be pitch black . There is dark then there is pitch black to where you cant see anything. Here in our little mountainous village we have real wolves , Black and Grizzly bears, Cougars lurking around and an occasional skunk wandering along the river banks that border town. So having the streets lighted up is a good thing. It does have a soft orange glow to it - not a bright white.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The city asked the neighborhood if we would accept multiple roundabouts being installed down our residential street. It is supposed to help irritate drivers that use our street as a shortcut...lessoning traffic. What we didn't consider it the multiple hideous signs erected around and on the roundabouts, and the streetlamps installed to illuminate the roundabouts in case drivers are trying to slalom this road at night with their headlights off. :/

The bike lane idea is part of the city wanting to us to be like Austin, TX... all exercise friendly. But this is El Paso, where 100+ degree summers keep most people indoors. They also are talking about sidewalks that would also take out a big chunk of my yard. I get that all cities have easements, but their "improvements" are severely sabotaging my graveyard ideas. Think of the children!!! :)

Sidenote: As a fan of Britcoms for the past several decades, I have concluded that either there is a severe shortage of orthodontists, or a mass of colliding lower teeth are a badge of honor for British entertainers. No rotten teeth. But if bitten by a Brit, I suspect the resulting bitemark would be more unique and identifiable than a fingerprint. (Disclaimer: am American of Scottish descent from 2 centuries back)

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
We have had sightings of Brown bears around here in N.W. Illinois. Very recently a cougar was killed 25 miles from here in Iowa. One night I swear that I saw a raccoon as big as a large bear cub! "MMM! Corn is good, and lots of it around here like 280 bushels per acre! Yes!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
13 Participants
Gym Whourlfeld
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing