Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New show on Netflix "The chilling adventures of Sabrina"

https://youtu.be/ybKUX6thF8Q

I am VERY excited to see this, i honestly hope its good.
Based off this comic book which i absolutely adore.
If it is like the comic forewarning not for kids! But viewer discretion is advised.

ogN35by.jpg

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
i just saw the add for it on Netflix but i never read the comic , is it dark horror or comedy ? have you watched it yet ?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm 2.5 episodes into it lol not bad at all, it is different to the comic but not by much. I wish I had more time to watch things like this, witch stories fascinate me and this one is fun. The main downfall for me is a new video game came out that I am completely invested into and that's my spare watch time. :D

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
I guess i will take a chance miles , i like a lot of the Netflix series , and BarryJ i just think its there production standard for there series , to pack them out more , sometimes it works but sometimes it does not , i could not get on with THE MIST it was far far too slow for me i lost interest halfway through .

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does it get faster?....hmmm...haha um not really, which is probably why i'm at 2.5 episodes because I feel like i've watched 4 episodes already. I felt the same way about the mist as well pacman, I think I got half way through the first episode.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Glad its not just me miles , i struggled to get that far but thought hell give it a chance , but by halfway i was done with it lol. Maybe because i have not read the SABRINA comics it may be beneficial for me with watching the Netflix series ? i am going to give it a try weekend .

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
I watched the first two episodes tonight and liked them both. Will watch more over the weekend. I haven't read the comics either.

·
E Pluribus Bitum
885 Posts
I haven't read the comics. I watched the first 4 eps of the show, and it lost me by mid 5th. I stopped enjoying it much after the 3rd. I love fantasy witch stuff, I do, but I also really hate the whole 'devil' fantasy thing that this and some other witch shows do, it's not my thing and I can't get into it the simplistic and derivative angle of it all. And good grief, that goaty Satan guy... I can suspend so much disbelief before the animatronic face causes severe-eye-roll, he just looked ridiculous. I think it was supposed to be scary, but no. And it makes no sense. Oh there's a mine and Satan just kinda hangs out down there? Is it his spa? Mmm sulfur fumes, they're great for the pores!

Not to mention that whole 'not choosing the light or the dark' and 'choosing her own path' thing just made me miss Lost Girl.

There were things I loved about it, but I wish those things were in another show. I loved a lot of the ambiance, cinematography, art direction, etc. Ambrose is awesome. The older music was great, but then BOOM all the sudden modern music, and back to oldies. Sigh.

It's just too annoying.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,850 Posts
Just started watching this & caught a few things:

1)In the very first episode Mrs. Wardwell (eventually Madame Satan) picks up the girl in the street & says she'll take her to Dr. Saperstein. Dr. Saperstein was the name of the warlock doctor that took care of Rosemary in Rosemary's Baby.

2)They totally stole The Satanic Temple's Baphomet statue. I thought they sued them over it....wait..It's definitely their statue & settled with Warner Bros. over it.
https://twitter.com/LucienGreaves/status/1057418640243466242/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1057418640243466242&ref_url=https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/09/us/satanic-temple-suing-netflix-sabrina.html

3)Holy Huck they're singing a song written by Charles Manson in episode 4!!! It's the song they're singing when Sabrina goes into the choir room & what she sings for her placement in the choir.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WTj4L5iBDo

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,850 Posts
And in episode 6 they just name checked my beloved horror host Count Gore DeVol!! Also Harvey was wearing the same shirt Johnny Depp wore in his big death scene in the original NoES.

So far I'm liking it but thought that last sleep demon episode (episode 5) was a bit of a filler episode.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,850 Posts
ANNNNDDDD there's the iconic Exorcist shot!

I gotta say I loved Kiernan Shipka in Mad Men & I love her in this.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I loved it and appreciated the darker vibes, witch lore, and all-out Halloween awesomeness. I just hate Sabrina (the character, not the actress) -- she just can't seem to grasp that there are consequence to her actions, and goes around thinking she's the Baddest Witch when she causes most of the problems she comes across...

... That said, I can't wait until season 2 comes out! Everything else is how I imagine a show about a teenage witch to be. Great job!

·
Jumpin' Jack Flash
1,301 Posts
...I also really hate the whole 'devil' fantasy thing...
this. there's a whole lot of "replace any reference to 'god' with 'satan' because witches and satanists are synonymous" stuff going on ("What in Satan's name!" and the like). i don't really take offense but i think i probably would if i were wiccan, and it just seems very stupid to me. it's kinda low hanging fruit and it doesn't do anything for world-building as the creators presumably think it does. my wife watched it off and on, and i watched a little with her, but when we sorta gave up on it i didn't feel like i was missing much.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts