Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my version of the Scarefx stirring witch prop. She is made on a pvc armature, and her head is sculpted with celluclay and paperclay over a urethane skull. The hands were cast in in alumilite plastic resin using a flexwax mold.

Click here for a backstory on the Bottle Lady and video of her in action.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Wow dude .. thats not good , not good at all . That resembles my aunt , and rather than take you to court about it ... I'll just come over and take that prop off your hands .. ( LOL )
( only joking of course )

Now , for the honest opinion - Dude ... you have got WAY too much talent ! Wanna share some ? LOL
EXCELLENT . She REALLY looks GREAT !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
too awesome, Dave, as usual!! How do you do the hands with the resin, where do you buy it, etc?
I bought my Flex Wax from Oriental Trading...sometimes you can get free shipping from them. AMACO® Flexwax

Alumilite Resin was purchased here: Alumilite White - Super Light Liquid Casting Plastic 128 oz - Artist & Craftsman Supply

Basically, you dip your hands into the melted flexwax until there is a thick shell, let the flexwax cool and harden, then remove your hand like you are slipping it out of a glove. Mix up a small amount of alumilite, and slush it around into the hand mold until all surfaces are covered. Two thin layers of alumilite are plenty to get a good pull from the mold. The next step is to fill the alumilite (while still encased in the flexwax) with 2 part urethane foam. This will capture the finest detail, including every wrinkle and fingerprint. For a less detailed hand, you can used the 2 part urethane directly into the flexwax mold.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Dave this is a great prop, how do you get both the arm and head movement?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dave this is a great prop, how do you get both the arm and head movement?

The arm movement is driven by a wiper motor inside the cauldron. The side to side head movement is driven from a small dc gearmotor that is hidden in her chest area. I currently do not have any pix of the head turning mech, but will check my files later to see if i can scrounge some up.

·
Banned
101 Posts
Wow .. not sure who is more weird now ..
You said :

Basically, you dip your hands into the melted flexwax until there is a thick shell, let the flexwax cool and harden
How HOT does this wax have to get to melt ? ( I mean , hey , not all of us are into that hot wax burning thingy -- if ya know what I mean - LOL )

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow .. not sure who is more weird now ..
You said :

How HOT does this wax have to get to melt ? ( I mean , hey , not all of us are into that hot wax burning thingy -- if ya know what I mean - LOL )
120 degrees. Basically like hot tap water. Flexwax is formulated specifically for a low melting point, and can be used for casting other body parts as well

( yes, i mean faces...what did you think i meant?)

·
Bête noire
2,631 Posts
Dave, she's amazing. I like how your props have a "history" - it really brings life to them. It's especially interesting when your other works tie in to them as you have done with the story of Poe. I picture these tragic tales playing out in an isolated village, a place shunned by neighboring towns, populated with simple, fearful folk who live with these macabre incidents every day. Well done!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts