Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Doesn't that just SOUND like me?

Anyway, if you've been following me for some time, you know one thing I REALLY hate is to leave something undone.

From the mad scientist lab when I was 8 (redone some 25 years after the initial concept), to redoing "The Orchard" portion of our Harvest theme 3 times before I was happy with it.

I felt that 2015 really finally nailed down the Harvest theme, and it's now time to move on.

However, moving on to something that needs to mesh well with the Harvest for the pumpkin carving party...

I was recently forced to go back through every one of my photo albums, and stumbled on a concept from early 2007.

This concept was semi-abandoned and at the time morphed into the headhunter/field of skulls we did up to 2010.

Originally, however, I was taken with the stories of Baba Yaga. The Bone Mother.

Fences made of bones, and skulls providing the lighting.

I even made an attempt really early in 2007 before going with the torches and impaled skulls.

I really wanted these to be the primary source of lighting, and at the time I just couldn't figure a way to get that accomplished, so we moved to the torches and left this concept buried somewhere in the recesses of my mind.

My wiring skills, and available lighting have both come a ways since 2007.

In fact, I actually have a fairly decent way of lighting that can be rather easily modified to be put in skulls...

But there was still the matter of how to build "the Bone Mother", and how to make the cobbled masses of bones the skulls sit on.

This song's been stuck in my head for the last few months trying to answer THAT.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
So what is the "Story?" (Or back-story?)
Oh, Gym, if only you knew how loaded that question was for me.

This is actually my THIRD attempt at trying to make a witch. If you know me, I do tons of research before I try to make something, so I've been researching witches for years.

2007, we were hit with the technical difficulties above, and went with the headhunter idea, specifically intending to revisit Baba Yaga with the skulls I was making.

Fast forward to 2010, I was ready to unleash the witch theme, but through years of research had come to this concept that all witch stories were connected. The Fates. The Norn. Yaga Baba. Etc. And that there were a grand total of 3 witches, interconnected, sometimes assuming each other's identity, sometimes acting together, sometimes alone. However, the witch most popularly residing in the Western US here was Spider Woman. Through stories of most Native American nations, and even down through Mayan and Aztec mythologies, this being kept resurfacing. I could go on for quite a while the similarities between Spider Woman and Baba Yaga.

The key elements being they are DANGEROUS, but not necessarily EVIL. The hero/heroine usually escapes or is even helped by the witch through being kind and courteous. They both decorate their homes with the remains of their victims. Both have passwords to open their respective lairs.

The Pueblo had a way of telling of Spider Woman I really respected. As she thought of stories, those stories came to life, each connected by the threads all connecting back to her. In fact, she is thinking of this now as I type, and I am telling you what she is thinking. To seek her is to find her work everywhere.

Unfortunately, I lost most everything in a storm in 2010. We were all set to go, and poof. Shed collapse, 3 years worth of builds gone, end of the theme right there.

Out of those ashes come the Harvest theme: at the time because it was easy to do in the 60 days I had.

During my Harvest run, I've really come to find a specific style with my builds.

Branches, bones, vines, coalescing into beings.

With the building of Mother, I was first toying with the idea of what was behind creating these creatures.

Then that song above come out, and has been played many a time in my head.

And in my head, it became clear. Spider Woman did not die in 2010. She can never die. However, she has taken all those Harvest pumpkin seeds and began to create her lair again, controlling the vines to drag bones up out of the ground as servants. Barely a collection of bone and root and vine herself.

I view this as a several year project, to be honest, but want to get a lot of basics down this first year.

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,278 Posts
Sounds intriguing and I admire your dedication of seeing the project to completion even though you will have several years invested. I'm interested in seeing it all come together and am especially interested in how the fence and mother turn out. :)

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, Bone Mother's got to be disproportionate to her minions. That presented the first challenge. Now, I can cast regular skulls as many as I want for the minions. So, that meant going bigger.

Not a whole lot of detailing in as I really just need the basic shape to make a form off.

about 2.5x the size of a normal skull.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Oh, Gym, if only you knew how loaded that question was for me.

This is actually my THIRD attempt at trying to make a witch. If you know me, I do tons of research before I try to make something, so I've been researching witches for years.

2007, we were hit with the technical difficulties above, and went with the headhunter idea, specifically intending to revisit Baba Yaga with the skulls I was making.

Fast forward to 2010, I was ready to unleash the witch theme, but through years of research had come to this concept that all witch stories were connected. The Fates. The Norn. Yaga Baba. Etc. And that there were a grand total of 3 witches, interconnected, sometimes assuming each other's identity, sometimes acting together, sometimes alone. However, the witch most popularly residing in the Western US here was Spider Woman. Through stories of most Native American nations, and even down through Mayan and Aztec mythologies, this being kept resurfacing. I could go on for quite a while the similarities between Spider Woman and Baba Yaga.

The key elements being they are DANGEROUS, but not necessarily EVIL. The hero/heroine usually escapes or is even helped by the witch through being kind and courteous. They both decorate their homes with the remains of their victims. Both have passwords to open their respective lairs.

The Pueblo had a way of telling of Spider Woman I really respected. As she thought of stories, those stories came to life, each connected by the threads all connecting back to her. In fact, she is thinking of this now as I type, and I am telling you what she is thinking. To seek her is to find her work everywhere.

Unfortunately, I lost most everything in a storm in 2010. We were all set to go, and poof. Shed collapse, 3 years worth of builds gone, end of the theme right there.

Out of those ashes come the Harvest theme: at the time because it was easy to do in the 60 days I had.

During my Harvest run, I've really come to find a specific style with my builds.

Branches, bones, vines, coalescing into beings.

With the building of Mother, I was first toying with the idea of what was behind creating these creatures.

Then that song above come out, and has been played many a time in my head.

And in my head, it became clear. Spider Woman did not die in 2010. She can never die. However, she has taken all those Harvest pumpkin seeds and began to create her lair again, controlling the vines to drag bones up out of the ground as servants. Barely a collection of bone and root and vine herself.

I view this as a several year project, to be honest, but want to get a lot of basics down this first year.
This scene is totally awesome.
I will follow this thread closely to see what I can steal. :D

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Continuity-Theme, plus no distractions from some other monster, theme or Monster-of-the -Month (or year.)
I listened to all of the music and found it very enjoyable, thank you.

From my creations, because this house is so unique (the parts of it I did not have anything to do with) and the very personal parts of my presentation, I feel all of these things have melded into what most would see and feel is a total experience here, not "Beholding" to any one else, and different because the sum of the mentioned "parts" to create a wholly new "Whole".
You do seem to know what you are doing and are in it for the long-term, nice!
(And the rewards have begun coming your way.)

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It almost sounds like you may have been a history/archeological teacher of sorts.
You're not far from the truth. That was my childhood.

Mom is an author or historical romance novels.

This meant most of my childhood was spent in the library. She'd be looking up news articles from the 1800s on the microfilm for hours a day, and we kids were expected to entertain ourselves with the books. My turn to the macabre started at age 5 with real life experiences, and I discovered Poe at age 6. I got hooked on legends and ghost stories and the like when Bigfoot was spotted in our neighborhood. Suddenly these things weren't just stories, but potentially real.

Anywho, I would exhaust the library of fiction on the subject quickly, and started finding the reference section books on the subject. Bigfoot searches, witches, fairies, etc, were all documented in these historical references, and I'd cross reference the associated legend books (Grimm or otherwise).

Our vacations usually ended up looking for ghost towns or lost mines, or various legends as well. I've been to ghost towns not on maps. Climbed down through lost mines deep in the wilderness around Utah and recovered gold and artifacts from them.

When my Uncle married a Paiute Indian and moved across the street, I'd spend many days listening to her grandma tell me their stories.

So yes, maybe not exactly academic, but I've had a robust study of folklore over the course of my life.

Now, has anyone heard about King Arthur stealing a cauldron from the lord of the otherworld? I'm trying to find that one having only recently heard of it...

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Been more challenging than normal getting the form cast and the rough out done, but stumbled on an air dry clay that's easier to work than DAS, which has been my go to for years. The were out so shot in the dark on this one. Hoping it's sturdy too.

·
>^..^<
797 Posts
Now, has anyone heard about King Arthur stealing a cauldron from the lord of the otherworld? I'm trying to find that one having only recently heard of it...
This? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preiddeu_Annwfn

There is also a children's book series loosely based around Welsh stories that features the same stolen cauldron (the first of the two mentioned in the link above) & its unique properties, but minus the Arthur connection. It's a fun read.

http://www.amazon.com/Black-Cauldron-Chronicles-Prydain-Book-ebook/dp/B005EYXACW/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1454461359&sr=1-1&keywords=the+black+cauldron

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's the one, and unfortunately, it doesn't translate well. 9 maidens lay in the cauldron (or it is sentient and speaks with the voice of 9 maidens) and appear to be boiled when a worthy champion comes. Unworthy ones tend to be boiled themselves. It's certainly interesting, give me a few years to think on that one more.

Ooo, thanks for the children's book, hadn't seen that one yet.

Getting the mandible roughed out. She's going to have an ugly smile.

·
Super Moderator
5,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Stupidly early lighting test.

I know it really doesn't look like anything in particular, but we learned a ton:

1 light system is going to work.
Head is very secure to the neck (a system I keep improving on)
Neck-body connection idea is solid.
Need to sculpt out the back of neck, not just leave it to the corpsing., possibly put a base for the front as well.
The light is able to be much further down the throat than expected.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts