Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I am brand new to the forums. Every Halloween I decorate my house and try to scare all of the visitors. I am not very good at building things and I don't have too much money to spend. What do you guys think are the best things to purchase to scare the life out of people? Also, I am looking to incorporate walls into the design this Halloween. What is an affordable way to build walls?
Thanks,
Andrew
EDIT: If anybody makes any props they would be willing to sell at an affordable price, I will try to buy them!

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
I would encourage you to look through the threads...General Halloween, Props, Tutorials is a good start~there are several threads that have inexpensive, alternative ideas; 2014 Dollar Store/Tree thread, what did you buy/find today?, Yard Sale Finds, show me your stones, etc. Some people post what they are making with the item or even a before & after photo. You can also use the search engine~type in walls or wall panels (for example), & see what comes up. Or 'how to get a baby in a jar'~that's a creepy project! In regards to For Sale stuff, click on FORUM, scroll down, you'll see Wanted to Buy, For Sale/Trade by Individuals, For Sale by Merchants.
Besides searching through HF threads, you can also search on Pinterest. The amount of ideas between these 2 sites will keep you busy for the next thousand years.
I'm a newbie too, and I've found the best way is to just jump in & start looking through the whole forum. There are marvelous ideas & projects here shared by amazingly talented people. Have fun!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Take some time and search through the "Halloween Props" section. You'll be surprised at some of the amazing props you can make both easily and cheaply.

One great way to get LOTS of good scares is with a ghillie suit.

Ghillie Suit.jpg

I've used one in my haunt, and you can literally hide in plain sight, especially in the dark. And as the evening progressed, the autumn leaves would stick to the suit, making it blend in even more.

Ghillie suits come in two basic configurations; pancho style and pants/jacket/hood style. Most are made with different colored threads, made of jute or synthetic materials. JUTE IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE, so I suggest getting one made with synthetic fibers. Synthetic is fire resistant and tends to be cooler than jute. They're commonly used by paintball players. I suggest getting the pants/jacket/hood style, in the woodland green color scheme.

You can get on on ebay for around $50 or $60. For that price, you'll get a LOT of bang for your buck. Just search "Paintball Ghillie Suit".

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Most bang for a limited buck is a jumping spider from Spirit Halloween. Get one when they are half off and you'll love it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most bang for a limited buck is a jumping spider from Spirit Halloween. Get one when they are half off and you'll love it.
I got one of these this past halloween when they were half off! It was great! My biggest issue with spirit items is that not all of them are the best quality.

·
Rutherford Manor Haunt
2,065 Posts
I feel the best way to scare is by using actors, props are distraction, so focus on good, reliable people to be actors in your scare, and it doesn't mean expensive costumes, a dark hooded figure scares the crap out of people just as much as a well costumed actor!

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Yeah, quality props never get old but a live actor that blends in with the rest of your haunt and remains motionless until the time is right is pretty darn tough to beat.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Then there is the "One-Two, plus 1/2-- Punch" scare.
A victim came down the long,twisty, dark, fast, slide into the wine cellar, my Brother was on his right side, I was on their left side. First my Brother rose up, scared them, then spoke normally to them, they calmed down, he looked over to where I was, I slowly moved to keep their attention, then my brother scared them again!
Think how scary it would be if you were quickly sliding through the dark, then enter a large room and there is just enough light to see about 10 hooded , real figures waiting for you on both sides of the slide, you can't see anyone's face, you stop sliding, you are surrounded! They all lunge forward towards you at the same time as all the lights go "OUT!"
This did happen once down there too!

·
Registered
897 Posts
The scarecrow and other costume ideas are good. The simplest things are usually scarier just because they are so simple.

I dressed as a witch/crone every year and stand on my screened porch/deck which is set up like a witches den while I hand out candy. Even before I started decorating my yard much I still had the odd prop in the yard. One year before we built my deck I was sitting on my front porch, dressed as an old crone, and a dad came TOTing to the house with his son and daughter. I had just been sitting there waiting for more kids and wasn't even trying to hide or scare anyone. The dad was busy tryin to get the masks back on the kids and making sure the costumes were good before knocking on the door. I was holding a basket of candy and waved my hand at the little girl. She smiled and waved back at me while the dad was busy with the son. I thought the dad had realised it was me dressed in costume but he didn't know that. Just as the dad turned to face me I was reaching into the basket to get some candy for the little girl and as soon as the dad saw me move he screamed like a little girl and jumped back about two feet, he jsut about went backwards off my front porch but grabbed the post in time to stop his fall. He got so scared and after we knew he was not hurt we all had a good laugh; I just about wet myself I was laughing so hard.

I asked him why he got so scared and told him I thought he saw me moving in the chair when he was coming up the porch. He said no he hadn't seen me move and thought I was just another of my decorations until I scared him.

The following year I asked my cousin's wife (she is a halloween baby and loves to dress up) to dress as a reaper and scare Rennie when he comes to the house. He now keeps an eye out for me to make sure he knows where I am before he comes near the yard so I knew I wouldn't be able to scare him again so I wanted to have the fake reaper in the yard and have her dressed as another reaper and scare the heck out of him as he went by her. Unfortunately on Halloween she had to go out of town and couldn't do it. The last two years he just stands out on the road and sends his kids in. They just laugh and point at him and say he is to scared to come to the house. He stands at the road and waves. :D

Best scare I ever gave and it was unintentional. I am just glad I was dressed as a crone and not myself or that would be embarassing. :)

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The scarecrow and other costume ideas are good. The simplest things are usually scarier just because they are so simple.

I dressed as a witch/crone every year and stand on my screened porch/deck which is set up like a witches den while I hand out candy. Even before I started decorating my yard much I still had the odd prop in the yard. One year before we built my deck I was sitting on my front porch, dressed as an old crone, and a dad came TOTing to the house with his son and daughter. I had just been sitting there waiting for more kids and wasn't even trying to hide or scare anyone. The dad was busy tryin to get the masks back on the kids and making sure the costumes were good before knocking on the door. I was holding a basket of candy and waved my hand at the little girl. She smiled and waved back at me while the dad was busy with the son. I thought the dad had realised it was me dressed in costume but he didn't know that. Just as the dad turned to face me I was reaching into the basket to get some candy for the little girl and as soon as the dad saw me move he screamed like a little girl and jumped back about two feet, he jsut about went backwards off my front porch but grabbed the post in time to stop his fall. He got so scared and after we knew he was not hurt we all had a good laugh; I just about wet myself I was laughing so hard.

I asked him why he got so scared and told him I thought he saw me moving in the chair when he was coming up the porch. He said no he hadn't seen me move and thought I was just another of my decorations until I scared him.

The following year I asked my cousin's wife (she is a halloween baby and loves to dress up) to dress as a reaper and scare Rennie when he comes to the house. He now keeps an eye out for me to make sure he knows where I am before he comes near the yard so I knew I wouldn't be able to scare him again so I wanted to have the fake reaper in the yard and have her dressed as another reaper and scare the heck out of him as he went by her. Unfortunately on Halloween she had to go out of town and couldn't do it. The last two years he just stands out on the road and sends his kids in. They just laugh and point at him and say he is to scared to come to the house. He stands at the road and waves. :D

Best scare I ever gave and it was unintentional. I am just glad I was dressed as a crone and not myself or that would be embarassing. :)

Welcome to the forum.
Thank you! I would love to do something like this, but I always have a lack of actors! Hopefully I can get more for this year!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts