Halloween Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
I was a tot in the 60's and although there really weren't any houses that decorated like we do now I remember having those giant paper bags with the handles and having to stop home cause the bag was filled and then go back out. Those full sized candy bars were the best. I remember when we were finished me and my brother would dump everything in a pile and trade candy. There was one house that would make you do something for the candy.....I always hated going to that house. One house always gave out those red hard candy apples without razor blades of course :eek:

·
Registered
392 Posts
70s for me too. I remember the old style Halloween costumes, I had pink panther one year. I loved the smell of those old plastic masks with the string. And back then school always had Halloween parties, so we got to wear our costumes twice. In our small town they had a town bonfire and weenie roast before setting out to TOT. We used the brown paper bags from the grocery store to collect or candy in. I hated getting apples or even cookies...I wanted the candy!!!!!!!! The days leading up to the big night, were filled with the smells and sounds of fall. Raking and then burning the fallen leaves, carving the pumkins,harvesters in the fields late at night trying to get the crops in. Fall has always been my absolute favorite time of the year!

·
Registered
148 Posts
70's -80's for me too. My mom really got into it and it rubbed off on me too. She did everything-parties-decorations-dressing up-good times. Other adults in the neighborhood would come over and get made up by her too. She was just that darn good.

My school had decorations in the classrooms and we always had a party with a costume contest. Its a shame that alot of schools don't do that anymore.

Halloween movies-some great ones came out of the era that to this day I feel are the best.

Great memories* I'm doing my best to make sure my kid loves it as much as I do.

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,521 Posts
Ben Cooper costumes and vintage Biestle cut outs that my Mom had. Classic stuff!
Ditto here.

I even found 2 of my favourite Ben Cooper costumes on Ebay a few years ago & bought them.

·
Registered
5 Posts

These were the mainstay at my house. We had a full basement that our parents would let me and my brothers decorate how we wanted for the holidays, Halloween would be deocrations like this, christmas lights around the walls so we could keep the lights off and a record player on the sound effects side of a Disney LP about haunted stories and sounds.
Watching for Charlie Brown Halloween and any animated cartoons and movies on Saturday's "Shock Theater" show from Asheville, NC tv station. Of course pre-cable tv.
Sourballs, MaryJanes, minature candy bars, candy corn...
GOOD MEMORIES of those days

·
Registered
25 Posts
I was the 80's and early 90's myself. I had the typical KY suburb TOT experience: LOTS of kids everywhere, houses were pretty close together, and almost every house participated in my neighborhood. Even though the area that I would TOT in was only 2 or three blocks, it felt like a journey that would rival Stand By Me.

My favorite houses to go to were the ones that just had a bowl sitting outside and a jack-o-lantern lit. There were quite a few of these since many parents were out TOTing with their kids and so no one was home. I remember one in particular like this that had a haunted house soundtrack going on a boombox. The combo of a dark, empty house, the soundtrack and a glowing, smiling pumpkin was enough to give me chills as a kid....the fun kind of chills.

My parents always decorated the house and let us help, which was cool. I remember the Beistle cut-outs as well. I don't know what it was about those simple decorations, but I absolutely loved them as a kid, and I still do. I would always try to copy that style by taping four pieces of paper together to make my canvas so I could draw and color my own Beistle-type decoration. I remember doing that to the Ghostbusters 2 soundtrack one year, probably 1988 or so. That is a great memory because the music helped me to get into my drawing in an almost hypnotic fashion.

Then, there was the Disney's Halloween Treat TV special that my mom would always get us excited about. I loved that talking foam jack-o-lantern.

Man, there is just something in the air around Halloween. Here I am at age 30, not feeling a day older than I did when I was coloring my mock-Beistle trying to make sure that I never forget that 'something in the air'. What's funny is that I seem to become more aware of it as I get older. That, to me is a gift from God. I absolutely love this Holiday. Thanks for the great thread idea and the memories that everyone is sharing!

-Joey

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am a child of the 90s and there are so many things I loved about Halloween as a kid.

"That feeling," as I like to call it, always manifested after the first weekend in October. In my eastern Kentucky mountain town, that's when the local Apple Festival is held. It's a weekend-long street fair and one of the first true signs of autumn approaching. As a kid, I looked through the arts and crafts tents with my mom and mammaw, and always got excited to see any hint of the ol' black and orange or an inconspicuous ghostie set upon home decorations or hair ribbons.

I grew up in the era of "Nick-or-Treat", an epic sweepstakes televised on Nickelodeon. Kids would call in and pick a house in Nick's animated neighborhood. Behind the door would be a prize for them. In between callers, they would typically show scary programs like Ahh! Real Monsters! and Are You Afraid of the Dark? and spooky episodes of Rocko's Modern Life (The Hopping Hessian, anyone?) and Rugrats. My favorite of these was The Adventures of Pete & Pete Halloween special. To this day, I use it to kick start my Halloween celebrations or as a pick me up when I need some Halloween spirit.

Trick-or-treating was the alpha and omega of the season. So much time went into costume selection for me - when I was little, my mom would make my costumes, but as I aged I would just pick something out. I remember my favorite was my Kindergarten Halloween costume - I was Cleopatra because I had a raging obsession with ancient Egypt. It was always an event when my big brother and I would draw out a map of the neighborhood and decide which houses we would hit. One woman who lived down the street would scare the bejeezus out of all of us by making as much noise as possible from behind the tall fence that concealed her swimming pool. She stood on a ladder and tossed the candy over to us. It was liberating getting to roam the neighborhood dressed as whatever you wanted. One year (I was in third grade, I believe) I had strep throat and begged to go because I would have been devastated if I had missed it - thankfully, I was allowed out for only an hour, then promptly and snugly tucked into bed. There was always trick-or-treating at school either on Halloween or the Friday before. Our teachers would take us around town and each business would give treats to all of the schoolkids.

Speaking of school, the class party was always a big deal. Someone's mom inevitably made witches' brew, a delicious punch made with orange sherbet, lemon-lime soda, and pineapple juice (and possibly something else - to this day I can't find just the right recipe), or dirt pudding or the cookies with ghosts or jack o'lanterns printed on them. I loved when my teachers would decorate the classrooms. You knew fall was in full swing when jack o'lanterns, ghosts, witches, black cats, and monsters were leering down at you while you took your weekly spelling tests, and the librarian was pulling all the spooky books for everyone to check out.

For me, Halloween was always a time of freedom, a time of magic, a time to revel in things that defy explanation, and most importantly, a time to be a kid - looking upon everything in the world with endless wonder!

·
Emperor of Candlewood
4,330 Posts

These were the mainstay at my house. We had a full basement that our parents would let me and my brothers decorate how we wanted for the holidays, Halloween would be deocrations like this, christmas lights around the walls so we could keep the lights off and a record player on the sound effects side of a Disney LP about haunted stories and sounds.
Watching for Charlie Brown Halloween and any animated cartoons and movies on Saturday's "Shock Theater" show from Asheville, NC tv station. Of course pre-cable tv.
Sourballs, MaryJanes, minature candy bars, candy corn...
GOOD MEMORIES of those days
Haha! I soooo remember this exact cardboard cut-out kit! I believe my mom still has a few of them left in fairly good conditions.. :D

F

·
0 Posts
I am living my childhood Halloween. I spent the last couple years hunting down original cutouts from the 80s just as were pictured by tampat as well as the Halloween Blowmolds I remembered seeing at my favorite homes. I also loved Disneys Halloween Treat and Scary Tales so I hunted those down as well. The childhood memories of spiced cider and heavy bags or candy still haunt me daily. I will forever celebrate Halloween and help keep the memories burning.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I was a late 70's/80's kid. I loved all the halloween cut-outs! A few years ago, I did a retro Halloween party and bought as many of them as I could. Something about their simplicity speaks of innocence and days gone by. Those were good times!!

My fave part of toting was my mom taking us to the nice neighborhoods in her station wagon. She would put the rear door down and let us ride on it through the streets from house to house. Of course she drove very slowly! Nowadays you couldn't get away with letting your kids do that.

I also remember when we had our first Halloween party and I wore a home made costume - I was a gypsy! We danced to disco music all night. Oh, what great memories!!!

·
Registered
325 Posts
I remember the 60's and 70's too. Back then houses that were dark and either no one was home or they didn't answer were actually rare. I miss seeing groups of kids all over the place like back then. My favorite Halloween was when I made a robot costume out of a couple of boxes, some tinfoil and other items from around the house like a strawberry basket. I wore grey sweatpants underneath it. It was awesome.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I was only a 'kid' a few years ago, but I used to have a sneezing portrait from Wal-Mart. Anyone still have one of these? They were awesome; you walk by, the mouth moves, and they would spit out water! I still am so sad I threw mine out... :(

·
His name is Roger Clyne
9,521 Posts
I am living my childhood Halloween. I spent the last couple years hunting down original cutouts from the 80s just as were pictured by tampat as well as the Halloween Blowmolds I remembered seeing at my favorite homes.
Aren't we all doing that? :D

I still have those Beistle cut outs though so I didn't need to search for them like I did my Ben Cooper Princess costume.

So all you fogeys can step into the Wayback Machine & find your favourite Ben Cooper costume HERE.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I was a TOT in the 70's. Usually my brother or I would be a ghost made out of a sheet with holes for eyes. It was a very cumbersome outfit because you could never see properly and we were always tripping over the sheet.

One year my mother dressed up as a witch. She blacked out a couple of her teeth with black wax. She came round the corner and my brother and I freaked out! She scared us to death.

By 79-80 I was 12 and we were already starting to build our own haunts. We would start in the summer while school was out and cut out tombstones out of cardboard. We did not have any money so pumpkins and corn stalks were a major decoration. We would all pool our money together so that we could go into town and buy a single mask from Spencer's. We thought the mask was so cool. Usually one of the moms would help out and buy us some dry ice. Of course a ghost zipping along on a fishing line was also part of the gig.

We had so much fun!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was TOTing in the 70's. Mom would never get me "storebought" costumes, she insisted on making them herself. Here's me as a "hobo" (when was the last time you heard THAT word?!?), and my brother, Dracula. *Gotta love that Polaroid quality pic*

I always seemed to pick costumes that would require a dirty face, the effect which could only be achieved, apparently, by my mom smudging my face with a burnt cork. I love that smell, LOL!

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Ah! Biestle (SP?), Ben Cooper, and...dare I say it...Kooky Spooks? I know, I'm a dork, but I loved those. I think I had at least two of them, if not three. I think I had 2-3 of the Ben Cooper Snoopy costumes too, because I just didn't care for the others they had. I wasn't much of a girly girl. ;)

I would love to do the inside of my home with 70's/80's decor (and older, even though I admit my parents didn't buy much Halloween stuff before I became a fanatic at age four). Cutesy stuff is only allowed INdoors, though. Spooky stuff goes outside. :)

There was only one house in our town that really decorated "right". The owner was the dance/acrobat instructor (she taught out of her home), and she would dress as a witch, with her adult daughter dressed as a HUGE black cat. She had a blacklight (cheapo incandescent) bulb on her porch, spooky music, and everything was D-A-R-K. You had to step inside and reach into the cauldron to get your candy, too. She was the coolest! Other than jack o' lanterns and cutouts, we were the only ones who decorated, besides her. We always made a stuffed dummy out of my dad's coveralls (he was a truck driver) and a fencing mask that I'd managed to scavenge out of someone's trash one bike riding afternoon (innocent whistle there), and sat him on the front porch. Kids would be afraid to go get their candy, thinking it was a person dressed as a dummy, waiting to grab them. (of course living in the "real" haunted house of the town didn't help either). I used to love to decorate their house, I miss it so much. I wish that I could do it this year, just one last time before it's sold. I don't think that's going to happen, though.

I remember taking my niece out one year in the mid 90's too, and a new chiropractor had moved into town after I'd stopped ToTing myself. He bought the dance teacher's old house, and put out his Bucky on the porch...but it wasn't the same.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Ahhh I can remember TOTing in NJ with pillowcases( mom wouldnt spend money on buckets or pumpkins :O) and there was one lady down the street who had a few decorations out( the normal 70's jointed scarecrow on the door, the blowmold ghost-which is sought after even now, a few webs and spiders) but on Halloween she would open up her garage and the garage was full of tables and tables of candy by the boxfull...and not the stuff like today( trying to get as much bang for the buck like bubble gum with like 400 in a bag to stretch the candy budget) Im talking the good stuff...full sized bars of chocolate, lifesaver pops, blow pops, packs of gum, packs of life savers, candy cigarettes( LOL yes the original ones), giant pixie stix, too many things to choose and we could have as much as we wanted. It was like being in Willy Wonka's house. In this day and age should someone do that it would cost probably over a thousand bucks worth of candy if not more. She was hailed amoung TOT's as being the best house to go to on Halloween. :)

21 - 40 of 48 Posts