Halloween Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing everyone's cemetery columns, I decided to give it a try plus it would make my cemetery look better. Thinking of getting black plastic chain to run between the columns as I just don't have the storage space for a fence. Any ways, here is what I got done this past weekend, with an explantation at the bottom.

image.jpg

I built a total of 4 large columns and 2 smaller columns.

image.jpg

So here is the foam on one of them. In the bottom section, there will be a speaker hidden in it. Towards the top on the back side will be the Led's for the Lightning simulator. So 2 of the large columns will have this set up. Then I'll have 2 more large columns for the entry way with a skeleton light on top of each. Like these:

image.jpg

In the 2 smaller columns, there will also be a speaker hidden in them and these will be placed about 1/2 way to the castle wall. To get a little better understanding, here was my setup last year.

image.jpg

I will keep updating this as my build continues. If you have any suggestions, I'm all ears. Also want to thank everyone on here for the how to's and endless ideas I get from y'all.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Yes I have been running the caution tape for years. This coming Halloween it will be wooden fencing with the cemetery
pillars. All mine are made, 8 of them. 6 are painted. I have to finish the last 2. Might work on that tomorrow. Then the fence
start assembling as well. Good idea with the speakers in them. That will work out good.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got a little more done today. Got all of them foamed and started making the motor joints.

image.jpg

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank ya. I have lots to do every year so I must start early and I enjoy building things plus I enjoy Halloween. After these, then I have 2 fog chillers slash tombstones to build, auto flying ghost, face room and an X files room. I'll keep updating this thread as I go.

As I'm always finding easier ways to do things. Today I learned if you take a knife and score the foam before you spray paint the mortar joints, it doesn't take as much paint to get the effect needed. Only took the castle wall and 1 column to figure that one out, doh! Lol

·
Registered
628 Posts
That's a pretty long list but looks like you've got a good start. I'll keep that tip in mind as I think I'm going to be doing some foam stonework in the not too distant future.
I'l be watching this thread for updates.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My learning curve is still very active, lol. Well a storm came up so I put up a pop up canopy so I could continue. Well I technically could but the results are vastly different. So unless it's warm, low humidity and/or the sun's out (only thing I can think), don't try to make the motor joints. Here I'll show you my learning curve.:

image.jpg

That is with the sun out and warm out.

image.jpg

This is during the rain. Tried to use a heat gun to help but all that did was eat completely through the foam. Oh well, I'll get back on them next weekend.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Your dog looks like it's thinking "What... you can do all this, but you can't build me a doggy condo out back?" ;)

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know it's not the effect you were going for but the rainy bottom one looks older to me. Even the extra spray speckles add to the rough feeling.
Ya I agree, but now it don't match the rest of them. But gives an option for a later date though.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is after using a heat gun for some texture.

image.jpg

Done painting them, will post in a bit.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here they are painted.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got Two led shelves to mount in the back. Then I have a few figurines and some moss that will be on top of them on Halloween. Start next weekend on a half tombstone thing to hide a projector, speakers, amp, DVDs player, and a power strip for some talking pumpkins.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Painted the etched letters red to update the sign that I put out on the main Blvd into the neighbor hood.

image.jpg

Been drawing sketches up for this years walk through. I change it up every year so no one knows what or where anything is at.

image.jpg

Painted the white masks with glow in the dark paint for the face room that will be lit with a few black lights. Someone will be dressed in all black wearing one of these somewhere in the room. Total of 50 masks.

image.jpg

Here is a pic of one just in the dark without a black light. Getting to a black light would be time consuming because they are all packed up. They are actually green but in one pic it shows up as blue for whatever reason and the pics don't show that they completely glow either. I don't know why but oh well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Start on something else next weekend. See y'all later.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Your dog looks like it's thinking "What... you can do all this, but you can't build me a doggy condo out back?" ;)

Wow, just noticed your in Fleming Island, that's where my parents live. I try to visit them often as they aren't getting any younger.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This year for the walk through, I'll have a dead end or two, haven't decided. Anyways one of my thoughts are to have it where they will walk to the dead end then an IR detector will pick them up, thus cause a black light to light up the hidden words on the wall and maybe have a clown laughing at the same time. Also at this time, it will light a sign in the hallway they just walked down stating where a hidden door is. This will do a few things, one is it'll make the walk through longer without having to add walls, another is they will trigger some scares more than once, and lastly, it'll make them lose a sense of direction of where they are at within the walk through.

I have found an electric door plunger so if I decide to put an actual door up, then I can have it locked till they reach a dead in. Then the note on the wall will tell them that the door is open now or something to that effect.

image.jpg

In the end, I'm trying to make it maze like but not an actual maze, if that makes any sense to you.

Another thought is to have 2 or 3 actual doors and have them go different routes each time. So for group A's route would be one way, then group B's would be another way. This would create a mystery for those out front waiting as they won't be able to figure out the sequence of scares. But this idea will probably have to wait till next year to pull off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts