Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At last, I got around to start my Pirate theme, here is a teaser of what eventually will be my entrance prop (static)

I also started with my treasure chest which will be in a cave protected by 4 pirates and a firing canon if you dare to approach :)

But I just realized how big the trunk is :eek: and I find that you can see a lot of the base.

any tips/ideas to conceal it so the treasure looks more

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
You are off to a great start! As for your question on how to make it look like there is more treasure in the chest, try carefully crumpling up sheets of aluminum foil, then opening them back up to be somewhat flat. You want a lot of surface texture, then paint it gold. Use this under the actual treasure pieces.

I also did a search online for plastic gold coins. I picked up 2 bags of 144 coins for about $10 dollars with shipping.

I used the aluminum foil trick as the underlayment for the treasure in this scene 6 years ago.

Here's another fairly easy idea for a mast if you are planning to do one. This was 20' tall and made of two 10' long PVC pipes for the main mast. The crows nest is wooden plaster lathe attached to a 1"x2" frame. The sails were white shower curtains.

Fair winds and following seas to you on your voyage to making this haunt a reality!

Eric

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tnx for the tip, Eric.
I will try the foil technique.
I already have 3 bag's of 144 gold coins used :eek:

If you look at the first picture then you can see a small boat which I will put a mast on and a steering wheel, so still a lot to do

·
Registered
350 Posts
Another idea is poker chips or wooden blanks painted gold (like you can take a large dowel and cut it into pieces if you have a miter saw), although that might not be any cheaper than the gold pieces you already have. You can also put your cheaper/lousier gold coins at the bottom and the good stuff at the top.

Your goblets and crowns and rings are wonderful!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tnx for the tips,

Eric I took your advise and used crumbled foil and base coated it black and then sprayed sparkling gold over it.
But, I ran out of paint (duh) and thought how to go further with this because the shops are closed now, than I realized that my wife recently made a wedding card for a friend and she used that glitter stuff.
So I found small tubes of gold, silver, red, green and blue glitter and after I sprayed the area withe adhesive I sprinkled it al over.

I have to say, I like the effect a lot

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The glitter was a great idea!!! That extra bit of shine fills in the blank areas nicely! It looks great! :cool:

Eric

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Looks like the glittery stuffed worked out great, i was going to suggest a piece of red or purple fabric. The poker chips painted gold or silver work out great for filler pieces.
Looks like you are off to a great start!

·
Registered
449 Posts
We cut plywood into irregular pieces (for stand-alone treasure piles) or rectangles (for placing on top of an open chest), then spray with Great Stuff (trying not to look too intestine-y). When dry, spray paint the whole thing gold, then hot-glue on gems, necklaces, and coins in some places. It turns out really nice and they are very sturdy for outdoor display. Each year I just have to do a bit of touch-up to the paint and the glue, but they have held up for something like 6 years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The Party City in my area sells Mardi Gras beads for .10 a string. I bought a whole bunch of them and used them in my chest and put a bunch around my skelly's arms and neck too. Sometimes, Goodwill for toys and such that can be used for booty also.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts