Halloween Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I would like some input from my fellow haunters.

Here's my dilemma...

For the past 5 years we have done it pretty big(yard, front porch, garage, and of course inside).....

We now live in an upstairs apartment, and the only outside space we have is a covered balcony.

99% of all my big stuff is in a storage unit, so should I just do up the balcony as big as possible? Or should I take this year off?

And if the answer is do up the balcony, what are some ideas or pics you guys have of your similar setups?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a full size sliding glass door that leads out onto the balcony. Other than that, no useable windows on the apartment that are viewable(trees blocking and such).

·
Registered
36 Posts
Last year was my first year in an apartment with a balcony and I decorated because I love decorating.... but it was a hassle! def alot diiferent then a yard for sure! im thinking about doing something really simple this year maybe just pumpkins, spiderwebs and lighting...

·
Evil Wizard
2,165 Posts
You should ask around of your neighbors whether they get any ToTs within the apartment building/complex. If the kids don't go trick-or-treating there, then maybe just do minimal decorations on the balcony, rather than be disappointed. (Unless, of course, you know and accept that you'd be decorating solely for your own enjoyment.)

I had lived in an apartment for five years, and never once had or even saw any kids TOTing in the area, but even so every year I carved JOLs and set them out on my balcony. Had small bowl of candy ready too, just in case anyone knocked on my door.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Depends on a few things.
1 Are you having a party this year? If so decorate if not take the year off.
2. How long have you lived there? If you take the year off and don't move to a mor Halloween fiendly set up withim the next year (house) you may find yourself taking next year off as well.
3. Is there a "community " area apartment complex? Lobby, dining hall or something? If so, you could ask other tenants if they would like to set up some type of Halloween party for the complex's tenants and kids. You could use your bigger stuff from storage and get others involved.
4. The last thing I could suggest is farm your stuff yourself out as loan to a local church or school haunt. Get involved at a community leval if not at home

Hope this helps Marc V.

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
I say do up the balcony!! We live in a condo, and basically only have a side patio area to decorate, as shown below. I also decorate the front door/porch, the entryway, upstairs windows looking out, the dining room table, the fireplace mantel, the stairway railing, etc.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
One thing I forgot to mention is that my decor outside usually is not FOR ToT's.... I go waaaaay on the gore/creepy side of things. It's more of a display...haha

Thanks for the input so far. I certainly appreciate it. Keep it coming!

·
The Duke of Spook
1,976 Posts
You should do your balcony Osenator style
Are there enough props left on the northern side of this continent to pull off such an impossible feet?

·
Registered
500 Posts
I live in a second floor apartment with a covered balcony too, and I say go for it. I just started getting serious about decorating last year, so it's not too impressive, but you can see what I did with my apartment last year at the link in my signature. Did I get more than three ToTs? No. But it sounds like that's not your first priority anyway, so try looking at this as a challenge to see how much creepiness you can fit into a small space :D.

·
Registered
211 Posts
This is my 3rd year in the same apartment. I managed to put a couple of things out each year. I got the posable skeleton and plug in Jack-o-lantern from Target that I plan to put out. I'm hoping to get a house next year.

My patio from last year..
IMAG0259_zpsda37c47e.jpg

·
Registered
706 Posts
Well, I do have yard space but our front porch is an integral part of our walkthrough. Don't underestimate the height aspect, as that roof gives you plenty of space to hide lights, hang "floating" LED-candles or eyes or other things that can be seen from a distance. If there's a window, incorporate the window. Spiderwebs, bats, vinyl or other removable fake blood spatter, pick a favorite big thing to put out... Haunted apartment? Creepy lady in the window at midnight? Big eyeballs that follow every car that drives by? Second story buys you a little distance for things that might not work up close.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Last year was my first haunt since me and my wife moved into a apt and we are also on the upper floor but still took the challenge and made a awesome display inside and outside our apt so I know it can be done I'm a newbie to all this but I recommend giving it a shot you'll never know till you try :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
Sure decorate the balcony--I am sure it must have people who view it. You never know how much you might be adding to someone's Halloween experience just by giving them something to feast their eyes on. Even if no one else saw it--you will and it sounds like you enjoy Halloween enough that, that is all the reason you need.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts