Halloween Forum banner
1 - 20 of 416 Posts

· Super Moderator
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting to be that time again. At least to get the ground work done.

Tilled up the garden last night. I was initially a little disappointed. After composting all the pumpkins and leaves from last year, it's not great soil in there yet. Still a bit hard, and the new tiller (paid for by selling the transi tomb) struggled in places.

Then, I look back. This time last year, that was grass there and the sod cutter struggled with cutting into the soil. The garden bed has VASTLY improved over last years' already, and it's a little surprising how much more SPACE I have to work with this year as well. The bed is roughly twice the size of last year, since areas that were unworkable last year are now fine thanks to sheet composting all the grass/weeds, and transplanting the raven grass, it reaches all the way to the fence. It's just going to take a couple more years to get the real rich soil that my smaller bed boasts. We'll be able to be completely self sufficient without my Uncle's farm if we ever need to be. Just won't be able to do corn as well.

Tested new plan for watering, and it worked wonderfully. Honest to goodness ROWS this year.

We're unseasonably warm, and I'm considering planting earlier as a result. Rule of thumb is to wait till Mother's day around here, but the one corn variety I bought is frost tolerant anyway, so I think I'll plant it on May day. This would accelerate my whole schedule 2 weeks, and might mean fresh corn on the 4th of July.

3 varieties of corn this year. The early frost tolerant corn, a supersweet corn to be planted a couple weeks after the first to avoid cross pollination, and some silage corn (technically a maize) to be planted several weeks after THAT, chosen because it grows TALL, to be used for decoration. This should give us fresh home grown corn July through August and enough stalks I shouldn't need to go harvest corn or reed grass from anywhere else unless I decide I want the reed grass look.

Doing a three sisters garden amidst all this, so beans get planted a couple weeks after each corn, followed by pumpkins a couple weeks after the beans.

Have technically 8 varieties of pumpkins this year, but really only 4.

Lumina (the white ones from last year)
Sugar (small pie pumpkins to be carved and placed on stakes)
Musque de Provence (french brown pumpkin)
Cinderella pumpkins.

The other 4 was is mini pumpkin mix (technically gourds) I'm planting along the fence and letting it climb the fence, for my daughter.

Moved a ton of raven grass last fall, split, replanted. Not sure if it's made it or not yet. I normally transplant the stuff in the spring, but needed to clear it out last fall so the garden was ready now. Most likely going to be a light crop of it this year even if the transplants survived they usually don't really produce the first year.

· Monster Collector
3,411 Posts
Yeah, I have a lot of work to do on ours this year. As soon as a nice day stretch of days hit to dry the ground I want to get out there to till. I plan on building up the soil a bit this year as well.

· Protector of the winged
1,491 Posts
What's a good websight to visit to learn about planting pumpkins? I wondered if it was too late but, I see maybe not. For several years I've wanted to plant some.. I even have a few packets that I purchased a few years ago but, never made it into the ground :eek: Any links would be much appreciated!

· Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
i just winged it last year with some of the cheap seeds from walmart... was a lot of frustration watching all my female buds fall off and die before they'd even open up to be pollinated. but i did finally have some open and get fertilized.

if you're wanting to plant the ones you have, try some in a clear baggie with a wet paper towel or cotton balls to see if they're still any good.

otherwise, google is great to get some tips and im sure someone in this thread knows a lot more about it than i do since this is only my second year growing and even still, im just winging it again lol

· Super Moderator
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
What's a good websight to visit to learn about planting pumpkins? I wondered if it was too late but, I see maybe not. For several years I've wanted to plant some.. I even have a few packets that I purchased a few years ago but, never made it into the ground :eek: Any links would be much appreciated!
http://www.allaboutpumpkins.com/growing.html

Oh no, its not even close to being too late. I see you're in Idaho, so I'd guess you want to be planting around the end of may/first of june for temperature reasons, but could get away as late as mid june.

· Reanimater of Souls
650 Posts
I'm attempting this year. Semi blindly after much failure in TX. Wee bee's and Hercules are about 6 in Che's high. I've got only one vine of cinderella's coming up, about a foot already though, and the sugar pies are good. I can't seem to get my baby boo's to sprout. I've planted fresh seeds three times now. For some reason the squirrels around here seem to really like those particular seeds and keep digging them up before germination. Looks like no white pumpkins for me this year...I'm still very stoked about the progress thus far.

· Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
this thread needs pictures. so heres mine. just my plot obviously since things dont germinate overnight lol.

gonna be pretty crowded since its only about 10x8 and i planted quite a lot of seeds but thats alright. dont have much space in my yard for a bigger patch so i work with what i have.

1,491 Posts
i just winged it last year with some of the cheap seeds from walmart... was a lot of frustration watching all my female buds fall off and die before they'd even open up to be pollinated. but i did finally have some open and get fertilized.

if you're wanting to plant the ones you have, try some in a clear baggie with a wet paper towel or cotton balls to see if they're still any good.

otherwise, google is great to get some tips and im sure someone in this thread knows a lot more about it than i do since this is only my second year growing and even still, im just winging it again lol
Thankyou Mariposa for the suggestion on how to check my old seeds. I'll get that started tonight. I hope they're good but, if not, seeds don't cost too much anyway :)

Reactions: mariposa0283

1,491 Posts
http://www.allaboutpumpkins.com/growing.html

Oh no, its not even close to being too late. I see you're in Idaho, so I'd guess you want to be planting around the end of may/first of june for temperature reasons, but could get away as late as mid june.
Thanks for link! I'm thrilled that it's not too late here. I'm hoping I can get these planted the end of this month. It did freeze here last night too so good thing I didn't get ahead of myself (like that would ever happen.. I'm such a procrastinator) :rolleyes:

1,491 Posts
lol i had a bunch of black birds worming in mine yesterday. i had to keep shooing them away because i had already planted the seeds.

darn birds!
LOL.. Placing a net over your plot might help keep them off. They sell netting at Lowes, Home Depot and many other farm stores that are specifically for keeping birds off. Good luck and thanks for posting a pic!

· Monster Collector
3,411 Posts
Went out today and cut and resized the patch area. Step Dad brought over the tiller and did that as well. All I have to do now is fill it with some fresh soil and seed! This is now 8'X6'.

· Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
Went out today and cut and resized the patch area. Step Dad brought over the tiller and did that as well. All I have to do now is fill it with some fresh soil and seed! This is now 8'X6'.

how many are you planning on planting in there? my plot is just a little bigger than yours and ive got over 30 seeds in it lol. i know its going to be super crowded but if i work the vines right it should work out pretty decent.

· Super Moderator
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
how many are you planning on planting in there? my plot is just a little bigger than yours and ive got over 30 seeds in it lol. i know its going to be super crowded but if i work the vines right it should work out pretty decent.
I'll be interested in how yours work out then.

Presently, my Uncle (who is at my Grandpa's old place) plants pumpkins for us, but he's no spring chicken and I need to plan ahead for when that's not possible. I'd have to crowd pretty hard to get the ~100 pumpkins/year we use out of our plot.

Mother nature is blessing us with rain the last couple days, which is good since my irrigation pump is busted. Hoping to have corn sprouting soon.

· Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
yea im anxious to see how mine is going to turn out. last year i just used the strip along the side of the garage (2x8), dumped 8 seeds in one spot and they all sprouted within days but only about 2 vines actually put anything on. some of the seeds i used in the garden this year are ones i dug out of one of our JOL's last year so we'll see if they do anything at all. so far its been a week and still nothing is sprouting.. but its also been dry up until last night. hoping i get some green besides weeds soon.

· Super Moderator
6,567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Saving seeds out of pumpkins is a lot like playing roulette.

I dumped literally thousands, if not millions of seeds into the garden (cleaned 110 pumpkins, so however many that works out to) when we cleaned pumpkins in 2011. 2012, I would say not even 1 in 10 sprouted from those (which was fine, I was planting anyway, not counting on the volunteers). And what did sprout yielded some quite varied results, from bicolored pumpkins to nice jacks, to tiny little things. The way pumpkins breed, you don't see the crossbreeding features until the following year, so it really is a crapshoot what those seeds will turn out to be. Especially when you're planting oddball varieties like I do.

Then, I didn't dry out and actually plant those either, just dumped them in the fall and dealt with what came in the spring, so you should have a much better germination than I did.

· Resident Potterhead
1,971 Posts
my bed from last year has a ton of random pumpkin seeds that we tilled in, once the pumpkins rotted we just tossed them in there and let them decompose into the soil, so im expecting maybe a few volunteers in that patch. but the ones i saved specifically from the big JOL we bought im not expecting much from. and i wont even know whats what anyways until things start getting bigger since i just threw them in there randomly lol.

1 - 20 of 416 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.