Halloween Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heres the link to a rough test of my pirate crewmen for my ship. The center crewman is taking the captains part for I have yet to finish the 3-axis skull, but that will be up shortly. I hope you enjoy... keep in mind its my first try lol :p
Thanks again Halloweenbob for the help! http://youtube.com/watch?v=eiTxDBiQbD8

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
That's awesome TDD! I nabbed one of those skulls from Michael's thinking that the jaw was movable enough to work, you certainly prove that theory. What hardware/software did you use?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used VSA with a Parallax usb servo board. Then I just used Audacity... recorded my voice for each characters of the song and used waveformanalysis in vsa (makes the servos move following the soundwave... cool and easy way to cheat).. and just hooked it all up. Its a ds821 servo mouned to the side of the skull right above the cheekbone (zygomatic if you want to get technical)... between there and where the dreadlocks attach... then just ran a bar from the servo arm to the side of the jaw... Id be glad to post pictures if youd like... its kinda hard to see in the video... but you could also add the servos inside of the skull... it would take more work but look better and make the servo whine quieter.... thanks for the comment! Let me know if I can help, Mike

·
Scarhead Brain Tumor Guy
946 Posts
I was wondering about the servo location, did you cut one of these skulls open to see if it was hollow or if there would something to mount to?

And if that's your voice recording, it's EXCELLENT...you should be doing voiceovers with duzaben!

·
Mistress of the 7 Seas
847 Posts
Those turned out great TDD!!!! I can't wait to see your 3 axis in there too. So did you end up making 3 jaw only motion and 1, 3 axis? I really like the song your using and your voice is a dream, I may just have to use you for my next years script change if that's ok with you, MrU is right it does sound professional. Oh yea, and you can do some drums too, LOL. Anyway fantastic job, I'm still going to try to make it out to your place if I can to see everything in person, this is definitely turning out to be a must see.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are completely hollow but a mount could be easily made. These arent the ones on the string though... cept they can be hung from a piece of twine... but these arent the animated ones they are selling.... theyre usually on the wall with all the tombstones and static props/scary villages in my michaels next to the crows and such... so you might want to look there at yours....

Thanks for the voice comments lol but that isnt mine... its actually from muppets treasure island... mine were just used to sync the servos to the tracks... if anyone knows how to post a audio file I can show you my intro for my haunt with my voice lowered.... so you might like that

and its 3 talkies and 1 3-axis for the pirates this year... but next year hehe

but yea please stop by and say hi!

·
The Halloween King
626 Posts
Those are awesome. I'm good at my halloween haunt planning, decoration and setting, but looking at the technicality that seems to go into working this, wow.

Although a lot of people seem to do it so i'm sure once you know how it's easy, but the learning how part is just not in the cards for me right now haha.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol no its really easy when you get down to it.... it seems scary when you look at it but it is probably one of the easier and more impressive props to do... but it takes true talent to get it right... hopefully in the next few years I can get some practice in and refine the movements alot! Again if anyone needs help Id be glad to share what limited knowledge of this stuff I have. Thanks again for your comments, Mike

1 - 14 of 14 Posts