Halloween Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my usual method of putting my tombstones in my front yard has been using wooden stakes; however, my front yard is just about as hard as concrete and I have broken more than my fair sharte of wooden stakes during set up.

I was watching one of BIGANTS videos a few weeks back (I think it was the dry brushing video) and he mentioned that he was going to try using short pieces of rebar and a PVC pipe glued to the back of his stones for set up and I though it sounded like a great idea.

Let me tell you that I have never had such an easy time setting up my stones!!! Driving the rebar into the ground was very easy. Then I just had to slip the pipe glued on the back over the rebar and POOF, done! AND, I can move the stones around as easy as anything if I decide to move things around. GENIOUS!

So BIG thanks to BIGANT for a great tip on setting up tombstones!!!

F

·
0 Posts
I had issues with wood stakes in the ground too, and I am weak, haha. But that seems like a good idea!

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
Yep, the rebar method is the best! I started using it two years ago and never going back! One problem I have though is every year pounding rebar is harder and harder on the elbows and wrists. My yard is one giant tangle of tree roots.

·
Registered
529 Posts
haha glad to help!!!! I even went to so far as to glue pieces of pvc onto my store bought props and used rebar to hold them in place as well! And you are right its so easy to switch them around, just pull the stone up and slip it down onto one of the other pieces of rebar if I dont like where I have them!

·
Registered
529 Posts
Yep, the rebar method is the best! I started using it two years ago and never going back! One problem I have though is every year pounding rebar is harder and harder on the elbows and wrists. My yard is one giant tangle of tree roots.
I have a 4lb sledge that I use, here in So Fla we hit coral rocks only a few inches below the dirt line so its a given that driving the rebar here is going to be a pain in the butt!

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
so would that method work in kansas where it gets ridiculously windy in the fall (and winter, and spring and summer....)? im too cheap (read poor) and lazy to double my tombstone width to do terras method (dremel a bit on the inside of each, glue together, insert pipe and slide over rebar), so i just drilled holes through the middle of my tombstones last year and accidently broke through the front on some of them because we drilled lopsided. its also hard to gauge how far in we drilled when we're sliding them over the rebar plus the wind broke one last year that tought me the wonderful lesson of do not get gorilla glue on your effing hands.... so willing to try anything that wouldnt require me to make twice the amount of tombstones that wont blow away in the 60mph wind gusts we get here occasionally. and if that does work well in wind, what do you use to glue the pipes on to the backs?

oops, i rambled a bit. hope my post makes sense. been a long week and im trying to get over a killer headache so if its mildly confusing, i dont mean for it to be.

·
Registered
529 Posts
so would that method work in kansas where it gets ridiculously windy in the fall (and winter, and spring and summer....)? im too cheap (read poor) and lazy to double my tombstone width to do terras method (dremel a bit on the inside of each, glue together, insert pipe and slide over rebar), so i just drilled holes through the middle of my tombstones last year and accidently broke through the front on some of them because we drilled lopsided. its also hard to gauge how far in we drilled when we're sliding them over the rebar plus the wind broke one last year that tought me the wonderful lesson of do not get gorilla glue on your effing hands.... so willing to try anything that wouldnt require me to make twice the amount of tombstones that wont blow away in the 60mph wind gusts we get here occasionally. and if that does work well in wind, what do you use to glue the pipes on to the backs?

oops, i rambled a bit. hope my post makes sense. been a long week and im trying to get over a killer headache so if its mildly confusing, i dont mean for it to be.

we get really bad winds here in South Florida at this time, it is still hurricane season here after all. So far it has worked really well but the wind hasnt been too crazy yet. IT was bad on Monday but every stayed put. I gorilla glued the pvc onto the back of my stones instead of putting it in the middle. We only have 1/2 foam here so putting it in the middle would be pretty hard to do even when laying it all together.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Rebar is definitely the way to go here in the Sierra foothills. As soon as it dries up in late spring the ground turns into what amounts to concrete and it doesn't soften up again until at least November. This is the only place I've ever lived where you plan on doing landscaping projects in the winter.

My graveyard is going to be in a fairly sheltered location this year but I still need some way to keep the stones upright. I got ahold of some 2" blue foam for my stones so I was able to put the PVC pipe inside the tombstones.

·
Registered
436 Posts
This may be a dumb question but where do I get Rebar for cheap and not too long? I would think that about a foot to 15 inches would work fine.

·
Resident Potterhead
1,972 Posts
we get really bad winds here in South Florida at this time, it is still hurricane season here after all. So far it has worked really well but the wind hasnt been too crazy yet. IT was bad on Monday but every stayed put. I gorilla glued the pvc onto the back of my stones instead of putting it in the middle. We only have 1/2 foam here so putting it in the middle would be pretty hard to do even when laying it all together.
ill have to give it a shot this year then because i was really not looking forward to sliding the rebar into the tombstones again and risk breaking them even more. good thing they're already imperfect and the fence keeps people from coming up and looking up close. and halloween, so it doesnt matter how things look really. now maybe i can have a use for some of that pipe we bought to re plumb the house that hasnt gotten used or even touched lol

·
Registered
142 Posts
This may be a dumb question but where do I get Rebar for cheap and not too long? I would think that about a foot to 15 inches would work fine.
Short lengths are often available free in neighborhoods with new builds going up. Lots of cut off, discarded ends when they pour foundations.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
I too have been using rebar for years. I guess it's one of those things you think everyone knows about but it looks like a lot of folks are new to the forum. I also used those green fence posts a lot too. Sometimes I slide props over them, other times, I bungee the prop to them.

I buy the long lengths of rebar at Lowes and then use a Chicago brand little chop saw I got at Harbor Freight to cut them down to size. Works like a champ. Also does a great job on PVC

Another tip....get some fluorescent orange paint and paint the exposed end of the rebar. It gets real easy to miss them when setting up and tearing down.

·
Valkyrie Of Halloween
2,435 Posts
I started doing that a few years ago and it was a godsend! Of course it doesn't look as pretty from the side, but my cemetery is in a corner so don't get a side view with our layout. :D
I used liquid nails, have only had a few that came off. That is a situation you might have when doing it over the paint as the foam gets older underneath, but a quick fix. I used the grey pvc so I didn't have to paint it. ;)

So my usual method of putting my tombstones in my front yard has been using wooden stakes; however, my front yard is just about as hard as concrete and I have broken more than my fair sharte of wooden stakes during set up.

I was watching one of BIGANTS videos a few weeks back (I think it was the dry brushing video) and he mentioned that he was going to try using short pieces of rebar and a PVC pipe glued to the back of his stones for set up and I though it sounded like a great idea.

Let me tell you that I have never had such an easy time setting up my stones!!! Driving the rebar into the ground was very easy. Then I just had to slip the pipe glued on the back over the rebar and POOF, done! AND, I can move the stones around as easy as anything if I decide to move things around. GENIOUS!

So BIG thanks to BIGANT for a great tip on setting up tombstones!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts