Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
...and nothing! I've been a lurker here for a year or so and have read quite a bit of the site (tutorials are great!) but never posted. Only because I was undertaking a bigger project, for me anyway, that I decided to post and say hi -- and thanks!

Thanks for giving great ideas and inspiration to tackle projects myself, but also thanks loaded with sarcasm...for the same reasons. It's because of this site that I continue to try new things and I think to myself as I'm hip deep in Monster Mud, "Gee, if it wasn't for this forum, I wouldn't have MM stuck to my forehead, hair, and legs."

My wife absolutely loves Halloween -- it's her favorite holiday -- which means I get to do all the work while she reaps the enjoyment. But any day my wife is happy is a good day. ;>

Three years ago we got married and bought a house. Because we had just moved in we didn't do more than put some pumpkins out and some corn stalks, but then two years ago we got some decorations and started making things a little more interesting. We had your typical Styrofoam gravestones, a store boat winged angel ghost thingie, and a few other things, but not much else. Sadly, we are the only house on our block that decorates, but that means the ToTs really want to come by.

It was around that time that I found your site and got some inspiration. So last year I built a toe-pincher from some idea I saw here; a guillotine (static); a haunted dog house (using a cheap pop-up figure ripped from a Kmart special); a whole bunch of quick tombstones; a Styrofoam cooler fog machine; some flaming skulls; and made the yard more of a set.

Still it was pretty low key considering some of the haunts I've seen here, but the ToTs loved it! I had quite a few parents tell me there kids insisted they be allowed to come to our house to ToT. Gotta admit, that's what makes it fun (FWIW, my wife's daughter goes ToT-ing with her dad on Halloween elsewhere so all of my efforts are really for everyone else).

Anyway, this year I wanted to get a little more creative and decided I would construct a Reaper from the tutorial section. Hence the reason I was knee-deep in MM. I also have plans for some groundbreakers using the methods I've seen here as well as a graveyard fence. Oh! To have started earlier like I had planned!

But I gotta hand it to you veterans here. You make it all look so damn easy! ;> Not that the Reaper is "hard" per se, but looking at those pictures and saying "Oh, I can do that!" and actually doing are two different things (btw, burlap fabric with a tight weave as opposed to burlap you wrap a Christmas tree in will be on the list for my next MM project).

I'd post a pic to show you how it's coming along (still have touch-ups, waterproofing, and painting till its finished) but I don't have a photo hosting site so I'm a little stuck there.

This is running way too long for an intro, but I wanted you to know that many of you have inspired me to make Halloween my favorite holiday too -- and for that I curse you all!

Thanks,
Rich

Typical Ghoul Next Door
Hahaha! That's a great story - glad you finally decided to join! :D

Caretaker of Eerie Manor
You're sucked in now. No turning back! Bwahahahaha!!!!!!

Devilishly Dutch
haha Pumpkin torture guiy!

Welcome to the forum Rich. You can upload your photos to your album here on the forum on your profile page and then link them in a thread.

MsM

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the warm welcome...

I feel at home already. Nice and comfy, like my own snug, little coffin.

And thanks also for the tip on uploading my pics to my profile. So I put one up of where my Reaper stands so far. Thanks again,

Rich

1 - 7 of 7 Posts