Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on this forum for a few weeks now and just realized there was a member introduction page.

I started out with haunted houses while living in Connecticut at the age of 10 years old. Back then I had a love for the old tobacco barns that were decked out into amazing haunted houses. I had an opportunity to make a haunted house in my mom's basement for her girl scout troop. My older brother and I, under no budget, proceeded to make a haunted house out of anything and everything we could find. Cardboard boxes, string, fishing rods, and christmas lights were where we started. Looking back, I'm still amazed at how we rigged up a control center of 8 fishing poles, each one running fishing line through eye hooks across the basement to a scare spot with a dropping spider, bat, or other creepy effect.

We put this on two weeks before Halloween. It started with a girl scout troop of 12 girls. They told their parents how scary it was and it expanded from a one night show to three shows. The second included parents and friends and totalled around 40 people, and the third was the two other local girl scout troops and their families.

After high school, Halloween seemed on hold while I went to college on an art scholarship. I focused on graphic design, but switched to computers when I realized that most artists don't make enough money to live on.

A few years later, in the US Army in Germany, I was able to have full reign of assisting with the design and construction of a haunted house on the military post. It really let me express my artistic side as an out and fueled wanting to do more.

Since then I've worked with haunted houses in Florida and Texas. And for the last few years I've been doing yard haunts in Texas.

In 2002, I started a design book of ideas for haunted house rooms and themes. It was kind of like the "what if" book on the ultimate dream of building my own commercial haunt. Then last year, in 2003, we had three things happen. First, word spread so much about our home haunt that we had close to 500 people come by on Halloween night. I felt like I outgrew our yard traffic was so busy on my street. Second was my dissatisfaction with the haunts in Austin, Texas. It seemed that everyone was doing the minimal work they could do in order for people to pay $10 to get in the door. There wasn't any theming, no real strategy to the scares, no new inventive atmosphere, and no apparent passion. That made me stand back and think, I can do something alot better than this. They say everything happens for a reason. The third thing that happened was that in Nov 03, I stumbled on a haunted house that was going out of business and had $17,000 worth of props that they wanted to dump for $1200. Since November, I've been putting many hours into design, modular room construction, and the million other responsibilities of opening a new business venture. I am fortunate in that I travel nationally and occasionally internationally so I've been able to find great props and decorations for my theme from everywhere from right here in Texas to South Africa and the Pacific Islands. It's amazing what you can find if you look. One example is three 1940s steel morgue gurneys I found at a flea market in Texas for $10 each. I couldn't pass that up. Complete with hydraulics and even fold up IV stands.

So, I'm about 80% finished with with the prebuildout construction, and the props. All sounds and lighting is finished. We are searching out our temporary location as I write this.

It's one of those ventures that's fueled by a passion for excellence rather than money. I'll be happy if I only make enough to cover the expenses. My goal is for everyone that walks through the haunt to come out the back door screaming, "That was really great and scared the crap out of me!"

After Halloween this year, I'm going to put a props section on my website and also show some photos of the entire buildout process.

Wish me luck...

The Dark Tomb - Psychological Terror at it's best!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good luck!!! Can't wait to see the photos!!!

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Welcome TheDarkTomb to the forum. Can't wait to see pics and ideas. Hope to hear from you often.

“If you measured your life by moments instead of minuets and hours how many moments would you waste?"
"This moment was brought to you by THE END."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts