Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to say thank you to everyone that posts tutorials, pictures of their props for others to see and emulate; those who post suggestions, feedback, encouragement, etc. Without you all, people like me wouldn't know where to begin with trying to create something fun for the kids to enjoy.

This year was my first year to decorate for Halloween. EVER. I've always done Christmas and have always had ideas of things I'd like to do for Halloween, but just never went through with them. My daughter who is a sophomore in high school has schemed with me the last 2-3 years on doing something, but like I said, we ( I ) never made it into a reality. This year, with so much help from this forum, I did start out small.

I created some tombstones, a couple of static plague doctors, witches lanterns, and cemetery fence. I started the projects in the fall of 2013 but analysis paralysis and the fear of my stuff looking cheap kept me from finishing. My wife had doubts I would this year so I was determined to prove her wrong. (Oh, that's her behind her tombstone - she's a pharmacist and stands all day, hence the epitaph) ;)

I was disappointed in the lack of houses that were doing anything - our housing addition typically used to have a LOT of kids that would go through the neighborhoods - this included our kids. We never handed out candy because we were doing TOT with them. So, I think that maybe the people aren't doing anything because most of the little kids in this housing addition are now like ours - in high school and junior high. We still had probably between 50 - 75 kids and it was REALLY fun seeing the looks on their faces when the came up to the yard and the house. You can't see it in pictures, but I had a bunch of foam pumpkins lining my sidewalk, up to the door. I've carved these over the years for my kids - Harry Potter, Scooby Doo, etc. I think the little kids really loved them. Many kids would say how this was "the best house!". Many parents were awed at the decorations too. So, it was a lot more fun than just having the porch light on and handing out candy. People were taking pictures of the yard and evening taking pictures of their kids standing in front of the plague doctors.

This is a long winded post and I apologize.... my whole point is that you all are so greatly appreciated for your selflessness and effort to make Halloween something that little kids will remember. And, that's what it's all about, isn't it?? :D

Attachments

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The plague doctors are pvc frame and the cauldron was an inexpensive flower thing I got from home depot. Made the coals using the burning coal tutorial on this sight and the green bubbling from same tutorial. Didn't have time to make a "real" round cauldron; so maybe for next year. The flower pot thing looks like half of a whiskey barrel cut in half. As a matter of fact, someone in a tutorial used two of them to make just that - a whiskey barrel for a pirate scene ;) Thank you Ween and ITG for the compliments - analysis paralysis almost didn't let me finish anything. But, as many kept reminding me...its dark out and that's a friend. Plus, cemetery's aren't supposed to be pristine and perfect ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Your haunt looks great, love your "Mom" tombstone. It was my first year on HF and found the people on here to be amazingly talented and helped make
this year's Halloween very memorable. Now I can't imagine a Halloween without them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts