Halloween Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd start a separate thread for tests of the Ghostly Apparitions projection effects DVD using my Mitsubishi XD500U projector. The only two "usable" projections for me--since I aim for mild and spooky vs. startle / scary--are the "Head of the House" (may complement Rona the Ghost Maid nicely). And potentially the Beckoning Bride--although I wish I could edit-out the "evil" / "startle" portion at the end of the loop. Otherwise, these two are nice projections for those, like myself, with a fondness for Disney's Haunted Mansion--all its illusions, projection effects, and atmosphere. Done in a way that is spooky but not terrifying or very startling. Gives more a sense of awe and wonder, e.g. like the Ballroom Scene, etc.

Six new videos total from this morning, only a few have completed uploading to You Tube. More to follow. I'll let the YT descriptions speak for themselves. Although I'll say that, with these test runs, Ghostly Apparitions DVD has a nice choice of Horizontal (for those with nice wide picture windows, or adjacent windows) and Vertical (for those like me stuck with narrow, non-adjacent windows). I positioned the projector vertically for these, and had to reverse the image via the projector's controls so that the lamp would be properly ventilated:

Stills:
SAM_1052.jpg

SAM_1048.jpg

Videos:

And here's a link to a thread with test videos of Dminor's Rona the Ghost Maid projection effect:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/137763-test-polaroid-mitsubishi-xd500u-using-dminors-rona-ghost-maid-projection-effect.html

·
Registered
683 Posts
This is why you need a high lumen projector: The ability to show your animations earlier in the evening and be quite visible to more ToT's rather than later and there are less people to see it. Also, since you're combining other light sources in the room the requirement for high lumens becomes more necessary as you're now having different lights competing for visibility through the window.

Very nice projection but make sure since you've to set it vertically to allow adequate ventilation at the bottom. Perhaps a small fan to push the heat from the projector if its the exhaust section your laying on.

Victor

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is why you need a high lumen projector: The ability to show your animations earlier in the evening and be quite visible to more ToT's rather than later and there are less people to see it. Also, since you're combining other light sources in the room the requirement for high lumens becomes more necessary as you're now having different lights competing for visibility through the window.

Very nice projection but make sure since you've to set it vertically to allow adequate ventilation at the bottom. Perhaps a small fan to push the heat from the projector if its the exhaust section your laying on.

Victor
Thanks Victor.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Mikeerdas,

Thanks for posting your trial run videos! I've picked up a few of the XD500Us to do some window projection this year. I was worried about projector brightness in the early Halloween hours, but your videos helped put my mind at ease.

Did they work well on Halloween? I am a bit leery of turning the projectors sideways, so thinking of making a sideways mount that holds it without restricting too much airflow. How did yours fair if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again!

Jason

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You're very welcome. I'm glad the videos helped--that was my intent. The projector worked fine sideways. Heat never seemed to be an issue--long term, who knows. I do agree though that you must keep any air in-take / out-takes as clear as possible. A mount sounds great if you take heat dissipation into account.

The ghosts were a huge hit on Halloween night. Both parents and kids alike loved them. Months after, people still remembered and commented on the ghosts. So this year, I may try to add more--possibly haunting the lower windows. Upstairs, I'd love to finally accomplish a "whole house" Left > Right, Right > Left Haunted Mansion Traveling Light effect. We'll see about that.

Mikeerdas,

Thanks for posting your trial run videos! I've picked up a few of the XD500Us to do some window projection this year. I was worried about projector brightness in the early Halloween hours, but your videos helped put my mind at ease.

Did they work well on Halloween? I am a bit leery of turning the projectors sideways, so thinking of making a sideways mount that holds it without restricting too much airflow. How did yours fair if you don't mind me asking? Thanks again!

Jason

·
Registered
476 Posts
"I wish I could edit-out the "evil" / "startle" portion at the end of the loop. Otherwise, these two are nice projections for those, like myself, with a fondness for Disney's Haunted Mansion--all its illusions, projection effects, and atmosphere. Done in a way that is spooky but not terrifying or very startling. Gives more a sense of awe and wonder, e.g. like the Ballroom Scene, etc."

Here's how to do that:

http://www.halloweenforum.com/halloween-props/131801-how-use-makemkv-your-halloween-dvds.html

I did mine with Windows Live Movie Maker and I would add that you should download and use a video converter (I used Freemake) to convert the MKV files to WMV format, otherwise you can't use it with the Windows software.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,774 Posts
Ghostly Apparitions is available for download as a large Torrent file through PirateBay, and comes broken down into a number of segments which in theory can be combined / reassembled in Microsoft Movie Maker to get the exact combination of scenes you want.

Check the legality of doing so in your area before proceeding.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts