Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I first off want to state that I take no credit for the outcome of the following project. I stumbled across Terra's vid on tombstone painting. Here is my attempt at duplicating her design. The tombstone is about 6 1/2 feet tall and 4 feet wide. It is hard to get the feel of how big it is from the pic.

A few thoughts:
As Terra points out grey dry-loc is a home run for realistic tomstones. The only thing I will do from here on out is give the tombstone a base coat of a cheap gray latex paint first. It takes a minimum of two if not three coats of the dry-loc to cover the colored foam ( a little expensive vs paint). A base gray coat would go a long way. Secondly I would choose a different font. Its a little busy. Well anyway, thanks Terra for the inspiration!!

View attachment 6467

·
Caretaker of Eerie Manor
6,608 Posts
Excellent! I'd say you nailed it!

·
Registered
273 Posts
So wait..how do you get the chiseld look again? Like the very right side how do you get that effect or even the cut out at the very very bottom left corner near the ground?

Do you use a wood burning tool or something? Not only that but just the cutout alone..how did you get the crazy bottom portion looking like that?

·
Hauntless
8,374 Posts
Wow! That rocks and it's 6 feet tall!? That's impressive. I like the font by the way. So, now that you've made one, you have to make more, it's like a new addiction. :)

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Chugger93,

I use laquer thinner for the distressing. Soak a rag and dab it on the foam. It will disolve the foam in a controlled fashion (obviously well ventilated, flameless enviroment, etc.). I used it on a piece of scrap first to get the feel. As far as the bottom, nothing more than foam ripped at about 30 degrees then mitered corners.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts