Votes: 23 20.4%
  • No

Votes: 90 79.6%

• Total voters
141 - 160 of 171 Posts

·
Crawling in my skin
2,236 Posts
Been busy painting mini coat wired hanger trees I made for my fireplace mantle and painted them black and got to thinking about your stones Terra. I could post a pic of the trees and asked everyone what they thought and would get numerous answers as to what color I should paint them. My point is they are your stones and your vision. An artist does what is in his or her mind and creates something from there. The art world would be rather boring if everyone painted what the majority wanted and not what was an original thought. I think you took graveyard to a whole new level and not the norm so it was quite shocking and I am sure once you set them up with the proper scene you are going to give them......I will wait patiently to see your vision........your work of art in play.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
My point is they are your stones and your vision. An artist does what is in his or her mind and creates something from there. The art world would be rather boring if everyone painted what the majority wanted and not what was an original thought..
Blackfog has captured my opinion entirely!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Damn, Terra, I am sorry for all the heat you've gotten over this! People can be flat out rude!
I think part of the reason people's feathers are rustled is how much they loved your original stones. I think if you'd made new stones, specifically for this purpose, the uproar would be much less. But I think they are perfect for your theme. As I said earlier, I wouldn't be so brave myself, but you did do an exceptional job!

·
Mad Monster Maker
2,673 Posts
Terra, I'm don't know what other props you have in your haunt for this year, and I know it's late in the season, but I have a suggestion. My idea is have a corpsified body, wearing a gas mask and a biosuit ( or military uniform) , sitting up against one of your tombstones. To add an extra element of realism, add a looping sound effect of flies buzzing around it. If you could pull this off, I think it could add a lot to your haunt. After all, nothing says "apocalypse" like rotting corpses in biosuits :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
To all who were offended by my comments, please accept my sincere apology:) I had no intentions of insulting anyone and I let "society's" point of view of graffiti taint my better judgement. As a graffiti artist living all my life in NewYork city, I have dealt with a tremendous amount of
stereotypes as you can imagine! I personally would NEVER use graffiti as vandalism and I am very disappointed with those people who don't distinguish the difference between graffiti as an art form to that of gang related violence and "territorial spraying"!! As a huge fan of Halloween, I was very surprised and hurt that people on the forum seemed to be closed minded about graffiti. I know of many who were criticized an banned for their decorations including myself for being "too scary!!" I felt it was necessary to stand up for myself as an artist and unfortunately I was misunderstood. I appreciate you as an artist terra,and I mistook your understanding of "you-tube graffiti" as an amateur attempt at an art form that has consumed my entire life! Hence, I wouldn't pretend I was a chef if all I did was watch you- tube videos to become one. I take graffiti very seriously perhaps too much for my own good;)
Once again, please accept my apology:) I know there are people who " lurk" on the forum like myself and haven't found the courage to speak up for themselves, UNLESS it was something they took a great interest in. I encourage more people to take pride and respect in their work. " live out your imagination, not your history" Stephen covey.

·
Registered
19 Posts
R. I. P. Dr. Stephen R. Covey!! "Voice is unique personal significance- significance that is revealed as we face out greatest challenge and that makes us equal to them. "

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have been debating for weeks to Graffiti my Jim Morrison Headstone since the real one was Graffitied on. I think I will now that Iv'e seen yours. Thanks for helping me make that decision. IMG_5779.jpg

·
Registered
648 Posts
Terra
You created quite a stir with this. I think you are a very talented and creative artist and this is soooo original. You do whatever you want. Besides, it fits in with your theme.
Like I said before, when we are kids, we would dare each other to go into this old forgotten graveyard out in the middle of the woods. Some kids would paint graffiti on the stones. So there is an element of scare.
So next year, if you change your mind, repaint them. What the heck!
I am sure that some of the Halloween companies watch these forums and I can bet that next year, you just might see stones with graffiti pot up in the stores!

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Whoa! Hold up there. 1st: Terra never said she's a graffitti artist. 2nd: You don't know what research she did or did not do. You're making an assumption based on your preconceived notions and your admitted bias toward a specific kind of graffitti. Not all graffitti is art just like not all graffitti is vandalism and not all 'art' is good. 3rd: Your idea of what is or is not a graffitti artist is clouding your idea of what it means to respect another artist--because you don't like this work you decided that it is disrespectful without asking for more information. Moreover, you are expressing exactly the behavior you are accusing Terra of --disrespecting the work of another artist. 4th: You sound like a complete snob. Because this doesn't meet your expectations of graffitti art like you would see in New York, you denigrate it and the artist. That's uncalled for. Madam Leota managed to make her feelings and disapproval perfectly clear without getting nasty or making personal remarks; you should be able to do so as well.

You don't have to like that Terra tagged her tombstones. A lot of us don't. You don't have to like her artistic style and you don't have to praise her technique if you think it is somehow lacking. You *do* need to show some common courtesy and basic respect to others on the forum. If you have specific constructive criticisms to offer, please do so, but don't be snide just because somebody in New York does it the way you like it. Many others on this thread and I differ in our opinions, but different preferences or different understandings of the art don't make me "right" and them "wrong"; your opinion doesn't make you right either.
Thanks for that :)

Dave--maybe not after *the* apocalypse, but certainly after *Terra's* apocalypse.;)

Terra--Here are a couple of thoughts about debris and trash: I like your previous idea of using an old haunt poster as some of the debris for the graveyard. Perhaps you can make it look like the wind blew it into the fence and it got caught there. You might think about stuff that you can ziptie or stake in place so it doesn't litter the neighborhood. Or glue crumpled/stained sheets of newspaper to a plain tombstone. To "fix" the tags on the Terra and Reign stones, think about over tagging them--add simple, scrawling and maybe even clumsy initials that partially cover the original tag. Besides artistic intent and talent, part of what divides 'art' graffitti from territorial marking is that it gets covered and recovered as territory changes. This could add to the realism and reduce the exceptionally celan look of the tags.
Oooh, all good ideas! I've got some extra spray cans around here. When I put the stones out we'll see how it looks first. I've got to do that poster idea but make it more of a metal sign. That would survive decades but not sure newspaper would though. I could leave a few spray paints cans scattered.... seriously.

looks great. Dont see blood tho.. or am i missin the Mark? lol
Here's a close-up - I didn't go gonzo with the blood but it's trickling out where he had tried to break out:

Well, Terra, if it makes you feel any better, none of the great artists were appreciated in their own lifetime... ;)
heheh... perhaps if I cut off my ear.

I think kevin232 said it best... it makes you think you're in the wrong part of town... thus adding to the scare factor. Terra, your art work is outstanding, and while I'm sure you agonized over the decision, I applaud you for it. In a strange sort of way, it might also be a blessing... if a REAL graffiti artist came by, they'd leave your stuff alone (something like honor among thieves, taggers don't deface each others work). A bold move, but then great discoveries were never made without some risk. Well done!
Hey, let's hope! and thanks :)

following along in this discussion I have gone back several times to look at the pics. I think the only thing I have noticed as seemingly off is the age of the graffiti. For example Beloved is weathered and there is water staining on the stone (need to know how you did that BTW) but the graffiti seems fresh and untouched by the same elements.

fading out some of the tags or weathering them some would help the over all feel that your end of the world as we know it was not so recent. I'd keep some bright so it seems the territory is still being claimed by new factions as the years have passed.

Oh and I do agree with talkingcatblues that the yea's and nay's in your poll are skewed I think there are more than a few of us who didn't answer as we went the direction of simply they look different. not better or worse.
I've been told by several people in other arenas that some thing. They look different - not bad - different. I'll take that. In regards to the aging of the graffiti... I agree with you totally. Here's a picture of it right after and was horrified at how bright and clean they looked:

So, went to town tea-staining, polluting them. They are still too bright but look better:

Also, I have a veeery bright fluorescent light just above them which isn't helping them. But, when I walk into the Lair and it's dimly lit - they look a lot better. Hoping they also look better out in the graveyard itself.

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Been busy painting mini coat wired hanger trees I made for my fireplace mantle and painted them black and got to thinking about your stones Terra. I could post a pic of the trees and asked everyone what they thought and would get numerous answers as to what color I should paint them. My point is they are your stones and your vision. An artist does what is in his or her mind and creates something from there. The art world would be rather boring if everyone painted what the majority wanted and not what was an original thought. I think you took graveyard to a whole new level and not the norm so it was quite shocking and I am sure once you set them up with the proper scene you are going to give them......I will wait patiently to see your vision........your work of art in play.
Aww, that's great to say. I was asking because I thought they looked super cool graffiti'd and was wondering if other people thought the same. Well, not so much. But, honestly - I still think they look pretty cool.

Damn, Terra, I am sorry for all the heat you've gotten over this! People can be flat out rude!
I think part of the reason people's feathers are rustled is how much they loved your original stones. I think if you'd made new stones, specifically for this purpose, the uproar would be much less. But I think they are perfect for your theme. As I said earlier, I wouldn't be so brave myself, but you did do an exceptional job!
Yeah, perhaps Beloved was the step too far for many.

Terra, I'm don't know what other props you have in your haunt for this year, and I know it's late in the season, but I have a suggestion. My idea is have a corpsified body, wearing a gas mask and a biosuit ( or military uniform) , sitting up against one of your tombstones. To add an extra element of realism, add a looping sound effect of flies buzzing around it. If you could pull this off, I think it could add a lot to your haunt. After all, nothing says "apocalypse" like rotting corpses in biosuits :rolleyes:
Oh, that's cool and would look awesome for a fresher post-apocalyptic world. Mine is decades past the apocalypse and spiritual evil beings roam the land now. I did, however, just finish that new project to scatter among the tombstones. Calling them Lava Spikes:

In darkness:

I painted them with fluorescent paint to make it look like the lava is still very hot and magma is cracking the surface. Hope that helps convey this is a whole 'nuther world.

To all who were offended by my comments, please accept my sincere apology:) I had no intentions of insulting anyone and I let "society's" point of view of graffiti taint my better judgement. As a graffiti artist living all my life in NewYork city, I have dealt with a tremendous amount of
stereotypes as you can imagine! I personally would NEVER use graffiti as vandalism and I am very disappointed with those people who don't distinguish the difference between graffiti as an art form to that of gang related violence and "territorial spraying"!! As a huge fan of Halloween, I was very surprised and hurt that people on the forum seemed to be closed minded about graffiti. I know of many who were criticized an banned for their decorations including myself for being "too scary!!" I felt it was necessary to stand up for myself as an artist and unfortunately I was misunderstood. I appreciate you as an artist terra,and I mistook your understanding of "you-tube graffiti" as an amateur attempt at an art form that has consumed my entire life! Hence, I wouldn't pretend I was a chef if all I did was watch you- tube videos to become one. I take graffiti very seriously perhaps too much for my own good;)
Once again, please accept my apology:) I know there are people who " lurk" on the forum like myself and haven't found the courage to speak up for themselves, UNLESS it was something they took a great interest in. I encourage more people to take pride and respect in their work. " live out your imagination, not your history" Stephen covey.
I accept your apology. You came on quite rough and that set the stage, I think. We are a unique forum in that we are VERY supportive of one another - do not insult others and circle the wagons when it happens. As a moderator here my job is to keep the drama out. So, it was a little funny to me that you came at me with a lot a drama. Took some nerve so I instead assumed you were just passionate about your art. I would still love to see some examples of yours. I've begun to appreciate the art form a lot.

R. I. P. Dr. Stephen R. Covey!! "Voice is unique personal significance- significance that is revealed as we face out greatest challenge and that makes us equal to them. "
Oh, heck I lived his 7 habits - still do mostly. Sharpen the Saw...

I have been debating for weeks to Graffiti my Jim Morrison Headstone since the real one was Graffitied on. I think I will now that Iv'e seen yours. Thanks for helping me make that decision.
That's wicked! Some of the first Google images I saw of graffiti'd tombstones was his. I thought it looked fantastic. Like his fans truly love and miss him - they kind of want to bring back him to life (in a sense) with the color.

i love it !!! i like when something new comes to the plate !! you know me !! great job !!!
Thanks Deoblo - I thought you'd love it - the hard rocker you are :)

Terra
You created quite a stir with this. I think you are a very talented and creative artist and this is soooo original. You do whatever you want. Besides, it fits in with your theme.
Like I said before, when we are kids, we would dare each other to go into this old forgotten graveyard out in the middle of the woods. Some kids would paint graffiti on the stones. So there is an element of scare.
So next year, if you change your mind, repaint them. What the heck!
I am sure that some of the Halloween companies watch these forums and I can bet that next year, you just might see stones with graffiti pot up in the stores!
That or stay the hell away from the idea, lol

·
Hauntless
8,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #155
Terra, its not my favorite, but you still make it look amazing. Keep the press on! I cannot wait to see your vision fully assembled.
Thanks - I can't also wait myself to see how it'll all look together. It's going up this Wednesday (Oct. 10th).

Ok, how did you carve the spikes?
That's 2" pink foam glued together and then carved away using the 6" Industrial Hot Knife. To make the magma cuts - I cut that away with an eXacto knife and chipped out with a pottery tool.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Oh, that's cool and would look awesome for a fresher post-apocalyptic world. Mine is decades past the apocalypse and spiritual evil beings roam the land now. I did, however, just finish that new project to scatter among the tombstones. Calling them Lava Spikes:

In darkness:

I painted them with fluorescent paint to make it look like the lava is still very hot and magma is cracking the surface. Hope that helps convey this is a whole 'nuther world.
they are AWSOME

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wow. I looked at the first page and saw the stones, and now Im seeing yet more crazy original stuff, damn I have to go to bed. Amazing as always. I wouldnt have messed with Beloved, but thats your choice, its YOUR haunt and we are just along for the ride. I cant wait to digest this thread later. Crazy stuff.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Terra!

How Dare You!!!

Off with her head! ...(oh, and then I'd like to borrow it for my haunt!)

Ok, seriously. I first thought it was a case of vandalism, but then I read a little more and caught on.

I love it.

It was really entertaining to hear the emotions from those so heavily invested, particularly when Beloved was concerned. All the more reason to know it was a good choice.

I was pretty sure that it could all be "fixed", but it was a little reassuring to hear it being said by the creator herself.

141 - 160 of 171 Posts