Halloween Forum banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Terra, just learning this news now. I am happy for you. I cannot think of a more selfless, creative, nice person on this forum than you. We are lucky to have you. Please THANK your husband for sharing you with us! I know the time it takes to be passionate about prop building. Throw in the fact that you record and edit your videos for everyone and I am not sure when you find time to sleep! Save travels. God's speed. - The Halloween Snob!

·
Scaring kids everywhere!
3,702 Posts
Whoa gf I don't know how I missed this either?!?!?!?! Major congrats on the hubbies retirement ant your move south. I too hailed from the Midwest and now live in the south and lovin every minute of it! I had to chuckle reading about your first scorpion encounter. That totally flipped me out too. Luckily I don't see them all that often. I cant wait to hear how everything shapes up Halloween wise. We live in a gated community so don't get a ton of TOTs and the last of my three kids just left for college but we have adapted as I am sure you quickly will as well. And like Cathy said you gotta keep all those marvelous tutorials coming we all have learned so much and I for one hope to continue to do so!!!

·
Registered
759 Posts
When I first moved here I was blown away with how different the flowers and bugs are here! There are plants that sting you and poke you and bugs that do the same. It's also hard to adjust to the lack of seasons. I'm from Arkansas originally which is only a couple of states away but it's a world of difference.

·
Psychic or Psychotic?
714 Posts
I've definitely been away from the forum for to long. The forum had seemed quite empty without your 2013 Haunt posting and then I finally found this thread.

I'll have to tell Mrs. Skellington to cancel the plans for our trip to Kansas some year. Although she keeps telling me she wouldn't mind moving to Texas.

Best of luck to you and the Hubby on your new adventure!

·
Registered
11 Posts
How exciting for you and your husband Terra. Very happy for you both. So glad you will still be involved with HalloweenForum. Love your tutorials and your encouragement. Great solution for your props!! The best of luck to you and Thanks for what you do foe us all.

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Thank you all for these sweet well wishes. It's still going great here but I tell you, now I know what they mean when they say 'Planet of Texas'. This place is verrrry different from Kansas (insert "you're not in Kansas anymore" joke here).

So yeah - the scorpions... Was talking with our new neighbor about the onslaught of scorpions at the house and he told us - they are 'nuthin'. It's the giant centipede that you have to worry about where we live. So, looked it up and guess what??? They have a stinger on their tail AND the bottom of their feet is poisonous. Yeaaaah, okay. :)

A video I found at YouTube that shows a typical giant centipede where we live. They are lightning fast - must have something to do with the hundred legs:

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Hey Terra, was wondering how you are doing. OMG they said things are bigger in Texas and they were right. That centipede is scary! I think a prop covered in centipedes would be fitting for your area although you might get some real ones crawling on it too! Yikes!

Since being in Calif I've seen snakes and tartantulas on hiking trails but nothing like them around our house. A few weeks ago my husband was cleaning out our new BBQ island's refrig area (haven't put one in yet) and came across two black widow spiders in there. That was a first for me. Kind of gives me a new perspective on black widow props being scary though having seen real ones in areas we live in and sit down around and probably don't know they are there. They don't move as fast as those creepy Texas insects though!

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Good luck on your move to Texas.

I have family that live around the Austin area ( Georgetown, Round Rock & Lake travis).

I visit there usually once a year.

But no scorpions or tarantulas ( dread the thought).

This area is close up to the Hill Country.

Good luck!

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Thanks you two. Yep, I have to say - I've been more scared by my own backyard (and house) than any haunt has ever conjured :)

Well, got an awesome update from Eric and what he and the GirlScouts did with the props. It's amazing and I couldn't be more pleased. They and the BoyScouts coordinated a huge forest haunt in Indiana and the pictures are a treat!!! Here's the thread so please check it out when you get the chance. Thank you ERIC! : http://www.halloweenforum.com/general-halloween/132236-return-beloved.html#post1559692

In case anyone wonders what it's like to give up cold turkey on haunting their house...

Weird.

One moment you are thrilled that you don't have the trauma of dragging all the props out, setting up, fretting over the weather, repairing what supposed to work.... all that stuff. The next moment you are having dinner at a restaurant wearing no costume on Halloween wistfully looking at the wait staff wearing all of their costumes... and sighing.

But then you remember that you don't have to clean up this the next morning:

And you get over it... mostly.

I did get a lot of other Halloween scares in this season though. Went and checked out some possible charity haunts that I could help with next year. One is a fun police charity haunt called Nightmare on Jail Hill:

Very creative and it's a lot of fun. Here's a mounted police officer as the headless horseman. Love the red LED eyes on the horse:

Then on Halloween checked out a local Volunteer Fire Department that puts out a very child-friendly Halloween/carnival party that is also looking for volunteers. It's super small so that would be a huge project but something that I could really sink my teeth into.

Finally, last night had to do another love of mine and that is go to pro haunts and we checked out House of Torment in Austin. Lot's of fun too and they even needed a hand keeping the zombie hordes at bay:

·
Registered
356 Posts
Only just seen this! Congratulations on your move!

I've always loved your videos and 'thinking out of the box' ideas and props. I also envied your workshop!!

I'm sure you'll end up getting stuck in again to haunting and with 6 acres, you can really go nuts! I think your hubby should build you a warehouse covering, ooh, let's see - 5 acres?

And what a lovely and generous gesture to gift so many of your props away - it's nice to see they went to a good home.

Best of luck to you and your husband and keep the fantastic ideas coming!

·
Registered
13,781 Posts
Being a Forum member for a number of years here it's hard to think of Halloween and not think of Frankenstein, The Mummy, Dracula, Freddy, Jason, Jack Skellington, and well....You! (For different reasons LOL) but glad to hear that you've been enjoying the season and hitting the local attractions and haunts. Your creative project threads were missed this year by me. I did have someone send me a link to a glue comparison video and lo' and behold there you were! So not like you completely disappeared. Haha.

Will definitely check out the thread on the Girl Scouts attraction. BTW I saw news coverage of some Austin residents trapped in flooding waters. Hope you guys stayed high and dry in your new place.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Best wishes for you and your husband in your new home , and your props will continue to excite for many years to come thanks to your generosity , all the best .

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Terra-
I am totally new to this site and live just north of you a bit in Fort Worth. Anyway, in the last couple of years, I have gotten into Halloween a lot, and am now mostly done with a 6.5 foot Celtic cross tombstone. Anyway, in looking on the web, I like your tombstones better than any others I see (particularly the raven one), and wonder whether I can email you a few quick questions. I was unable to find an email address. I would happily supply you with mine, but understand if you don't want to give your email address out.

Thank you!

Gary

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Awesome! Awesome! I, myself, have been quiet for a good while also...but for total different reasons. Don't worry, not gonna hi-jack your thread :) . I'm extremely excited for you and your husband! Kansas will miss you both, I'm a Kansas-native also (Lawrence, aka KU). Show them Texans something they ain't never seen befer :p

·
Hauntless
8,344 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Hey Terra-
I am totally new to this site and live just north of you a bit in Fort Worth. Anyway, in the last couple of years, I have gotten into Halloween a lot, and am now mostly done with a 6.5 foot Celtic cross tombstone. Anyway, in looking on the web, I like your tombstones better than any others I see (particularly the raven one), and wonder whether I can email you a few quick questions. I was unable to find an email address. I would happily supply you with mine, but understand if you don't want to give your email address out.

Thank you!

Gary
You can message me here - here all the time and will be glad to help you where I can. I'm also on FaceBook: https://www.facebook.com/terra.lair I loved Raven - that was a fun one to build :)

Awesome! Awesome! I, myself, have been quiet for a good while also...but for total different reasons. Don't worry, not gonna hi-jack your thread :) . I'm extremely excited for you and your husband! Kansas will miss you both, I'm a Kansas-native also (Lawrence, aka KU). Show them Texans something they ain't never seen befer :p
Hope your changes are for the better as was mine. Been having a blast getting Texanized - these people have big personalities and huge hearts. Just got back from the local Make & Take in Round Rock (Goth Gloom's house) and had such a wonderful time.

101 - 120 of 120 Posts