Halloween Forum banner

101 - 115 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mike, the graveyard skull is very cool...wondering if it might be too scary for the tots...:eek:
LOL! Could very well be, Davy. That was the goal on this one. As is probably obvious by now, I try to respond to the public's requests as to what they want to see. After the Halloween Song, I got several requests for something less light-hearted and more really scary. Thus, the Graveyard Routine.

Hopefully we're covering a wide range so that there's a routine for everyone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Thematic, if I could add my ideas about your question...

I didn't see as many vendors selling visuals as there have been before, and what I did see was a lot of variations on the same effect. They were all without a doubt very good looking and impressive effects, but talking busts were what nearly all the visual effects vendors had this year. There were some interesting 3d effects and some other "booth attraction effects", but a lot of projected image talking busts. To be honest, as great as the effect was executed, there is only so much that can be done to make them different from each other.
I have noticed that each year there will be a large number of vendors with similar products. One year it will be wolves/werewolves, the next fog chillers.

As far as talk on the street, or forums rather... I totally agree with Terra as to why those great busts just don't get much attention. I too feel that while a great prop, the busts just don't fit in with many Home Haunter themes. I also feel that most of us here this time of year are the prop builders, more so than the prop buyers, and we are simply more interested in things like animatronics than a more static talking bust. No matter how fantastic they looked! I'm not kidding about how amazing those busts are, there were a few that made me stop in my tracks to watch! Very impressive, just not what I'm interested in.

While Terra was there as a first-timer, The Dogman's first show as well, I've been going for many years. The show was good, but it has been better in the past. In my opinion, much better. I understand what the show has gone through over the last few years, and I believe it is getting back on its feet. Even at it's worst, the TransWorld Haunt show is something big and a great experience, just not as much so as it has been. I was a little underwhelmed, yet still very glad I that went.

Hi Lurks in the Shadows,
I somehow missed your response. Sorry for the delay. Thanks for the great feedback too. And thanks again for the good words. I hate to admit it, but your arguments are true.

I had some concerns about the subtle nature of my bust and my other projection based effects when I started developing them a couple of years ago, because I felt the same way about my haunts. But I also really wanted to have effects like these to recite house rules or engage my guests in other ways to not only ease the build-up of tension, but to also drop their guard and then scare the $%!# out of them. But back then video projectors were thousands of dollars and really bulky, so I used more conventional means.

I had hoped that others felt the same way but I also decided that I needed to develop hardware to enable customers to create their own routines where they could base the effect on their own characters and themes, allowing all kinds of possibilities. This hardware is almost ready and will be nominal in cost. I am also developing software with these same things in mind, allowing customizable characters as well as live interface for these and other upcoming applications that I'm really excited about.

I am also working on some wildly unique animatronics based effects that have enormous potential. They are still in the design stages, but my plan is to have them available next year. If you interested, I can give you guys the heads up before I debut the items publicly.

Best

·
Hauntless
8,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Great feedback, Terra. I dropped everything and put together an optional shorter version of the Graveyard Routine. I'll be including both versions on the DVD, so thanks for the feedback. We aim to please. ; )

Mike

First of all, I almost choked on my wine when I read that you did that for me. I'm honored. So, this morning, I couldn't wait to check it out.

It was awesome! Now, this version could definitely be in my haunt walk through. It's the perfect length for the kids to stop, listen and then you quickly bring up the drama and then the scare. I really, really like this! This is making me think a lot more about Ghost Busts than I have in the past.

By the way, love the insect crawling on the bottom of his bust. I could add a strobe light at the end of the show with bug shadows.....

AND/OR: Could add ankle tickler air whips. That should make them run even faster out of that room. LOL! :p

·
Registered
24 Posts
Night Frights' Control Freak

First of all, I almost choked on my wine when I read that you did that for me. I'm honored.

Hey, good ideas are worth following up on pronto!

It was awesome! Now, this version could definitely be in my haunt walk through. It's the perfect length for the kids to stop, listen and then you quickly bring up the drama and then the scare. I really, really like this! This is making me think a lot more about Ghost Busts than I have in the past.
Now _I'm_ the one feeling flattered. ; )

By the way, love the insect crawling on the bottom of his bust. I could add a strobe light at the end of the show with bug shadows.....
AND/OR: Could add ankle tickler air whips. That should make them run even faster out of that room. LOL! :p
Great minds think alike... the bug is actually a functional as well as an aesthetic element... At Transworld, we debuted our new Control Freak video control box that allows you to control the playback of video or audio in response to a motion detector, switch mat, or hand-held switch.

But the fun doesn't end there, the Control Freak also allows the addition of another new NightFrights.net product... the Ghost Bust Blaster! We also unveiled this for the first time at Transworld, and it was a big hit...

Synched to the big scare in each Ghost Bust Routine is a video signal that tells the Control Freak to release a big blast of air and water, giving the "victim" quite the shock, not just visually and aurally, but incorporating tactile senses as well.

The video signal is disguised as a bug/spider in the videos, so when the spider crawls across the sensor embedded in the Ghost Bust's pedestal...WHAM!

So, yep, Terra, we're on the same page. ; )

Mike

·
Registered
17 Posts
Huge Website Update

Nice, Thematic...I worried after my post that you may have thought I was being mean about your products, but I really did like them...I'm excited to hear the direction you are heading, more home haunt geared and more affordable props...While I do love my ghost bust, it is quite a bear to align properly...But, I have the original version of the video,and I think the new one has an alignment feature...

Anyways, would you be offering the standing bust without the mahogany stand and projector? or is the stand necessary for proper operation? I already have a stand and projector...
I do really like the fact that the bust is self-contained...
Do you have a website with the products you had at Transworld?
Hey again,
Just wanted to let you know that I finally did a major update of my website (imagineerie.com) including more comprehensive product information, photos and some videos.

You can access it at the link below:

Theme Park & Halloween Haunt Special Effects

I will be including more videos as soon as I can edit them and post them on Youtube as well as my website. The website updates will be an ongoing effort with more upcoming features and updates including flash, point of purchase, and I am considering adding a retail store, an industry news page and a blog. Feel free to contact me with any thoughts.

Thanks again everyone
Bryan
Thematic Effects

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hey Bryan, the website is looking real good. The flashing bust is a great idea. I bet that would scare the kids but good! Does it use the same philosophy as your portraits? Terrific effect.
Hi Terra,
Thanks. Yes, it is basically the same effect. Only the strobe is not as powerful as the one in the protrait (much less interrnal "real estate" to cover). But it is also cheaper.

The 75 watt strobe that is in the bust is almost too bright, so I am working on making a new one available at 35 watts that will be lower priced by another $40.00 or $50.00. It wall also be sound activated but may not be compatible with a master conter for synching it up with others.

101 - 115 of 115 Posts