Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been working on a paper mache tentacle ground breaker... Still needs to be urethaned so the finished product will have a satin finish. At it's highest point it's about 16" off the ground. There is a 8" length of 1.5" PVC in the middle for a staking rod. I'm planning on doing a bunch of them in various colors and formations.. I would really like some of your opinions on it. Any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Love it. I don't have any suggestions on the tentacle itself since you did such a great job. I think that it would be neat if you also did the top half of an octopus/squid/space monster head breaking the surface of the yard with the eyes showing just above the ground. I found some yellow plastic balls in Dollar Tree that were about seven inches across in diameter last year that I was planning on using as eyes in the bushes. Maybe you could use something like that as eyes. I am thinking that the head could easily cover up a ground stake light so you could make the eyes glow if you used something translucent.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love it. I don't have any suggestions on the tentacle itself since you did such a great job. I think that it would be neat if you also did the top half of an octopus/squid/space monster head breaking the surface of the yard with the eyes showing just above the ground. I found some yellow plastic balls in Dollar Tree that were about seven inches across in diameter last year that I was planning on using as eyes in the bushes. Maybe you could use something like that as eyes. I am thinking that the head could easily cover up a ground stake light so you could make the eyes glow if you used something translucent.
Thats a great idea! I hadn't considered anything beyond the tentacle itself. Especially like the idea of the translucent eyes! I'll roll this around in my brain a bit, then maybe start doing some sketches and see what I can come up with. Thanks Candy!!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,487 Posts
Very nice! :cool:

Only think I'd suggest is playing a tiny bit more with some darker painting to contrast around the suckers to really make the stand out. Have you tested how it looks in darker lighting/spotlights?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh! Make it look wet and slimey, that's a great idea slcjeeper! I had never even heard of that stuff before, thank you for the links!

Frankie's Girl - I haven't played with the lighting on it yet but that is definitely on my list now! Maybe I can water down some black paint and then wipe it off to make the suckers have more contrast.

·
Registered
476 Posts
These look awesome! nice job! i second the wet look. Never used the fright props stuff but it looks great. Allen hopps has a video on it. I think a cheaper wet look sealer that you can get for stone walls at home depot or Lowes and the like would work as well. I've got a gallon of it stashed away that i need to mess with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts