Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off guys, I'm Tim - first post on the forum. I've been clicking around here, and there are some great ideas on the board! Pumped I found it. Background real quick - I'm 21 worked some local haunts throughout the years in VA and one in Charlotte NC for Mr. Morris of morris costumes - knowledge so far pretty limited but I have a ton of great ideas, and hope to learn a lot more.

I have a great location near some local colleges, and I want to put on a tent haunt for the 2011 season. I hoped to get some input on the idea - what size tent ( I was thinking 20x30) what things you think would work best in and outside it, different themes that could work and be pulled off in a tent, easy animatronics (fcg etc)...really any input you can throw my way. I'm doing this as a "feeler" for how an actual haunt would work in my area - which is low population but 10 min from 2 major universities with about 40,000 students combined. So any business knowledge of haunting that can be thrown my way would be much appreciated as well.

Thanks a lot guys, I'll keep you posted the more I dig into this.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've been using a pair of 20x30 canopies to contain my haunt for a few years now.
The first few years we used light weight rope to hang the heavy gauge black plastic walls from. It took forever to make a grid system inside the canopies from which to hang the walls. And hanging any kind of heavy prop on the walls was out of the question. My biggest fear with this method was that some guest would walk thru the haunt with a pocket knife and in a few minutes be able to cut the ropes and have all the interior walls come crashing down.

The 20x30 canopies I use now each have six 10x10 conduit grids within them that transfer the load of all the walls out to the exterior walls. We can then lay 1/2'' conduit on the 10X10 grids to vary the shape of the rooms and walls.

Lots of good quality duck tape to attach the walls to the pipe and lots of zip ties and duct tape to hold the 1/2'' pipe in place.

I'm fortunate that the whole haunt is built inside a lockable building so weather and vandalism is not a problem.

Both are things you need to consider if your using canopies for your haunt.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts