Halloween Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been a bad year for Tekky, and they've only made two life-sizes and one rug prop. Spirit took them, and it was assumed that there would be more Tekky products next year. However, I heard from an employee that Tekky will no longer be partnering with Spirit after this year, due to repeated maintenance and product returns. :( I know many will say "good riddance" since their props were notorious for breaking, but I liked seeing their props in the displays, and they've been with Spirit for so many years. I guess YJ, SV, and other companies will have to keep picking up the slack. I wonder who Tekky will sell to, as Spirit carried the majority of their products, and all of their life-sizes. Other stores only carried the small stuff. I can't see this ending well for them. It's too bad their product quality never matched the creativity and animation.

·
black light queen
2,606 Posts
if they made props that were more durable then they wouldn't be getting the returns ... but they would cost more and wouldn't sell as many ... maybe they could consider selling directly to the public? obviously at a huge discount :) they'd have to also have reasonable shipping costs, and i'm uncertain how they'd accomplish both simultaneously ...

amk

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wanted to chime in on this one. I worked for spirit for 5 years and this year would have been 6, but decided to take a hiatus for awhile so I could concentrate on my own haunt. Anyway Tekky has been notrious for breaking and poor quality straight of the box. I would set-up a display and not more than an hour later it fell apart. Remember the demon carriage baby? that was a 300$ item and the motor burned up 2 hours later. As a sales person I could not push the animatrnics on people knowing the quality was extremely low. The more movement the prop has the more likely it will break. Tekky's service was also little to be desired. So hopefully Spirit will find another manufacturer for next year.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
I never had a problem with tekky breaking, but i always take great care of my props. I will trust the claims of other people saying tekky breaks a lot though.
If it is true that spirit is breaking away from tekky then we could all say good buy to them. They will most certainly go out of business, and the props they do make leading up to that will be even worst quality do to lack of money.

btw Gemmy is 10000000 times better than Tekky, and if you disagree than suck my pumpkin stem WITCH

·
Registered
32 Posts
I never had a problem with tekky breaking, but i always take great care of my props. I will trust the claims of other people saying tekky breaks a lot though.
If it is true that spirit is breaking away from tekky then we could all say good buy to them. They will most certainly go out of business, and the props they do make leading up to that will be even worst quality do to lack of money.

btw Gemmy is 10000000 times better than Tekky, and if you disagree than suck my pumpkin stem WITCH
In totality i agree with you HalloweenGuru! Gemmy always had better quality props out there! The props that were made years ago by Gemmy still work today if taken great care of. When I worked at Spirit we would have the Tekky props break down as soon as they were out of the box! Not to mention these were to be on display an average 8 hours a day going through rigorous play from customers. Hopefully a manufacturer will be found that will produce better quality items.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Thanks HellWolf, I really hate it when spirit customers abuse the props, and i don't even work there. It doesn't help that most employees don't know how to setup, take care of, and store props.If Tekky does die I hope Mario Chiodo takes over. Scratch that, i hope Mario Chiodo takes over anyway.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bud you have no idea how much customers abuse these things especially kids and I have chased out more than my share out of the store due to product abuse! This is'nt Wally World (Walmart). Unforunately we could'nt press the addage "you break you buy" mentality. I take Halloween very seriously and when you see people abuse or break these items I get a little more than angry. Its like someone would come into my yard and notoriously intentionally want to break something. A lot of kids and adults have no respect in the retail establishment. It gets crazy. Christmas at Halloween.

·
The guru is IN
1,240 Posts
Bud you have no idea how much customers abuse these things especially kids and I have chased out more than my share out of the store due to product abuse! This is'nt Wally World (Walmart). Unforunately we could'nt press the addage "you break you buy" mentality. I take Halloween very seriously and when you see people abuse or break these items I get a little more than angry. Its like someone would come into my yard and notoriously intentionally want to break something. A lot of kids and adults have no respect in the retail establishment. It gets crazy. Christmas at Halloween.
I wonder how much money Spirit loses due to people not wanting to buy props since the display was broke by a 12 year old who likes to press the try me button 50 times. I was watching a Spirit 2013 video and i heard in the background a kid yell "6 feet tall and you SUCK!" and then a thud. At my own store there was a Broken spine girl on display that was mangled, broke, and a doubt fully set up. An absolute genius came and stepped on the foot pad. It was not a pretty sight seeing the prop try to preform while in that state.Its sad that there's almost nothing Spirit can do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts