Halloween Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok So its official. I've talked to the band director and picked out a date. Now I'm stumped. I usually do a party mainly for kids (little ones cubscouts) now I have to have one for teens. My son is an avid gamer and loves things gory, the more blood and guts the better. I have the typical graveyard, but am thinking I need to kick my decorations and party up a notch. I'm thinking scavenger hunt, and unmentionable word game. What I'm not sure about is the following......

1. Should I make it just for the band members or their families as well.

2. How long should I have it listed as lasting? I'm starting at 7pm so 7-11 or 12?

3. There are as many boys as girls in the band so should I go too creepy with everything (decor and food) or somewhat cutesy too I love both glitter and gore are both equally good in my book.

4. Invitations...... should I do one to send out to each kid or should I just post them up on our band website or do both? Any suggestions on what to call the party and to put on the invite?

5. Ideas for some easy really really gross food. I've looked at the worms (in straws those are going to be a must. I have a brain mold but didn't get it to work out in the past and have tried meringue bones but those didn't work either (they all broke) any other ideas any suggestions will be helpful.

Thnx so much.

·
Registered
301 Posts
We have much in common....

1. Should I make it just for the band members or their families as well.

2. How long should I have it listed as lasting? I'm starting at 7pm so 7-11 or 12?

3. There are as many boys as girls in the band so should I go too creepy with everything (decor and food) or somewhat cutesy too I love both glitter and gore are both equally good in my book.

4. Invitations...... should I do one to send out to each kid or should I just post them up on our band website or do both? Any suggestions on what to call the party and to put on the invite?

5. Ideas for some easy really really gross food. I've looked at the worms (in straws those are going to be a must. I have a brain mold but didn't get it to work out in the past and have tried meringue bones but those didn't work either (they all broke) any other ideas any suggestions will be helpful.
From my experience with my teenage band kids:

1. most teens don't want parents and siblings at their party. I chaperon mine along with a couple of other parents, but we are "vets" and know all of the kids. I would think that your son being a "rookie" wouldn't want everyone's parents and siblings there. My kids would say that was "uncool." I would keep it with friends of your son only...

2. We hold ours from 8 pm till 12 Pm...minors can't be on the road driving past midnight here.

3. Halloween is creepy and gore all the way, not cutesy. The girls love the gore too. I had a lady try to tied by orange and black bows to our trees the first year we had the party and my kids about died.

4. Invitations: when dealing with massive amounts of kids, especially teenagers who lose everything, it's best to keep it simple. We print up a flyer and give it out. We usually print about 150 or so and around 80-100 show up.
I have my last years and this years if you want to see them, I can PM them to you.

5. As far as food, we tried the gross food and hot dogs and hamburgers, but by trial and error, we have found that the will gobble up nachos/cheese, massive amounts of chocolate candies, hot chocolate, and sodas. They will eat 3 times as much nachos/cheese as they will hamburgers/hot dogs/chips/dip...etc. At least my kids do...it's easy to fix in a crock pot and serve warm. You could serve pizza too if you want. Really though, that age of kids are there to hang out and socialize...I keep telling myself that I am not going to go all out to decorate because they really don't appreciate it, but I do it anyway...for me :)

Check out my albums...

HTH
Kaye

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanx for the information. I'd love it if you could pm me your fliers from the last couple of years. I'm sure I'll have more questions to ask soon.

·
The Goddess of Screams
518 Posts
I agree with HAlloween Mom!!

My teen (14) and tween (11) are boys - so we go all blood and gore as much as possible, but I never seem to get too gorey for them! (desensatized from movies I guess!)

I only make mine from 7-9 b/c I am WORE out by 9pm of watching 50 boys running around like crazy!! ALSO, my friends come with their kids, and MY friends stay with us to help chaperone, AND then at 9, after all the other kids are gone, our kids go inside for a Halloween movie and video games, and we have our ADULT Halloween outside around the bonfire! THAT party usually goes until 1-2am :D

·
Registered
576 Posts
Agree with above posts; just invite the teens and their friends; 7-11; guts and gore.

If you're looking for another activity, have a "Fear Factor" style challenge where they have to eat gross things. But not nice sweet things that are shaped into something wierd, I mean guh-ross. Go to your local asian market and find things like pig ears/feet/snout, chicken feet, beef tongue, and balut. If your lucky you may find some insects that can be fried up. Have juicy prizes ready for those that are brave enough.

I've had a few teen parties for my girl, and I've found that the biggest hit was the dancing.

I cleared out my back patio, set up a bunch of different colored rope lights, strobe light, and fog machine, plus I have a double ball party light for added fun.

Me and my daughter worked on a dance playlist to have of songs that she and her friends liked, then I put that in an iPod and pumped it through my stereo. I also set up chairs and blankets in the back yard for groups to congregate and chill.

I'm trying to convince my son (23) and Wifeypoo to have a Halloween party this year (I've been inspired by this site). I even told them I'd do all the planning - I just need help with the setup. Of course my teen daughter (now 17) is all for it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the new magazine plus a ton of others for some newer ideas. I'm really loving the movie outside idea but have no clue where to come up with a projector.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Since it's a band party, maybe the school would loan one? They're kind of expensive (even the bulbs), so I can see why they might say no, but might as well ask. Otherwise ask around and see who might be able to snag one from work - people who do presentations often have access (just be really careful with them!)

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far it looks like I'll have several of the normal band parents at the party that usually volunteer for the games to help chaperone. I'm thinking of talking some of them into dressing up to scare the kids in a maze I'm going to try to put togeather. I am also debating a bondfire have any of you done this? I'm not sure with about 60 or so kids give or take a few that it will be a great idea. I'm open for suggestions. I'm also debating on changing the menu up some if I do to something that involves hot dogs and marshmallows they can cook on the fire.

·
Registered
301 Posts
So far it looks like I'll have several of the normal band parents at the party that usually volunteer for the games to help chaperone. I'm thinking of talking some of them into dressing up to scare the kids in a maze I'm going to try to put togeather. I am also debating a bondfire have any of you done this? I'm not sure with about 60 or so kids give or take a few that it will be a great idea. I'm open for suggestions. I'm also debating on changing the menu up some if I do to something that involves hot dogs and marshmallows they can cook on the fire.
We do a bonfire every year...well it's contained in a large fire pit, so I guess it wouldn't really be a bonfire. We just post an adult by the fire all night. Haven't had problems yet, The kids roast marshmallows and love it. It's a brief happy moment - the length of roasting a marshmallow or two and then it's off to socializing again :) We have done hotdogs in the past and found that most of our kids don't like them. Nachos and cheese, however, gets gobbled up.

Good luck with your party! It sounds like fun. I hope you have a large turnout. Keep us posted please and don't forget to take lots of pics!

Kaye

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you do yours in a firepit off the ground or in a circle on the ground surrounded by something like large stones?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts