1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Human Candy Shovel
1,107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Super Moderator
5,612 Posts
Yeah, I'm kinda torn on this. We have a WIDE variety of treats available specifically because I know of allergy problems...Non nut treats, non gluten, non chocolate, etc. However, this is specifically requesting NON FOOD. Sure, I give out glow sticks to everyone anyway, and thus technically qualify, and I could probably find some non food items to have on hand, but I don't know that I want to throw my hat into the ring on this movement yet.

·
Seer of All
2,937 Posts
Nope. Sorry. If someone feels the need to do this on their own, fine. But I refuse to take responsibility for what other people's kids can and cannot eat. It's trick or treat for goodness sake, not a school lunch program, and don't even get me started on that.
And teal is a stupid color for a pumpkin! :p

·
Registered
917 Posts
There's a guy in our town that gives out non-food items every year simply because he never knows how many kids will stop and the left overs can be used the next year.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I hand out chocolate, too bad, so sad for those who can't eat them. The kids can trade them if they like.

I have severe food allergies (real, not imagined, I have seen real allergy doctors - not chiropractors or naturopaths sheesh!) So I know exactly what it is like not being able to have certain things. I got over it. I would NEVER ask anyone to accommodate my allergies.

I had one kid who said they had a peanut allergy. one. Out of 150.

Don't even get me started on the gluten-free bandwagon nonsense. I have family members with celiac disease. There is no way in hell that they would trust anyone with treats. But they sure can trade stuff!

As an FYI, those of us with real allergies or celiac disease take responsibility for ourselves. Don't worry yourself about what you are giving. We sort it out at home.

·
Registered
383 Posts
And if your kids are young and dumb enough to eat something they get, then as a parent you need to be with them , hovering. Seriously.Don't pass that rsponsibility on to someone else

·
Evil Wizard
2,147 Posts
Don't even get me started on the gluten-free bandwagon nonsense.
This. So much this.

Two or three years ago, my brother-in-law and his girlfriend came to visit for a few days, so we had to accommodate their requests for gluten-free pasta, etc. at every meal. Which was fine, no big deal. Whatever. On that Saturday afternoon, I had been out running errands. When I came back to the house, they had borrowed our other car to go somewhere. No problem.

Out of curiosity, I asked my wife where they'd gone. She tells me: "Oh, they went to Philly Pretzel Factory to get some soft pretzels."

Wait, what? :confused:

I have rarely laughed so hard as when I heard that . . . I still laugh about it, in fact. :D

·
Registered
194 Posts
My girls are allergic to chocolate...I taught them the skill of bartering and trade last year. Once they got home they emptied all their stuff on the floor and traded with others to get the candies that they could eat. They thought it was fun!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Pretty much our #1 priority.
Making sure there are options for as many kids as possible is always the first thing I think of when planning the treats!

I went trick or treating with my friend who has life threatening food allergies to stuff that is usually used in candy - because of this she didn't even want to go! There is something not very fun about getting a bag of stuff that can kill you and being constantly reminded of that as you go to each house...

Then coming home and having to pick out everything you can't eat and can eat and not sure of because there are no ingredients.
Usually the "not" pile was much bigger.

So we always give out stuff making sure everyone can enjoy something - this year we have bags of pretzels, stretchy skeletons, and glow sticks.

It is important to me that every kid can enjoy something that we're giving out and have a fun - stress-free Halloween as much as possible.

Personally, as a child I always liked the non - food treats the best anyway! And still have some saved with the decorations after all these years.

I would consider putting out a teal pumpkin and/or the sign.

·
Registered
3,633 Posts
I just wish someone would get to the bottom of all these food allergies and what exactly is causing them. Growing up I never heard of anyone having them!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts