Halloween Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Cost would depend on what you already have on hand. If you have to buy all new parts(valve, pump, power supply for valve, trash can, tubing etc), then $75 would probably cover it.

The key to this prop is the solenoid valve. It opens allowing air to pass through when current is applied. A PIR would work in that they would turn on and send power to the valve.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hi Goolie.

Assuming you have the air compressor and lines and a trashcan you really only need a few little parts to make this work.

A floor bicycle pump is around $15 and the sprinkler valve was $12. The 24v transformer is the pricey item at $22 new. So that's already $49 and you'll still need the little connector bits and a can.

I think the $75 guessimate is pretty darned close.

BTW, this is still the best scare in our haunt.

Cheers,
Push E.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, for the info! Actually, I don't have anything, well, I have a trashcan, just not one that I would want to use for that. I was planning to borrow an air compressor. As long as I can do it for around 100.00 I should be good to go!

·
Psychomaniac
623 Posts
That is an awesome prop. So easy to build too! I'll be putting one of those together for next year.

If you want to do this with a motion sensor you'll need some extras to control the opening time of the valve and the reset padding for the prop. I'm building a few motion sensor based props for this year and I'm using time delay interval relays to control effect duration and the motion sensor timer for reset delay.

One thing on the power supply... You can use AC or DC for those sprinkler valve solenoids. Replacement sprinkler timer power supplies should be a lot cheaper than Radio Shack. Heck, you can by a timer with power supply at Home Depot or Lowes for less than the power supply alone at Radio Shack.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts