Halloween Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I am trying to find inexpensive ways to do custom life size props inexpensive (well, I can spend some on the masks) but anyways, have you tried tape and saran wrap sculptures? How do they last? And lastly do they look good? I tried PVC at 1inch thickness and used duct tape, looks OK but, he is WAY to skinny and the pvc sometimes falls. My PVC prop can hold anything either so, if anyone has tried this, can the tape prop hold things?

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
Something I'll use as body filler in props are "pool noodles" - they fit nicely over wood, rebar or pvc frameworks, flex beautifully, cut easily, are (basically) carvable, have a great curve to them, nicely replicating the diameter of arms and shoulders, and are weatherproof by design.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I did a tape ghost and It was okay. Required a lot more tape than I expected. The way it looked with lighting was good enough to excite kids but not the adults. I don't have pics, Sorry. But I have seen some really impressive tape ghost on pinterest and other places.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply's. It seems like fun but I hope that they last. I tried pvc even with noodles and still is looking very thin. I wish there was an easier way to do DIY props. Can these tape guys hold things like a knife?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can try to send pics later today. Just for safety purposes, I am going to use a mannequin I have. I would use mannequins, but I noticed this is very expensive. I have one now that I can use. I have a HUGE selection of masks and props but need about 100 props or so for my haunt this year since it will be huge. Yard and Garage.
Nick

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was also going to put PVC inside the prop, which will make him keep his shape as well as giving him stability because I will make a stand I make PVC stands for them. I believe that that should help them aswell

·
Going bump in the night..
3,389 Posts
I have a HUGE selection of masks and props but need about 100 props or so for my haunt this year since it will be huge. Yard and Garage.
Nick
Holy cheese! That can get pricey quite quickly - a thought that came to mind is scrap wood and chicken wire (assuming these will all be static props). A staple gun will keep the chicken wire firmly attached to the wood, and is easily shaped. Should be fairly weatherproof as well.

·
Registered
14,681 Posts
I haven't, but saw the Scotch Tape Sculpture contest they do as far back as 2011 and posted about it here on HF. The link on that thread doesn't work any long but I did find that the Scotch contest site from 2012 is still up. Here's the URL to their How-To and Tip page from then: http://www.offtherollcontest.com/tipsandtechniques.html

I think I saw someone here on the forum do a tape sculpture this past year but can't recall who did it. I would think the viability of them would depend on a variety of factors such as moisture (like out in rain or snow) and heat (tape could get sticky). Suppose it's also possible with sun exposure the tape could start to yellow with light and age. If you could store it in a dark cool closet (or basement), in theory I could see it holding up for a while if not crushed.

Packing tape can get expensive so it might be hard to judge how much a large project might run. Always thought they were cool.

Another thought for you, if you haven't looked into paper mached props that are coated with monster mudd for sealing, you might look into that as an option. Info can be found here on the forum as well as sites like Pumpkinrot and Stolloween for starters.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks a bunch Ghost of Spookie!
Yes I saw that video, on youtube. These guys would only be outside once (halloween night) a year. Then stored in a garage air conditioned. DO you know where to get the monster mud and around how much they go for?
Nick

·
Super Moderator
5,920 Posts
Thanks a bunch Ghost of Spookie!
Yes I saw that video, on youtube. These guys would only be outside once (halloween night) a year. Then stored in a garage air conditioned. DO you know where to get the monster mud and around how much they go for?
Nick
Monster Mud and paper mache are typically two seperate things, though they CAN be worked together. However, Monster Mud DOES NOT SEAL anything against weather, you'd still need to seal it.

Anywho, if you're interested in monster mud, take a look here:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutor...ster-mudding-unorthodox-chimera-tutorial.html

·
bone collector
3,167 Posts
Not sure if any of this will help you Nick, but here goes....
Here are a few examples of packing tape ghosts. I can't speak for forum member Intellagirl(her ghosts are the 1st pic), but I bought my clear packing
tape at the 99C store(takes 3-4 rolls/ghost) Photo#2 is by forum member tinto212. That is a stuffed duct tape body(she used her boyfriend as the 'form') underneath the killer clown get up! #3 is the actual end result form. #4 is mine- a clear packing tape ghost, stuffed with plastic store
bags, under the costume & mask-no other reinforcement. The clear ghosts are fairly rigid, but if you are going to heavily 'dress them', or put any kind of stress on them, I would reinforce the clear packing tape with a layer(or two) of duct tape, and make sure you stuff it. Besides plastic bags(which make
the ghost very lightweight), you could fill will Great Stuff expanding foam. I have had 4 ghosts for 2 yrs now, we live in an extremely hot
climate, so far no storage issues(they live on the top of the Halloween heap).
Last link is to Pinterest-how to make a body form. You can find a lot of other body form tuts on there as well.

http://www.halloweenforum.com/hallo...ing-tape-couple-up.html?highlight=Intellagirl
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/67624431880205059/
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/67624431880205057/
http://www.halloweenforum.com/membe...s-picture237985-palm-reader-booth1-final.html

·
Registered
143 Posts
There is no other torture you can self inflict than to make a chicken wire form using your own body. Been there, done that. I have had that form for nearly 11 years and it has been through hell and back. It has been squished, run over and thoroughly abused but can be pulled back into its original shape. They hang outside and are able to survive wind, rain, snow and dark of night. For the areas where the chicken wire overlaps or pokes out, I put duct tape (the 100 MPH kind) so clothes can be placed on it without rips or tears. PVC skeleton can be put inside so a styrofoam head can be placed on top and the legs can be slid over rebar that has been driven into the ground. Never quite got around to doing a chicken wire form of the dog, he tends to be a bit cranky when it comes to that kind of stuff. Horses won't be still long enough (just kidding).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts