Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first project is going to be replacing my old tape ghost who only lasted 2 years.

tapeghost2015.jpg

I ordered a clear mannequin which should be showing up tomorrow (!) that I bought with birthday gift cards from my mother in law.

614o0KQe7dL._SL1500_.jpg

My plan is to get some fancy damask pattern clear/translucent shower curtains to make her a ballgown.

curtain.jpg

I'll make her a petticoat out of clear vinyl for volume without restricting any more light than necessary. This partially translucent material will also make hiding the stake she is on and the light under her skirts easy. No more flat black blinders necessary for her meaning she will also look good during the day!

I am still deciding on how I am going to do her hair. I might make a wig out of clear fine needlepoint mesh heat shaped to her head and clear fishing line. That would take a few months to finish but would give the best results. While I have never made a full wig before, I have ventilated a cheap wig to make it more full. It's a tedious process but I just don't think anything else will look as good.

I'll update this thread as I make progress.

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
6,714 Posts
Very cool idea!

Where did you order the manniquin from? And do post about the quality once you receive - very interested in this as it would also make a really cool "invisible" man/woman display. :)

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool idea!

Where did you order the manniquin from? And do post about the quality once you receive - very interested in this as it would also make a really cool "invisible" man/woman display. :)
I looked at those things all over and felt very silly indeed when the best price including shipping was from Amazon. The availability is a little sketchy, and I thought it would take months to ship, but they are half or less what I was seeing them for elsewhere.

I should be able to post about quality this weekend. I need to gather a few more materials before I start actually working on her but I could barely sleep last night going through the steps I need to take to get her done in my head.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK I haven't unpacked her yet because I have had a hell of a day but the mannequin is heavy and the plastic is much thicker than I expected.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HOLY HANNAH SHE IS TALLLLLLL!

IMG_3925.jpg

6'4", over a foot taller than I am. I'm used to my prop characters being my height. The only tall one before her is the monster.

She went together easily. She is pretty sturdy but I imagine if she took a tumble she might get a crack. I'm sure that will be tested before this is over.

The stand is fairly sturdy but it attaches to a plastic hold on one leg so obviously that will not do for windy conditions. It will help for draping her dress though. I may have to drill out a 1"-2" hole in an unmentionable place to secure her out in the yard.

NOT OPTIMAL
IMG_3926.jpg

I will get her out to the garage after I make some room. I will be working on her and the monster repairs simultaneously.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
how about some wig made of something like bubble wrap. lge bubbles if you are planning an victorian up do
That might look ok from a distance but I am too fussy about details and I think I need something better to be happy. She is kind of an investment and I feel like I need to do her as well as I possibly can.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The dress fabric came! I didn't realize the designs are silver and I couldn't be happier. That means she will glow bl;ue from within and then the designs will either be dark or reflect lights elsewhere in the yard.

IMG_3932.jpg

I draped it over a table that has some lights on it in the dining room.

IMG_3933.jpg

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_3957.jpg

Her petticoat is on. It's mostly there to add volume to her dress and to help it keep it's shape when it's windy.

I'm trying to decide if I want to cut her head off and put it back on to shorten her neck.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMG_3965.jpg IMG_3964.jpg

Got some work done on the dress. Her arms are off so it's easier to remove and fit. Also any of her 'skin' that's going to show needs to be frosted either with sanding or frost spray paint. I stopped working on the dress at this point because I am out of some supplies and I also don't feel like making sleeves right now anyway.

The blue light isn't placed right so the bottom of the skirt isn't glowing. The larger issue however is the metal plate at her hips/waist where the torso and legs attach. It's keeping the light from flowing up her properly and causing that bright reflection. Obviously, the plates have to go and that's going to be some pretty major surgery.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Would you be able to put some lights at the bottom and then some from the top of the plates up? I'm sure you considered that already but it looks pretty cool the way it is already.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Would you be able to put some lights at the bottom and then some from the top of the plates up? I'm sure you considered that already but it looks pretty cool the way it is already.
Yeah I thought about that but the way she is made in order to get a light above the plates they would have to be removed anyway.

IMG_3966.jpg

I'm going to have to drill out those rivets and then permanently attach her upper and lower half with resin OR ditch her legs all together and just make a stand for her upper half since her legs won't be visible anyway. I am leaning towards the second option as it will make her easier to store. Her petticoat, skirt and bodice are all going to be removable, (YAY! Clear Velcro!). I can then store her dress in a large muslin dress bag. The only issue is if I lose her legs I may need a second petticoat out of stiffer vinyl OR reinforcing the skirt or petticoat with the clear plastic boning I used in her bodice.

·
Registered
357 Posts
This is an amazing project and will be absolutely stunning when you are done. You are doing an incredible job ! ... Your dress is gorgeous!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts