Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is probably a stupid request. I bought a talking strobe light. You push the button and the strobe light goes off and it starts talking and has other sound effects. Any geniouses (sp?) out there know if there is anyway to rig it to continuously go off or even intermittantly without having to press the button?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Continuous is easy - just find a way to short the button (add a small wire across the contacts) and it will think the button is pressed all the time. Take out the batteries, figure out how to open the case and look for the button. There should be two wires going to it, find a small piece of extra wire in a similar size and connect the connection points by winding each end of the small wire around each one. Put the batteries back in (without closing it up) and see if it works. If it does, take out the batteries, wrap the two connections with electrical tape and close it up.

Intermittently would require a small circuit to close the contacts now and then.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff! Ok that solves the problem of one of my lights. I'll definitely give these instructions to DH. What about a skeleton that talks and lights up to the touch???

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i bought two at lowes last year. there is a switch on the back to turn the power on. the switch doesnt activate it...u have to touch it somewhere. when u do it is so cool, the jaw flaps like its speaking and it has multicolored lights coming out of the jaw and eyes and says, "dont be afraid of the dark, i will light the way..., etc.". i bought two and one of them stopped talking but the jaw and the lights still work which is fine because i dont want them both talking at the same ttime anyway. i am putting each of them on top of 6x6 posts that are at the end of the driveway entering the backyard. so when the kids approach the gate i want them to go off. i can send a video later if needed.

also i said skeleton. they are just these 6" skulls

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmm...these may also respond to sound (like clapping your hands). I think I remember someone using some type of driveway monitor that made a noise when it saw movement.

Ah hah! Here it is:
http://www.halloweenforum.com/tutorials-step-step/120923-extremely-simply-pir-prop-trigger.html

And here's a link to the Driveway Alert System he used:
http://www.harborfreight.com/wireless-driveway-alert-system-93068.html

Put the receiver next to the sound-activated prop you want to set off, and the sensor out where people will walk by.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok we tried to bypassthe sound circle thing. we stripped the wires and twisted them together. it now goes on automatically when the switch is turned on but only once. i want it to keep repeating. any ideas?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hmm...it seems the circuit in that prop wants to turn on, go through its routine and then get triggered again. Unfortunately you'll have to move up to something a bit more.

If you're up for soldering a simple kit together, there's a Velleman timer kit that would turn something (like an LED light) on and off regularly, it could be set up to point the LED at the light sensor on a prop like that and to trigger it over and over.

http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=350686

It's also available assembled, but it costs a lot more:
http://www.vellemanusa.com/products/view/?country=us&lang=enu&id=523190

If you're interested I can make a quick video and show how it works; I was considering it for the electronics tutorial thread.

·
Registered
429 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
since i paid about 15 bucks for the skull thats more than i want to invest. i was hoping it would be a simple process of disconnecting a wire or tying a couple together. thanks for your expertise! looks like they will just be activated whenever they feel like it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts