Halloween Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I don't currently have any coffins but off the top of my head, I can remember 3 I've owned in the past and yeah foam sucks for coffins IMO...Too easily damaged, too light and it's hard to make anything animated work if you want to....I can't find a better pic right now but you can see the foam coffin I had dead center of the pic right behind the gray tombstone....I loved the looks of it best but it was so fragile, really had to gently handle it.....

In the 90's I built one out of plywood and lasted up until I sold it after my last walk through in 2012...That final year I had the plastic chain with lock from the foam coffin around it, the coffin was hinged to the floor in the front so it couldn't move forward and had a pneumatic cylinder mounted to the wall behind it with a real chain mounted to the wall attached to it so it couldn't topple forward....The real chain made a rattle when the cylinder pushed it forward with a loud bang when it went back down against the floor and shook a little...Stood up to it just fine and had nothing loose at the end of the season.....

Since your doing pallet wood slats....This last one I had might be a good design for that....It was made by Scare Parts.....

My next generation toe pincher coffin is going to be highly detailed...I'm going to build one like the plywood in the 90's and then add details in fiberglass like this piece

Good Luck....Post pics when your done!....ZR

·
Halloween Nut
2,942 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want the raw/antique wood look. Start with the cheap fence boards in unstained cedar. Wet them down to raise the grain. For more grain wet them down well & use a wire (steel not brass) brush in a drill. That well gouge out the softer part of the grain. Ten you can use a couple different colors of stain to really bring the look out. Or you can torch the surface then wire brush or vice versa. Best to experiment with a couple of boards first to get just the look you want. Some lumber yards/stores will have the "Blue & wormy" pine too. Because of the worm holes. Usually it's one of the cheapest woods too. We are trained by Hollywood. To mainly think of the toe pincher/diamond shaped coffins. But most in the 19th century were straight sided (easier to build)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have 5 wooden ones they last forever! One I have had for over thirty years - I store my fog machines in it. My Favorite one, is a molded Plexiglass one that I put a figure of Lucy Westerina in it... I wish I had a better photo!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts