Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my big project for 2020 is going to be FINALLY making a coffin for my graveyard. NO FOAM. Obviously I could bang one out of foam in a night but I want a wood one I can actually use for storage in the off season. Also I DESPISE foam. I hate how it feels, i hate how it gets destroyed if you trip and fall into it once. I just hate it.

So who has built a wood one? I am looking at these plans to get me started. https://www.northwoodscasket.com/build-your-own-coffin

·
Registered
211 Posts
Storage is the big thing (even though you can put a lot inside it). I used screws so I could easily take it apart after the season. I built mine a touch too small for myself to lie in, an important concern if you ever want someone to pop out of it (such as yourself). Using actual pine works, but will be expensive. I used a mix of plywood with pine trim, which helped reduce the cost of material yet kept it classy looking (plus reinforced the plywood).

·
Registered
23 Posts
I built one a previous year out of old rotted fence board and it looked good, but was only sides and a lid. It wasn’t designed to last and was recycled after November.

If I built another, I’d probably use a similar technique to what used to weather the pine wood siding I used to build the barn doors for my wife’s walk-in closet.

Used a wire brush in a drill going with the grain to give it texture and then hit it with two stains, really light. Cleared flat and used square nails to join.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Scare FX are good if you want to go cheap and they are a bit smaller and easier to build. I built 2 of these and use them for skeletons.

The Northwoods was my second try and a bit harder but you can fit a normal person in it. I trimmed it with skid wood.

My 4th was the Dracula coffin on the Jimmy Diresta Youtube Channel. It was challenging because there is no plans so i just had to wing it. Not as good as his but it works.

those are the three levels in my opinion. I hope this helps.

Attachments

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have two different types of coffins.

One is a pretty old, store bought, flat pack style. You don't see many of these anymore. It's made from that super thin luan plywood, with fabric tape hinges. Top and sides only, and the top is held on with pegs. Lightweight and super easy to store, so this gets the most use.

The other coffins are solid wood, and they are heavy and cumbersome. I don't use them much because they're difficult to move, store, and not as versatile to display. Styled after this crypt in Mexico City, they have solid sides, cheap hardboard masonite backing, and the fronts are "glass" (clear vinyl), with decorative trim molding. I'd love to rebuild these in the style of the first one.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I followed these directions: http://www.scarefx.com/project_coffin.html
Came out pretty well I think.
Halfway through I realized it was going to be very heavy and deep so I only made it half high.
I used lightweight wide fence pieces (HomeDepot) rather than regular boards to make it even lighter. (one person can pick it up and move it around)
If you know where you're going to put your coffin make note of which side you need to put the hinges.
I keep mine open with a skeleton or Dracula figure inside.
Where I placed the hinges on mine, with the lid up it would block the figure inside if I placed the coffin on the left side of my driveway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I made my half coffin out of old fence planking someone left behind the local hardware store, It is indeed great for storage in the off season, all my skeleton stuff goes in it. I also wired it to 120v and put a red light in it along with a small fogger, looks great when the fog comes out and the light bleeds through.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Ok, my toe pincher style was built sometime in the previous millennium. I just drilled holes in the sides because it was the 1st time someone was going to be in it. That also explains the pillow. I made it by having my wife outline myself in chalk and used that as for the measurements. It was like the better part of 2.5 sheets of 3/4 inch oak plywood. Lessons learned. Dont use 3/4 ply it like 60 lbs a sheet. Storage is a bit of a pain as it doesn't break down. Transporting it is cumbersome. (it spent years at a mini-storage place) only a pickup or full size van could move it. It is great for storage my very fragile mummy rests in there for 350+ days a year. Oh and the angles are a pain to figure out too, so mine are not perfect. I think I kept 1 side of the joints square and the other did all the angles instead of 1/2 on each. All said and done, I love it.

If I where to do it again or make it a brother, I would use far thinner wood, like 1/4 inch and maybe re-enforce the interior with 1x4 or something. Oh a locking hasp of some sort is a good idea and I need to make a "stop" so it can only open a little past 90 degrees.

8490412323146528951.jpg

·
Registered
210 Posts
Personally I am going with old fence boards. I will have a thread up in a few months, after it starts warming back up. Starting today I will be pulling fence boards. I personally think this is a dual purpose thing for me. First my fence could use new boards anyway. Second my coffin will look better with old looking boards. Once the boards are pulled I am going to leave them flat on the ground beside my house and start using a mixture of buttermilk and blended chunks of moss on them. If kept in partial sun the moss should start taking hold of the boards and grow. I want the coffin to look like it really was sitting partially above and below ground. I am not going to disassemble mine year to year, I am just going to stack them. If they fall apart, great ! That makes them look more natural and I will fix anything that absolutely has to be fixed. I need some type of handles on the sides but not just anything will do, it needs to look authentic.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I'm going to put a Monster In A Box-type wiper motor rig inside to randomly shake the lid up and down and have a pair of hands grabbing the lid from inside.
Have any tips on pulling that off? Do you have any links where someone has done something similar?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts