Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, it's Talia's turn for "mini society". The kids make a liitle thing to sell for monopoly money, and then buy prizes with their earnings at an auction.

Since Kyle had this project, we've been making Skulls.

Both the boys cleaned up with a small skull and a "premium" one. Kyle made crystal versions for "Premium". Alec made larger models. Both boys really focused on trying to corner the market on other boys with 'cool' looking skulls, with only a few done in 'girl' colors.

Talia has been wanting to do this since Alec got his chance 4 years ago. She watched, noted what was selling, and had her own ideas even back then on what he should be doing.

Thus, she's been talking about it ALL YEAR, and the time is finally upon us.

Talia wanted to break from what the boys did. Specifically she wanted something a little more wide ranging in it's appeal, and target a much wider audience. "More cartoony" as she put it. Something that could more easily be pretty, and yet still be cool for the boys. She is not wanting to just have the boys rushing over

Thus we set out looking for the right ice cube trays months ago, and finally found them.

Because, really. Who DOESN'T want a fluorescing skull fridge magnet? (most my 'kids craft paints' are fluorescent paints I got on sale various places)

Still need to figure out a good sign for the "Talia's Tomb" store front.

She wants "Talia" in flowery letters, and "Tomb" in 'scary' letters.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yes, it's a school project.

So, the kids all get a JOB at school. (Mayor of the classroom, mail clerk to hand out the homework, janitor,etc) They had to apply for their jobs, and get paid in monopoly money each week.

Now, as they are earning money, they are supposed to come up with a craft or service, or treat to sell for the big blowout at the end, to teach the kids about supply and demand. Some kids sell lemonade, or popcorn, etc, others might make pet rocks or puppets. Cost of the craft is supposed to be $15. They then take what they've made, and SELL it to each other for the money they earned doing their jobs at basically a big elementary school craft fair. They are encouraged to alter prices if something's not selling, etc. We....made skulls. I figure it's something the kids don't usually see, so it sells well in that fashion.

You can see my cousin to the right of Alec's booth there was selling trick or treat bags. In May. They sold out. We had a little Halloween corner, I found it kinda funny.

Then there's a second day when they can sell again, and parents are invited to attend and can buy some of the funny money to shop with. We try to find kids who maybe aren't selling too well, and buy from them when we go.

After everything is sold on that second day, there's The Auction. Kids get to use what money they have left to buy prizes.

Kyle saved most his money for the auction, and bought pizza and a bunch of smaller stuff here, (I seem to remember there was a big bidding war over the poster):

Alec I think he ate about 30 hot dogs between the two days the kids were selling to each other. He'd get a little money and go buy another hot dog. He brought mostly candy home from the auction too.

Both of them had some of the more successful booths.

·
Soccer and Lacrosse Dad
1,767 Posts
I really enjoy the unique experiences your school offers their students. I am a true believer that the more fun kids have while learning the more they will learn.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
It seems like many younger generations were taught they Could not "DO", so don't even try! So Wrong! All life is about "Doing!" and enjoying the praise from your accomplishments and eventually that financial reward so we can live!
My Haunted House is filled with those things I have DONE! This is what has supported me for the last 29 years. Showing people my house, touring them through it.
Your school is very forward thinking. .. and until or unless we de-evolve and have no hands or creative minds, we who "Do" will have the fun! (I have no idea of what those who don't "DO" will have? )

·
Undertaker
3,196 Posts
Yes- real life experiences, how to bank, how to budget, and simply too- how to study. A lot of schools don't teach any of these. I agree with doto-what a fun project for your kids, and it stirs their minds for entrepreneurship!
I agree with Matrix mom except the part about having to own a ship. Not everyone lives near the water. I think it would be better spent if they were prepped for owning their own business or investments.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some of the larger skull "Pots". Or pencil holders. They are open at the top and basically a hollow cylinder inside. She's only going to have about 20 of these. She made the mold and has been casting them, I'm not sure the mold will last to all 20, but it'll be close, she's at 17 presently.

She's doing a bunch of these sugar skull style as well.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Big day is tomorrow.

Couple I did up for her, I can only do a few at a time before my hands hurt. She made ~60 of the ones she painted. Think I have just over a dozen of these.

Ended up with 18 of the bigger skulls before the mold started being problematic.

Gotta go dig out a pose n stay to hold her sign.

·
My other ride is a Ninja
11,008 Posts
Some of the larger skull "Pots". Or pencil holders. They are open at the top and basically a hollow cylinder inside. She's only going to have about 20 of these. She made the mold and has been casting them, I'm not sure the mold will last to all 20, but it'll be close, she's at 17 presently.

She's doing a bunch of these sugar skull style as well.
Love these she is doing fantastic can wait to hear how it gose

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, it's Talia's turn for "mini society". The kids make a liitle thing to sell for monopoly money, and then buy prizes with their
Still need to figure out a good sign for the "Talia's Tomb" store front.

She wants "Talia" in flowery letters, and "Tomb" in 'scary' letters.

·
Super Moderator
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
So, the power died and they postponed the sale till today:

The large skulls were the most expensive thing at the fair, and things started off slow. But she stuck to her guns on price, and each one sold worked as advertising

That soon rolled into a big run, and she sold out around half way through. The magnets ended up having competition with 3 others selling fridge magnets (no skulls though). We ended up taking a few home, but when we had 80, and bring home ~6, thats not so bad.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts