Halloween Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm certain I am not the first or the last person who's had this brilliant idea, but it occurred to me as I was thrift shopping and came across a creepy oil painting of a tree with an empty swing that I could outline it in glow in the dark paint and possibly add a little ghostly addition inhabiting the swing who is only revealed when the lights go off. My husband however doubts my artistic prowess, so has anyone found a glow in the dark paint that is invisible (clear) in normal daylight but could be washed off if I make a mistake during application?

·
Registered
4,562 Posts
Haven't seen that stuff since the late 60's, it was an opaque glow in the dark paint that stank of rotten eggs. No doubt discontinued for it's toxic content.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I love modifying other's artwork. I have a painting of a Swiss village, alps in the backround, a single path through the village, a farmer leading two bulls pulling a farm cart.. then I added a white UFO flying over, some parts of other UFO's hidden inside of a few of the buildings and two aliens wearing white cowboy hats astride the two bulls who are pulling the farm cart, as the farmer remains oblivious..

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Another heavily modified sort of minimalistic painting of a French street multi-story apartment buildings, in the rain with a horse-drawn taxi.. now also has some antennas sticking out from the abstract heads of some of the citizens, an obscene dog on the street, since it is France, a street guilotine higher than the apartment buildings as a high-wire goes right through the area where the blade slides from it's exteremely high starting point, a wire-walker is blingfolded and King Kong is looking over this whole situation (looking for Jessica Lang.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts
Thanks for that link RCIAG. I'm very inspired. I have a painting of a man and woman ball room dancing in the shadows. Was wondering yesterday if I could add a drippy vampire bite on her neck. It must be a sign that I saw this thread today so I'm going for it. I'll post a pic when it's done. Gotta get the paint.

·
Lady Of The Lake
2,729 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
I know your asking about glow in the dark paints, but have you considers using a clear laundry detergent, and a black light? With the "ghostly" feel your going for it may work. Could keep the painting dimly lit, with the black light coming on to reveal your addition, without making everything else completely dark.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I know your asking about glow in the dark paints, but have you considers using a clear laundry detergent, and a black light? With the "ghostly" feel your going for it may work. Could keep the painting dimly lit, with the black light coming on to reveal your addition, without making everything else completely dark.
Kind of what I was thinking... Would RIT work? If so, you could conceal a black light rigged with a florescent starter to flicker reveal the ghostly image.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I once had a copy of a picture of an old man praying, hands clasped, elbows on a table, his hands were maybe a few inches from his forehead, eyes closed. This is a famous painting.
When I got done modifying it , the expression on his tired old face took on a new meaning .
It was really Very simple to draw an ice pick in his hands as he is now stabbing himself in his head!
A small little blood drip or two, too.

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
There is a glow in the dark paint that doesn't need blacklight to show. Just exposed to light then it glows in the dark. Blacklight does make it glow also. It is acrylic avail at any store that sells crafts. If you buy the colors, they will show. Tide glows under black light as does tonic water.

Now you all have me thinking of painting over some pics...............

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I made an original painting that is displayed in Ravens Grin. It is fairly large maybe 5 ft. by 3Ft.? I drew then painted hundreds of small creatures, people and objects all colorfully twisted around and about one another, it is very busy and very filled with everything.
Many years ago I got SO TIRED of hearing teenagers looking at this work and then remarking:"Wow, Man! You must do a lot of drugs!"
I have NEVER done any drugs, nor alcohol but rather than simply make such a statement, I instead choose to say:"Yes I did , and I am your Real FATHER!"
(Sort throws the "ball" back into their back-court doesn't it?)
Then I go on to tell them I have never done drugs , because I don't want to share the "Credit"!

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
For maybe the first ten years I had Ravens Grin open (Every night) I would warn people enjoying the bad dream bed to not reach out , because you might knock my razor blade collection over and onto themselves!
So after saying this line 1,000s of times, one day I was doing some electrical work and I removed the old medicine cabinet in the upstairs bathroom to fish a wire down that wall. Much to my surprise I discovered 425 old razor blades below the removed cabinet between the studs because the old cabinet had a small slot in it's design inside of it with a small decal telling people to stick the old razor blades in that slot to get rid of them!
IF any of those blades could have fallen, they would have landed right on top of someone using the bad dream bed! (Coincidence that I had said this so many times, or was "someone" whispering in my brain?
The old razors were dark blue, shiny bright stainless steel, metallic green, brown and a few more colors...
425 Blades!
Why waste them? I would create some art using them! Glue them to a piece of plexiglass ,making a design,or a face?
I laid out a large piece of the plexiglass, spread out some old blades to get me thinking what the image might be.
Maybe just a day later a young man taking my house tour saw all of this and made a drug comment as if someone had been using the old razors to spread their "white powder'" out across the plexiglass!
The razor blade collection went to the landfill.
The absolutely LAST thing I could have ever thought of was this drug connection / thing..

·
Margarita Goddess
5,440 Posts
Man I would have put all the blades in a jar & put them in one of my cabinets.
Gotta wonder why people think everything has to do with drugs........

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
"Wonder why people think everything has to do with drugs?"
That is what most drugs "DO!" Ingratiating themselves into your physical body and taking up too much space in your brain and mind.
I am almost 65 years old. I have lived behind two taverns for 27 years and seen and know "a lot".
People like to lie to themselves about what drugs and alcohol is NOT doing to them, and of course ignore those sometimes more subtle long-term bad effects..
I am a child of the 1960's when music sold drugs to so many teenagers.
I did NOT partake, but of course I had friends and classmates that did.
I saw "Harmless" Weed diminish "A" and "B" students into "C" and "F" students unable to compose then speak a complete and sensible sentence, yet still be surprised when the report card gave evidence.
So sure. Let's make it "Legal" so more can stupify themselves in helplessness or..... worse.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts