Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing some looking around, and saw the cosplay folks have taken a real shine to the new Pennywise from IT, and I thought I would gamble on how well the movie does and make a prop. Based on what I heard coming out of Comicon, and the buzz around the trailers, I think there's going to be a lot of interest.

Everything has to be ordered from China as nothing is in wide release here in the US, so I won't be able to get started until late August, but this is the mask I ordered:

Good news is the look is nice, but the eyes are wrong. I'm going to need to get some creepy yellow eyes in there. I might put lights behind them too. :)

And this is the costume:

Good news is it's a tailored cosplay outfit and not a cheap Halloween costume, so the fit and detail is much better. Bad news is it's made of cotton fabric so it's not weatherproof like a nylon costume.

And here's the eyes...

I have a mannequin to build it on, so the out-the-door price will be about $260, which isn't bad for a really nice figure.

·
Registered
833 Posts
love the idea!!! Im still on the fence....not sure about the goofy oversized teeth. I will need to see thr movie before I can decide :)

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
love the idea!!! Im still on the fence....not sure about the goofy oversized teeth. I will need to see thr movie before I can decide :)
I think I'm going to do the same thing we did with the original Pennywise we did and cut out the mask teeth and replace with dentures.

My suspicion is this movie is going to go big, and when it does it's going to be tough to get good merchandise. As it is, they don'y expect delivery of the costume until Sept 1-Sept 9. The movie comes out Sept. 8.

It also looks like I need to find a way to make that neckpiece stand up a bit.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I think I'm going to do the same thing we did with the original Pennywise we did and cut out the mask teeth and replace with dentures.

My suspicion is this movie is going to go big, and when it does it's going to be tough to get good merchandise. As it is, they don'y expect delivery of the costume until Sept 1-Sept 9. The movie comes out Sept. 8.

It also looks like I need to find a way to make that neckpiece stand up a bit.
Dentures will look amazing!!!:) You are so rite..all of the merch will sell out. Im looking forward to seeing the the movie.

·
Halloween Elitist
2,891 Posts
Bruzilla,
I like that you are making a preemptive move, you'll be ahead and maybe merch won't be available till next year, I might follow your lead banking on that the movie will be a hit

·
Registered
628 Posts
That is one creepy clown. I hope the quality turns out as good as you expect. Was wondering where you got the eyes. Haven't run across that particular style.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is one creepy clown. I hope the quality turns out as good as you expect. Was wondering where you got the eyes. Haven't run across that particular style.
Ebay. Search for yellow monster eyes.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good news, bad news... as always!

Good news is the mask came in from China and it looks AWESOME! The biggest issue I always had with the old Pennywise masks was they never got Curry's hair right. The hair on this mask is perfect. I also got word yesterday that the costume has been made and shipped, which I was getting worried about given the recent tensions going on over there. Just my luck, someone would put an embargo on exporting or importing goods and we would be screwed, but it looks like it's going to make it here.

The bad news was the eyes I got are a skosh bit too small. I ordered 20MM ones, and the pupils don't look right. I ordered a set of 25MM and I think those will work.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Love the idea. i grew up on the original so i've had my doubts about it until the trailers hit and it didn't make me want to run off and vomit like most remakes so that's promising. The new look works for me, he's pretty creepy with a bit of silly in the mix.

hope the costume turns out looking nice. gota be careful with those ebay costumers. they use images that are nothing like what they actually make. hopefully this isn't one of them. looking forward to seeing it on the mannequin. :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'm doing both versions of Penny this year in full display mode. The New It I'm going to display on a custom base and make a sewer although he wont be in it he will be on top of it. I also want to do some acrylic water and make the paper SS Georgie boat, I'm not a fan of the cosplay costume for Penny. Not for that price you can do much better if you haven't bought it already. They look way way too dark of a gray and the material is satin he wears with a lace triple collar. It is almost a off white. The costume was a light dusty gray. The mask looks cheap to me but I do film and FX work so I'm never a fan of cheap china made mask. If I can post a picture here I show you the my mask. I also took the costume from the original art work. This is more off the off white and didn't have the fringes. His pompoms are a deep burt orange and not red as almost all costumes I've seen seem to have red. It looks red but if you want it screen perfect they are orange believe it or not. The trim around the cuffs and the ankles, it’s basically a ball fringe that’s a combination of orange, red, and cinnamon. The ball fringes are plastic in your costume which is why I not a fan of the whole costume at all. pennywise-the-clown.jpg IMG_5080.jpg 2017 penny.jpg 17penny.jpg 13000374_1280233915337921_1392311854595074153_n.jpg orgpenny.jpg

The costume I had done is almost perfect to the original art work with the exception of the pompoms which are a deep red not deep orange and need to be changed . They are still not correct. This picture the costume is not weathered yet so it is a little too new looking. I'm just not sure if I'm going with the Art work or dusty grey satin color as in the film. I'm also adding the white gloves and the claws/nails stick out as in the climax of the film. So when he is done he be on a base that has a sewer with water(Fake water) acrylic and the paper boat drift toward the sewer. He will hold a red balloon. It be cool when I'm done but it has to be near perfect and screen perfect or I won't do one.

The next picture is the Original Penny. I'm doing the evil version, his costume is custom done dead on except a need to do some small things with the vest yet. He will also have a custom base but just on grass holding the colored balloons.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Id like to see how this comes out? Did you get the costume on ebay? Does it come with shoes?
I got it from a Chinese COSPLAY maker on ebay. They sell it with or without the shoes. There are two types being sold. One is cheaper, but it has no detail to it. The one I got is about twice as much, but has all the details right, down to the little peppermint balls hanging down.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm doing both versions of Penny this year in full display mode. The New It I'm going to display on a custom base and make a sewer although he wont be in it he will be on top of it. I also want to do some acrylic water and make the paper SS Georgie boat, I'm not a fan of the cosplay costume for Penny. Not for that price you can do much better if you haven't bought it already. They look way way too dark of a gray and the material is satin he wears with a lace triple collar. It is almost a off white. The costume was a light dusty gray. The mask looks cheap to me but I do film and FX work so I'm never a fan of cheap china made mask. If I can post a picture here I show you the my mask. I also took the costume from the original art work. This is more off the off white and didn't have the fringes. His pompoms are a deep burt orange and not red as almost all costumes I've seen seem to have red. It looks red but if you want it screen perfect they are orange believe it or not. The trim around the cuffs and the ankles, it’s basically a ball fringe that’s a combination of orange, red, and cinnamon. The ball fringes are plastic in your costume which is why I not a fan of the whole costume at all. View attachment 449809 View attachment 449817 View attachment 449825 View attachment 449833 View attachment 449841 View attachment 449849

The costume I had done is almost perfect to the original art work with the exception of the pompoms which are a deep red not deep orange and need to be changed . They are still not correct. This picture the costume is not weathered yet so it is a little too new looking. I'm just not sure if I'm going with the Art work or dusty grey satin color as in the film. I'm also adding the white gloves and the claws/nails stick out as in the climax of the film. So when he is done he be on a base that has a sewer with water(Fake water) acrylic and the paper boat drift toward the sewer. He will hold a red balloon. It be cool when I'm done but it has to be near perfect and screen perfect or I won't do one.

The next picture is the Original Penny. I'm doing the evil version, his costume is custom done dead on except a need to do some small things with the vest yet. He will also have a custom base but just on grass holding the colored balloons.
That 2017 Pennywise costume looks like the cheaper ones that are for sale on ebay. The color is too light and it's missing a lot of detail. The challenge we have is there hasn't been a lot of goof views of the character yet, and the exact color of his costume seems to change quite a bit. Sometimes it looks like a light gray, and sometimes it's much darker. I'm guessing we'll be airbrushing ours quite a bit to give it a more creepier look.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got the 25MM eyes in today and they are perfect! I am a happy man! Now I just need the amber GOW bulbs and relay switch to come in so I can light them up.

As for the teeth, I was going to go with dentures, but after seeing the latest trailers the mask teeth aren't far off. He's got some big honking teeth up front, so I think I will add additional teeth and paint to match.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Whew... tracking is showing the costume is now stateside and in the hands of the USPS. Now hopefully they won't dork anything up.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yay... the costume has arrived and I am thrilled! It is exactly like the photos on ebay, and it fits our mannequin like a glove... which it should being as they tailored it to the measurements I gave them. :) I had been a little worried that the costume would be made of cotton, which isn't good for a prop that's gonna spend a lot of time getting wet, but it's made of a synthetic fabric so no worries there. The detailing is spot on. The gray fabric looks right, the piping looks right. The little peppermint balls and red tassels look right. The boots are awesome too.

I took these shots right after we got the costume on the mannequin. I need to get a steam machine to get the wrinkles out, but so far so good. The only thing I'm not liking is the monochromatic look. It may be true to the movie, but I think it doesn't look creepy enough. I think I'll be airbrushing some darker shades of gray and some black in different areas of the sleeves and legs to make it look a bit more sinister, but I'm really liking how this is turning out so far!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm just glad to be making a prop that doesn't need special hands. I'm usually adding veins, extending fingers, adding webbing or claws, painting, etc. For this all I had to do was put the gloves that came with the costume on the hands and done. :)

·
Sleep with one eye open
593 Posts
Hi Bruzilla ,

The costume looks fantastic . I agree with you , needs some airbrushing to creep it out and make it look lived in . Great idea to do the new Pennywise , following along to see your finished work of art .

Tom

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My older son noticed that I have the Pennywise mannequin next to our werewolf, mummy, and Creature From The Black Lagoon figures, which are all beings Pennywise takes on to terrify kids in the book. I told him I didn't even think about that, but it makes for a cool display. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts