Halloween Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question may have been answered else before but I couldn’t find this question being asked.

I just purchased three fan synchronous motors 12v ac, can anyone tell me if I can use an ac/dc power supply to power these motors. Like this one on eBay 293202306179?

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,004 Posts
Do you have an actual link to the type of motors/ebay sale? The info you posted doesn't show anything and there's no way to pull up Ebay links based on the info in your post.

But if it's a AC, then it may not be suitable for AC/DC power supply (cord/wall wart, whatever you call them).

I found this site (no recommendation or experience with them personally, just like that they show the pic of the parts clearly with the motor) showing a 12v AC 5rpm synchronous motor WITH AC wall power cord.

But I'd definitely wait for one of the super smart electronics/mechanical geniuses on this forum to state what they'd recommend. It is a bit slower this time of year, but we do have many smart prop builders popping in lately (not me, I am mechanically challenged!)

·
Registered
579 Posts
Depending on the specific requirements of your motors, you should be able to use an appropriate 12V computer adapter. You can usually get them relatively cheap on Amazon or eBay.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
This question may have been answered else before but I couldn’t find this question being asked.

I just purchased three fan synchronous motors 12v ac, can anyone tell me if I can use an ac/dc power supply to power these motors. Like this one on eBay 293202306179?
Are you sure they are 12vac and not 120vac? Post a pic showing the motor specs if you can.

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,447 Posts
If it is a 12 ac motor then a 12 volt dc power supply won't work. You'll need an ac power supply. As J-man said , make sure it's not 120 volts ac.

Here's a link to a transformer that will work if the amperage is with in the limits. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
BAD INFLUENCE
11,447 Posts
That transformer would be more than enough to power that motor.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There’s a link to the motor and the power supply. If anyone can answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
There’s a link to the motor and the power supply. If anyone can answer my question, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly.
The motor you linked to is indeed 12vac. The power supply you linked to is DC and will not work with that motor. You need a 120/220vac to 12vac adapter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on the specific requirements of your motors, you should be able to use an appropriate 12V computer adapter. You can usually get them relatively cheap on Amazon or eBay.
Hi, thats where I’m confused. A 12vac computer adapter say output 12v dc 5a
The motor you linked to is indeed 12vac. The power supply you linked to is DC and will not work with that motor. You need a 120/220vac to 12vac adapter.
Thanks mate, I just purchased two 220-240v motors and I’ll get some lamp cord and splice the wires. I’ll try and find that adapter but I can’t find them on eBay.
Thanks for answering my question.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Just a quick FYI on unregulated power supplies, until the load reaches the stated output (in this case 1A) the output voltage will be higher than the rating. On the flipside, if the load exceeds the stated output, the voltage will be lower than the rating. This may or may not be an issue for this particular application but as a general rule, regulated or switching power supplies are a much better choice.

·
Registered
234 Posts
It won't really be an issue in the case of the 12V AC supply. The load regulation on the ones I've used before is actually not bad.

You're right about regulated supplies for DC applications, but that's not an option for the AC motors in question.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It won't really be an issue in the case of the 12V AC supply. The load regulation on the ones I've used before is actually not bad.

You're right about regulated supplies for DC applications, but that's not an option for the AC motors in question.
Thanks David the power adapter works perfectly.

Cheers.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts