Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SybilPromo600px_zps074d6d7e.jpg
Sybil the Clairvoyant is a professional quality projection effect kit that anyone with access to a video projector can do. You simply project the DVD onto the included head form, and watch your guests become completely mesmerized by this incredible illusion. Sybil conducts a séance that's sure to impress.

Watch the demo video below to see all the cool, creepy effects, and scroll down a little further for the how-to video for more information about how to set up and display Sybil.

A lot of careful visual effects work and animation went into this effect to eliminate most of the problems with typical facial projection effects.

What's included
-DVD with looping projection video of Sybil the Clairvoyant full seance with materializing ghosts seen in the demo above, plus a version with just her face filling the entire screen for close-up projection.
-Both the video files in .mov format (stored on the DVD) so you can play them on a digital video player (iPod, PC, etc.)
-Specially made Sybil head form projection surface made of plastic.

$55 + $5 shipping in the U.S. Expect 1 week of build time before shipping until September 15, 2013. Orders must be received by September 15 for this Halloween season. Shipping is by USPS.

Go to http://ChickenHaunt.blogspot.com/p/Sybil.html to order.

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
I hate to pass up an opportunity at getting this fantastic prop. And the price is right, too. But I can't think of an feasible way to set it up and use it outdoors in the yard.

Outstanding work, Mr. Chicken!!

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hate to pass up an opportunity at getting this fantastic prop. And the price is right, too. But I can't think of an feasible way to set it up and use it outdoors in the yard.

Outstanding work, Mr. Chicken!!
When I did Leota outside, I put her on a tree stump with some witches around her. Stick the projector in a coffin or tombstone, and you're all set.

Or...you could even mount the head form to the front or top of a tombstone, and have the ghosts floating around above it. If you painted the face light grey and speckled it with white and black, it would even look like stone.

Or mount the head to a dummy, and have a full figure.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,099 Posts
I don't know if this will help at all, and it would likely require additional investment, but we did the Leota effect a few years ago with a pico projector. Super compact, easy to deploy (once you had your measurements), and literally seconds to clean up.

Now, it wasn't outside, but I think the application could work as the total footprint required is minimal. Essentially, I didn't want anyone to be able to interfere with the projection, or even to really be able to see the method at all, so we put it inside of a prop book.

If it helps anyone with another option of how to use this excellent new effect Mr. Chicken has created, the image below is a 'lights on' view, and the pico is located within the prop book on the top of the stack. The hole in the 'book' for the projected image is roughly the size of a quarter.

Lights on Leota:

Leota Lights.jpg

Once concern would certainly be that the pico is not bright enough to compete with major light sources, but if the ambient light can be controlled, the pico does a pretty good job in a short throw distance scenario such as this.

I was able to hide the projector, media player (iPod in this instance), power, etc. all in the book, so it was pretty well self-contained and hidden from the 'audience'

·
Funeral Crasher
7,435 Posts
Thanks for the tips, Mr. Chicken and Defenestrator! I forgot about those pico projectors.

I guess I thought the projector had to be situated higher than the Fortune teller head. Maybe it works below it also? Or straight on? I'll have to look at the set-up video again.

This prop is just too cool to pass up!

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It works best from slightly above. Basically a couple inches higher than the top of her head. You can do it from lower, but it won't align quite as nicely. I've read that Disney tried projecting theirs from a low angle some years ago, but switched to a higher one when they saw the low angle made the facial features angle upwards.

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The best projector will be at least 1,000 lumens. They're easy to find used on Ebay. I'm sure you can make a pico work, though it may be better to do the close up "face only" version of the video so you can have it closer to the head form and, thus, brighter. Hiding it depends on what your scene is like. Outside, you could hide the projector in a tombstone or coffin. Inside, you could put it in a chair, or on a shelf or cabinet. Some folks using pico projectors even hide the projector on the table, behind a book or candles.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The best projector will be at least 1,000 lumens. They're easy to find used on Ebay. I'm sure you can make a pico work, though it may be better to do the close up "face only" version of the video so you can have it closer to the head form and, thus, brighter. Hiding it depends on what your scene is like. Outside, you could hide the projector in a tombstone or coffin. Inside, you could put it in a chair, or on a shelf or cabinet. Some folks using pico projectors even hide the projector on the table, behind a book or candles.[/QUOTE

thanks for the info. Basically I want to use this in a corner of a room and have people walk past....however not sure where to place the projector to enable people to walk a couple feet by the table. Basically it would be on one side of square room and people walk through other side of room looking at on their right as they pass by through the room. Any thoughts?

·
Undaunted Haunter
1,627 Posts
I am sort of curious about a few things. If you project from several feet away but have to have the projector just slightly above her, It seems to me that whatever you use to hide your projector would be in the ToTs line of view when viewing from straight on. If viewing from slightly one side or the other wouldn't that distort the image as they would see it? Does my question make sense?

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Once properly projected on the head form, there is no distortion to the image. Watch the videos again, and notice how it looks from different angles. While the camera flattens 3D space onto a flat plane, the projection onto the head form extrudes it back to three dimensions. So, in a sense, the image is distorted, but you are using the distortion to your advantage so that it doesn't appear abnormal. You can walk all the way around the effect, and it still looks right. Does that answer your question?

·
Registered
30 Posts
This is awesome!!where did u buy the crystal ball from? I am doing a fortune teller scene this year with a zultan and a animatronic fortune teller but this projection steals the show!!! I love it!!! I want to use this outside also. I guess I would need a DVD player attached to a projector? Or is ther an easier way? I am new to projection but want to learn this so bad! We would wow our neighborhood!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts