Halloween Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the props I'm going to work on this year is a flying ghost, but I don't really want to do the traditional crank ghost. I'd like to try to build something that quickly "swoops" or passes at a high rate of speed from one tree to another over the walkway leading to my front door. I'd like for it to go a safe distance above my guests heads, but do so in a way that it appears to be coming straight for them.

I've searched around a bit, but all the articles and site's I've found talk about crank ghosts....does anyone know of any plans that I could look into for an attacking ghost?

Thanks,

Horseman

·
Registered
170 Posts
If you want an interactive prop that someone runs like a puppet, rather than a motorized one that you set and forget, try creating a ghost with a small pulley attached to the top of the head. The ghost travels on the pulley over a line that you can slacken or tauten to raise or lower the ghost. When the line is slackened, the ghost naturally travels to the lowest point in the slack line.

Attach a second line to the pulley so you can pull the ghost back up to your position to reset it for the next swoop.

You can get quite a bit of motion just by slacking and tightening the main line and letting the ghost travel along it to the droop point. Or you can reel it up all the way to where you are. I'd suggest tying off the far end lower than your position; that way the ghost will travel the full length of the line when you want it to. And since you are actively puppeting it, you can make it behave very unpredictably and interactively, swooping right at them before pulling up and soaring over their heads.

I'm thinking a spincasting fishing reel might work well for this application. Tie off the main line at the base of the pole so you can use arm leverage to slacken or tighten the line; or raise your arm to increase the slope for more speed while keeping the line tight. Then use the monofilament line on the reel itself to reel the ghost back up to your position. (Be sure to get non-fluorescent monofilament -- you will be using black light to make the ghost glow, right?)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I came up with this as a result of playing around with the the tight-line motorized ghost I bought a few years back and re-draped to make it scary instead of cartoonish. That's it hanging in the sky in the upper right.

While trying to get the line tension right during setup, I noticed the various motions you can make the ghost do by tightening and slacking the line. I think I will experiment with what I described above this year. If it works well, I may end up ditching the motorized version.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've also seen some very well done Quadrocopter ghosts - this issue is finding a cheap Quadrocopter

·
Registered
106 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
that video is of a radio control airplane that looks like a reaper if you can fly radio control planes you can fly that. from my experience turning more than one plane back into a kit . it would take alot of practice and constant consentration to keep looping it around
plus you probally get 20 or so minutes of flight time before recharge if useing electric so

very cool but very hands on to keep in the air

·
Registered
170 Posts
Call me paranoid, but I would have to advise against anything with spinning propellers anywhere near your guests.

Also, how noisy are the motors? The video covers up that issue with a scary soundtrack. Frankly, I would scatter just like the people in the video if I heard an RC plane bearing down on me, even if it wasn't shaped like a demon-ghost.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
6 Participants
SkeleTom
Halloween Forum
Halloween forum - Keeping the Halloween spirit alive 365 days a year. Discuss decorations, costumes and more!
Full Forum Listing