Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've tried for some time now to get this going and can't seem to make it work. I've watched a bunch of videos and feel like I'm missing something. The PVC skeleton keeps spinning instead of staying in one place down where the pipe slides over the metal piece of the massager. I've tried screwing in some screws to hold it in place (you can see all my screw holes) and tried using that gray plastic plumbers use to hang pipe to keep it from turning. No such luck.

Here's the version of the massager I'm using:

IMG_1123.jpg

Do all of these have this curve to them?

IMG_1127.jpg

I have a 3/4" piece of PVC that slides over the metal stem and then have a coupler on top of that. As you can see by the holes, this is where I've tried to get it to stay still and not spin around. Maybe my problem is the coupler?? Although I've tried it without it and still get the same result - spinning.

IMG_1126.jpg

Inside the coupler, I have the spine of the prop. Everything just spins/twirls around instead of getting that swaying action.

IMG_1125.jpg

I'm really at a loss as to how to get this to work. If anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it. I can post a video later which may help someone who has more knowledge of these things than me to figure out where I'm going wrong. Thanks!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is one I made, you might have to put the top of the massager back on. See how I have the plumbers tape wrapped around the PVC?

Attachments

Reactions: Neuf350Z

·
Registered
124 Posts
It looks like the PVC pipe is going too far down the shaft of the shiatsu and is binding up on the curved part of the shaft. Raise the PVC up by putting tape on the end of the shaft where the bushings are (the little cylinder at the top of the shaft that spins freely). I hope this helps.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just went out and played with it a bit and I think I've got it. I used a combo of the plumbers tape and making sure the pipe wasn't too far down on that curve. Thank you to everyone that's commented here and helped me out!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Just went out and played with it a bit and I think I've got it. I used a combo of the plumbers tape and making sure the pipe wasn't too far down on that curve. Thank you to everyone that's commented here and helped me out!
Your are welcome. We expect to see pictures of you completed prop!

·
Registered
153 Posts
So if you don't place the pvc all the way down on the shaft, how are you attaching it to the shaft?
With the bend in the shaft, mine seemed to help keep the pvc in place. But as mentioned before,
it wants to swing wildly and bang into one another. Like a zombie with an epileptic seizure.

·
Registered
124 Posts
One of the zombies I made, I didn't use the plumbers tape at all, I left the cloth cover on the top of the shiatsu and just forced a PVC collar over the whole thing and installed a PVC bushing in the collar to reduce it down to 1". I drilled a couple of screws through the PVC collar, through the cloth cover and into the rubber piece on the end of the shaft. The cloth cover limits the travel and you still get good movement. I believe I had to take the massager apart to unscrew the plastic piece that the cloth attaches to. I removed the foam divider that was between the two rubber massager ends, this gave more room for travel. I only used one of the massager shafts on this zombie. I don't think I took any pictures, but I will check. This set up was pretty easy.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So if you don't place the pvc all the way down on the shaft, how are you attaching it to the shaft?
With the bend in the shaft, mine seemed to help keep the pvc in place. But as mentioned before,
it wants to swing wildly and bang into one another. Like a zombie with an epileptic seizure.
I used electrical tape to pad up the area on the top of the metal shaft that spins. I'm only using 1/2" PVC pipe (reduced the size from previous photos) and there's still a gap in between that area and the inside of the pipe. That was causing part of my problem. The electrical tape filled that space and then I screwed some screws to really anchor it on.

shiatsu.jpg

Then I used the plumber's tape to restrict the movement and keep it from spinning. I have his arms zip tied (a la CycloneJack) so they flail around.

IMG_1144.jpg

IMG_1145.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Looks great! Your next one will be easier;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts