Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so after much perusing for ideas I took a little bit from the work peapole have done using PVC and Foam to come up with my swamp house creation for 2016.

IMG_0816.jpg

Here are some pics from start to finish.

Using the standard 4x8 sheets of 3/4 inch insulation foam I started to cut out the body of the swamp house. Then the fun begins. I originally drew out wood grain and used a dremel to carve out the grain. This approach looked good but more cartoonish than what I wanted.

IMG_0654.jpg IMG_0658.jpg

Using a hand file I was able to make a visible gap between the wood slats. Typically I would not use spray paint on foam as it eats it up pretty fast. However it actually gave the wood grain more definition. Where I tried to dremel knots in the foam I would use more spray paint to eat away some of the foam. This turned out great.

IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0667.jpg IMG_0663.jpg IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0664.jpg

I used flat black spray paint as the base coat and used latex paint for the final coats. I suggest going to your local Lowes as you can always find very cheap colors of great paint in their discarded sections. This is just paint that was mixed customers didn't like. In order to keep a wood grain flow I used a dry brush approach versus slather paint onto the prop.

IMG_0661.jpg
IMG_0666.jpg IMG_0661.jpg

Beginning to assemble the project I used 1x2" boards and liquid nails. This worked best for me as I tried the aerosol adhesive and that ate through the styrofoam quickly. So don't make that mistake. I decided I needed to add a porch and a dock so I used a coarse file on pvc pipes to make the porch and dock posts.

IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0691.jpg

I used broken pieces of plexiglass for the windows, dressed them up with your typical Halloween cloth. The roof is plastic sheeting you might see on a greenhouse. I was able to pick these up for 5.00 a sheet but they were on sale. I wanted to incorporate a foggor so I added a 3" smoke stack. At first the fog would not move up the 3" pipe for 10' so I rigged up a 1" flex hose to the fogger and ran it to the top. This worked great. I added some orange Halloween xmas lights at the top to illuminate the fog. I have the fog timer set to go off every 15 seconds for 2 second durations. This provided me a slow steady seep of fog out the stack. Looks pretty good.

IMG_0806.jpg IMG_0816.jpg

I added some flicker attic lights, lanterns, cricket, frog and banjo ambience for affect. I have two talking skulls I plan on incorporating but I'm running into trying to find good hillbilly banter audio. If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. I'll see about adding a video.

Enjoy

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great work, looks fantastic. Have you thought about playing audio clips from Deliverance or other such films on a loop to get your audio element?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow! This looks amazing the foam looks exactly like wood. Maybe check out this song called drifters ghost by the woodbox gang awesome tune and may fit in.

Just noticed the Texas plates, what part you from?
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
North Dallas, Mckinney TX

Wow! This looks amazing the foam looks exactly like wood. Maybe check out this song called drifters ghost by the woodbox gang awesome tune and may fit in.

Just noticed the Texas plates, what part you from?
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

North Dallas, Mckinney TX

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have and found the straight audio for the dueling banjos and other dark banjo sounding audio which ties in perfectly. I going to try and use the squeal boy scene for my talking skulls.

·
Registered
720 Posts
That is probably the most convincing wood grain I've seen on foam!

Now I wanna compare that to the barbecue brush and heatgun method..... TESTING TIME!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is probably the most convincing wood grain I've seen on foam!

Now I wanna compare that to the barbecue brush and heatgun method..... TESTING TIME!

I haven't heard or tried that method yet. I just bought some more material to make an accompanying out house. I'll have to give that a try. The dremel works pretty quick and the flow for the wood grain is simple. Just make sure you use one of the height adjustment pieces so the router bit only goes into the foam too deep.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
One of my favorite post this year. I really like what you did. And you how to was a bonus. What kind of talking skulls are you using?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the accolades. I'm using fright props skulls that have the pico controller. I bought these a couple of years ago and they work great. Eyes move back and forth and the jaw sensitivity can be adjusted for better movement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts