Halloween Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking to bring the swamp aesthetic to my haunt this year but adding cat tails, cedar tree knees and tall wild grasses. I have a plan for the cedar knees (see pic below) but curious if anyone has any ideas on how to inconspicuously hold/contain a clump of grasses or cat tails that I can harvest around my local roadways?

Has anyone done this before?

Plant Tree Natural landscape Trunk Wood

1,674 Posts
We're doing a swamp theme this year for our Halloween camp site. We did cattails... Frog using a heat gun and pool noodles fashioned from quartered noodle chunks around coat hanger wire for the stems and about a 4-6 inch long chunk slipped over the stem and shaped a bit with the heat gun. he left a lengths of coat hanger wire at the bottom to stick into the ground. We learned how to shape noodles from watching this Stiltbeast video

We made a few trees using this idea
Waiting for Godot or Spooky Tree for Halloween
Have a friend who gets free burlap bags from a coffee roaster and we used some for the "tree" bases and "shredded " a number to make "spanish moss" to hang off everything.

Emergency mylar blankets I found work kinda like a two way mirror it has become our "water" we're going to place strings of green and blue lights under it. The place sticks and branchs to weight the edges. Using the milk jug skull tutorials out there I used my resin turtle owl and frog garden statues and made milk jug swamp critters. A little spray paint and we have critters.

·
Super Moderator
5,999 Posts
Cat tails are pretty sturdy (at least the variety around here, of which there are apparently multiple types) and if you're talking reed grass, it can be as well. I'd legitimately get a garbage drill bit 3/4-1", drill holes in your grass/ground/whatever, and shove clumps into the holes. I've done that with reed grass clumps before.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cat tails are pretty sturdy (at least the variety around here, of which there are apparently multiple types) and if you're talking reed grass, it can be as well. I'd legitimately get a garbage drill bit 3/4-1", drill holes in your grass/ground/whatever, and shove clumps into the holes. I've done that with reed grass clumps before.

So simple, I love it!!

I don't know why I over complicate things sometimes,

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
We usually dig up clumps of weeds and/or extra grasses like smaller pampas grass segments that have spread in our garden. We cut out a piece of black contractor garbage bags about the size of the clumps, knock off a bunch of dirt and then sit the grasses right on the lawn. It does brown or yellow our grass, but one time we didn't put anything between the clump and the lawn and it started to root! So that was harder to remove and keep an eye on. We don't mind the grass dying back since it usually does each season anyway.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I stopped by Hobby Lobby yesterday to buy some swampy looking fake plants for my Dead Marshes. I was disappointed by what I found size/price wise. BUT the spanish moss was a great value IMO. $5 for a bag of it the size of a large throw pillow.

On Monday I'll be trying out something like you asked about. I've got a 4' fake Pampas grass plant in a 1' black pot. I'm gonna try and use 3 2' plastic grass plants from Hobby Lobby to hide the pot. I'll post the result next week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts