Halloween Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I think I am going to make swamp candles this year, going ahead and get started early. I am going to try to go the same look as PumpkinRot did. The thing I am going to different is the actual lighting itself. I have had good luck using Neopixels to emulate a candle effect, you can hardly tell the difference and this way you do not have to worry about candles being replaced or heat. Looking at his pictures and reading the text he used school glue and various paints, mason jars. I am probably going to vary my jars with pickle jars, mason jars and the like. How would it look hanging these with burlap twine? Any ideas on making these look aged? I may try to simulate rust on the jar lids. On the very top of the jar I am going to put small solar panels to recharge the batteries. I figure if I angle the jar you will not see the solar panels from the street.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Here is an older thread about the swamp lanterns I have made for this year.

If you get the "wide mouth" mason jars you can fit one of the led flame-effect bulbs in the jar. Make sure you buy the flame bulbs that sense when they are upside down and change the flame direction accordingly. You can use fake moss or cheesecloth to hide the cord. If you are going to leave your lanterns up for more than a night I think this is an easier solution than attempting to use batteries and solar chargers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here - long time reader, long-time haunter

I also was inspired to make some of these, and I found a perhaps simpler way to get the 'dirty' texture - my wife has some leftover 'stone texture' paint (American Accent brand) - the stuff spatters out and leaves a nice gritty texture on the jar, and there are plenty of colors. I'm also using a dusting of yellow,brown, and black spraypaint to tint the jar, and using the 'glass frosting' spary to get the milky, old-glass look. I'll get some pictures shortly.

For the lighting, I grabbed a batch of 100 candle-flicker yellow LEDs with resistors, and am wiring them up to an old PC power supply for 12V power

1 - 3 of 3 Posts