Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had to tell ya'll how much I love my neighborhood. :) I've had 4 different neighbors go out of their way to tell me how much they like my yard. One lady wouldn't believe me that I had actually made the cemetery fence and pillars. She kep saying, "Get outta here!" After she came up and touched them, she believed me and actually squeeled and clapped! This is a late 60's year old lady. I just love it.

I was wondering, what kind of experience do you tend to have in your neighborhood? Would you say people are generally supportive? The awesome feeling I get when I have strangers tell me how much they like my work is far more meaningful and warm and fuzzy than anything Christmas brings! haha

·
Registered
355 Posts
When I lived in NC and CO on military bases I was always complemented by my neighbors and had a couple say that it looked like a movie set. I loved it! This is my 1st year in the home, which is on a dead end AND at the bottom of a hill in the culdesac, lol, so only 3 of my neighbors can even see my place. So far so good..one of my neighbor peeps in when I'm in the garage and he always asks what I'm making at that time. He loved the zombie babies!! :)

G

·
0 Posts
My neighbors are the same way. :) I have neighbors that come over and talk, that I haven't talked to since last Halloween. They love it. And I love that they love it.
All the positive comments and the smiles on the kids faces makes all that sweating in the garage, building props, worth it. :)
Now, where can I find pics of your haunt MM? :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Thankfully I have good neighbors too :) Today was 'walk to school' day for the middle school and our house is on the way. My wife said we got about 50 people walking by and the little guys like it a lot!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I love the way my neighborhood reacts to my decorating. People start asking me in September when I'm going to get started on Halloween (little do they know what's going on on the back yard). As the props start going up on October 1, everyone alters their walking routes to make sure they swing by regularly to check on my progress. Earlier this week I was putting up tombstones and my neighbor across the street came over to introduce her parents. She said they saw me from her porch and insisted that she bring them over. I'm a celebrity!

·
Typical Ghoul Next Door
7,334 Posts
Our neighbors and their kids ask us when we're setting up. Our next door neighbor comes over to take pics so she can show her friends at work. I've had a few folks stop their cars in the street and tell us how happy they are to see us starting as their kids love riding to school so they can see our yard... :D I love it!

Never had any religious messages left on the door, or actually any negative comments at all... never had so much as a pumpkin smashed either. I know we are very lucky so far, and hope it continues that way.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Our neighbors tend to like it, our next door neighbor also decorates. She always does her porch with spider webs and a few things in the flower beds. This year we are a little late on getting started, we have the countdown sign out though. Since that went out, I hear people walking by every day to count down along with it. Hehe.

·
Registered
436 Posts
We are in a new house, and so far our neighbors on either side like the yard. I also had a guy down the street come by and give me an expired license plate that says HAUNTED. He thought we would like it...so far so good. One of the neighbors warned me the guys across the street are Codes callers so we will see. As I said..they don't want to start THAT war....

·
Seer of All
2,939 Posts
There is a retired couple next door that always comes out to tell me how much they like it and that their grandkids will love it when they come. They're the best! Other neighbors just give me this funny little smile like they aren't really sure about the whole thing. There are two little boys across the street that have fun with the whole thing though. Once, I saw them playing in their driveway pretending to shoot my witches and spiders so "everybody would be safe"!
Hey, I'll take it as a compliment!

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
I just was told by my neighbor that she is turning off her lights Halloween night and that if I want I could use her yard. She is out of work right now and can't afford all the candy. :(

·
Shadow box dancer
1,443 Posts
Sounds like she needs to be BOOED with candy bowl full of candy (wink,wink)
We got close to 200 kids last year and expect way more then that this year. Candy is a big part of our budget. We had to dole out candy to neighbors last year as well. they didn't know what was going to happen. So it might be better if we just invite her over to our place and turn it into a party. :)

·
Devilishly Dutch
5,920 Posts
Our dutch neighbors seem to be 'cautious' lol

They look, but generally from a distance with a mix of 'they are crazy' and 'oh that's cool' lol
Our next door neighbor will not come to our party but before the party, always comes and has a look under the carport and tent :D One year we'll get him here!

MsM

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's so great to hear how cool most neigbors are about our little obsession! :) It makes me happy to hear about everybody's good experiences. I've now had 4 neighbors come by to compliment me, plus the mail man and Fed Ex guy, and my postal clerk drove out to my place to see it. Yay! It's so nice to have people appreciate what we do!

·
Registered
9 Posts
our nieghbors love our display, they laugh when thier kids are too scared to come up to the door. A couple of years ago when we first started our tombstone would blow away and the neighbor kids would catch them and put them back in place. Previous place of residence our decorations would get stolen.

·
Insert Witty Comment Here
4,484 Posts
My girlfriend of 7 years moved out last month and my next door neighbor came over and she asked two questions: Are you OK? & Are you still going to be doing Halloween?

I don't have anything out yet, but was working in the garage the other day when one of my cul de sac neighbors came down and told me to give him a call if I need any help setting things up. Then I bumped into another neighbor today at a party store and she said: "We're expecting big things out of your yard this Halloween.

I think they'll all be happy when I roll the funeral carriage I'm working on out of the garage. Lotsa good neighbor support here :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
A couple of my neighbors love my yard. I personally think it's a bit empty, but if they love it, then that's what makes me have a smile on my face. I told one to wait and see what it looks like at night with some of the pumpkins and such.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts