Halloween Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have several Bucky skulls that we've added electronics to in order to make them talk. That part wasn't the problem (it's really nice to have electrical engineers in your circle of friends :D). We're having issues supporting the skulls because of their weight.

A few we want to add to the posable skellies you can pick up at Costco then there's a couple that we want to stand or hang in a cage but still allow them the space for the jaws to move.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Scared Silly
1,930 Posts
What I've done is made big plastic washers to put inside the skull, then run a bolt through the spine hole (technical term :p)and into a PVC end cap. Then the skull can be mounted to a PVC frame. As I think about it now, though, you could probably just attach the end cap with plumber's epoxy. That worked well because most of the time I was attaching the bucky skulls to blucky bodies (back when there was no good skeleton available in an intermediate price range), and it was convenient to run PVC through all the limbs.

·
Imitation Imagineer
1,118 Posts
The images below illustrate the support of a talking Bucky for our Jolly Roger with s simple PVC combination. If I'm correctly interpreting what you're trying to achieve, I think it can be adapted for your concept.

I think that our take on it was in line with Mr. Chicken's suggestion, but with a deviation...we just allowed the PVC to be the support with no bolt, washers, etc.

The PVC provides support, and a conduit for power and audio cables. Once everything is in place, and demonstrated to be functioning properly, silicone can be run around the PVC and aperture.

Two lengths of 1" PVC and a 90 degree elbow were assembled to form an 'L' shape. The horizontal PVC length was inserted into a vertical piece of 2 X 4 (used to hang the entire prop on the wall), glued into place, and the vertical piece runs right up into the skull.

It perches perfectly, and has been hanging on a wall now since September of 2012....still going strong. Hope it helps! :)

Jolly Inside.jpg

Jolly With Skull.jpg

Jolly-Complete.jpg

1 - 4 of 4 Posts