Halloween Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where do you guys get your supplies? Off a wholesaler, or just in any DIY store?
I'm in Ireland, and not exactly having the wealth of stores available in the US, and having no credit card to buy online:(, I am at a loss as to how to purchase my materials for props cheaply, i.e. foamboard, liquid latex (and monster mud??:confused:)....

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!:D

·
Registered
629 Posts
While I can't speak for everyone here, I get the majority of my supplies in a DIY store like home depot

·
Registered
238 Posts
I'm also easily found at my local construction superstore or hardware store on most weekends. The only things I've bought that were halloween specific were a few oddball props and any skeleton stuff I might need.

·
Going bump in the night..
3,388 Posts
I'll chime in to agree with the use of hardware stores for a lot of my materials.
Additionally, I pick up a lot of stuff that can be useful on clearance racks throughout the year.
Old Christmas lights people didn't buy...extension cords...paint that isn't selling, or was mixed improperly...
(and that's a great point for your Monster Mud - check with your local stores that may sell paint (hardware or otherwise), chances are they have cans of paint that were improperly mixed for customers, that they now cannot sell at regular price. The colors may be weird, but that's fine - when you're making Monster Mud, you can always paint over the creation once made...the real point to them is getting the latex paint / drywall mud mixed together, applied to cloth, and hung on your framework)

Thrift stores may have a wealth of potential materials - all you need to do is look beyond the "intended" use for an item, and you'll begin to see where it can become something spooky and wonderful.

·
Registered
238 Posts
all you need to do is look beyond the "intended" use for an item, and you'll begin to see where it can become something spooky and wonderful.
That, IMO, is the single biggest talent you've got to have in order to be a prop-builder. I mean seriously, foam insulation tombstones, PVC fog chillers, and snot-rag mache flesh....you've gotta be able to not just think outside the box, but find a new use for the box.

·
lies dead but dreaming
952 Posts
I get most every thing at a DiY store (Lowes mainly) Most everything in my haunt the wife and I have made check out the tutorials here and the monster list for lots of ways to build on a budget. BTW Monster Mu comes from Lowes too... 5 parts joint compound to one part latex paint.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone for your replies. My main question was to see if you all got your 'ingredients' from a wholesalers....and....now that I know you don't, I won't feel so bad spending more than cost price...although I will be checking for local wholesalers who could supply most of what I need...

·
Registered
363 Posts
Hey Tat....You could also set up an ebay/paypal account which can be connected to a bank account of yours and check out some ebay stores for props, supplies and other goodies.

Otherwise, the new trend is "pre-Paid" credit cards. They are a credit card with no credit. The only money on the card is what you put on it yourself but they work as good as a Mastercard/Visa. There are monthly fees or fees to load them though as well as transaction fees. To be honest though, most of the fees are less then credit card APR's.

Western Union offers a reasonable one, check it out. The main thing I see people use em for is bill paying and internet purchasing where the consumer doesn't want to give out their normal credit card number.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I do have a Laser card, which I can use on some sites, but lacking some sort of special security number, it doesn't work for ebay, which is a real shame - although perhaps not, considering I'd be a total ebay addict!:D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep, that's the one! Don't have it though:( My card is a Maestro Laser card from the AIB bank...silly that they don't have the number...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I get 60% of my materials from DIY stores (Lowes/Home Depot), 20% from other stores (Big Lots/K-Mart/Joanns Fabrics/etc), 10% from commercial halloween stores (HalloweenMart/Skeleton Store), 5% from garage sales and thrift stores and 5% from construction sites/junkyards/garbage dumpsters.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts