Halloween Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Easy! I am not a carpenter so I have always been intimidated to try building a "frame" for cemetery columns. I knew I wanted to make some though and have drooled over some pretty amazing ones over the years. So I went to Home Depot and bought some of those round cement forms/tube things. Brought those home, painted them black, but somehow, they still did not feel right to me. Then I thought "Why not glue foam board to the outside of the tubes, making them square columns, and more sturdy?"

Today I did just that, and let me tell you it was so easy. WHY oh why did I not think to do this sooner? These are really strong feeling, and quite heavy. I may still add some PVC inside each tube. and pound rebar into the grass.... then slide the columns/PVC "tubes" over the rebar for extra support.

Okay so this is my INSPIRATION PHOTO:
skull-columnss.jpg

And here is what I have done so far:

halloween progress cemetery columns 2014 005 CEMENT TUBE INSIDE.jpg
This is the cement form/tube in the middle with pieces of foam glued on with liquid nails.

halloween progress cemetery columns 2014 001.jpg
How they look right now

halloween progress cemetery columns 2014 003.jpg

halloween progress cemetery columns 2014 006 ARCH.jpg
This "Arch" will be attached to the cemetery column toppers just by drilling holes through the foam, until they reach their stopping point (a cross bar on the arch on each side).

Fingers crossed this will actually work!!!! :D

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm, well the tubes were not very expensive, maybe $10 each?
The sheets of foam are $20. I used 2 and have gobs leftover.
So I guess so far I'm looking at $60.
I pretty much have everything else, paint, more foam, etc. I want to use Great Stuff foam inside skull heads to make a whole bunch of skulls. So that will be a cost, but not much, just the cost of the GREAT STUFF as I already have the skull shapes for making the foam versions.

·
the horror up North ...Eh
2,988 Posts
I would brace the top boards with some pl 300 and some plywood, Drill holes thru the plywood base and the styrofoam to insert your top holder dont count on the foam to hold it in all by its self thats why the plywood base and you can use bracket clamp to hod the top to the base . you will need to beaf it up a little to survive also rember you have a week point between the corners around the tube , i can for see this bring an area of weekness to the structure , reinforce everything now ..great idea using the sono tubes another way to create a similar look is to break pieces around the sono tube and glue them onto the sono tube. if you dont glue the hell out of the styro to keep it all safe . it will be top heavy with the arch so tat will need support to prevent it form tipping over

1 - 9 of 9 Posts