Halloween Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know that we've ever had a thread like this before, but I thought that it could be useful. Maybe we can direct one another to items to repurpose.

I myself am looking for a small light-neutral colored "shade tent" that's at least 6-7 ft tall, but will only fit about four chairs inside. Great dimension giving, right? I need one with a back and sides if at all possible, too, with just the front open, or a roll-up front flap.

I want to make a mausoleum out of it for my glowing ghost. I don't have storage space to make one out of anything that is not fully collapsible. ;) I'm not actually going to put chairs in it, that reference was just for estimation of interior size.

I did toss around the idea of making a funeral tent with mourners and a skeleton preacher, but...I would probably offend a whoooooole lot of people by doing that, so I'll stick with the mausoleum idea for now.

Of course I have already picked up some lanterns and shepherds hooks at Family Dollar and Dollar Tree, and this summer item from Gordmans is on my want list, once it goes on clearance. I'll be covering the "Welcome", and darkening the paint job to make it more ominous.

Attachments

·
Somewhat Eccentric
2,276 Posts
We use the pop-up canopies often and the smallest I've ever found was an 8' x 10' with the norm available here being 10' x 10'. You can find the sides for them either in nylon or mesh but I've found oftentimes they are more expensive than the canopies themselves. We use tarps and either spring clamps or those bungee tarp straps with the ball to secure them to the canopy. Since you probably don't want the sound of flapping tarps ruining the effect of your mausoleum, you could opt for using sheets for the sides, perhaps painting them to look like stone. I will caution you not to place it in a high-wind area or the sides can become a quite effective sail. :D

Your plans for the owl stump sound awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can get one! :)

·
Wisp in the Mist
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We use the pop-up canopies often and the smallest I've ever found was an 8' x 10' with the norm available here being 10' x 10'. You can find the sides for them either in nylon or mesh but I've found oftentimes they are more expensive than the canopies themselves. We use tarps and either spring clamps or those bungee tarp straps with the ball to secure them to the canopy. Since you probably don't want the sound of flapping tarps ruining the effect of your mausoleum, you could opt for using sheets for the sides, perhaps painting them to look like stone. I will caution you not to place it in a high-wind area or the sides can become a quite effective sail. :D

Your plans for the owl stump sound awesome! Keeping my fingers crossed that you can get one! :)
Thank you, lizzyborden! That helps me quite a bit. :D I found one last year at Family Dollar, but I waited for it to get marked down again, and someone grabbed it before I got back. I am trying to keep an eye out, now.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I keep an eye out for the styrofoam summer coolers to go on clearance - sometimes they have good shapes for tombstones or other props. You can also repurpose pool noodles for a lot of things. Summer fake flowers can get a repainting or "dirtying up" to be used in a cemetery or Halloween wreath. I also use summer buckets & bins as bases for things. Like last year I bought round plastic summer tubs from the dollar store, spray painted them black, stuck a tall branch in them & sprayed Great Stuff in the bucket to keep the branch in place. Then I painted the GS black too. I used these to string lights from branch to branch at about waist height to create a pathway that people wouldn't cross. Lots of summer garden art can be repurposed - I like the idea of transforming that tree stump, LairMistress!

·
Far Away Eyes
3,354 Posts
Not sure how much of an actual repurpose this is, but I did use these gargoyles that are a Spring/garden item on sale now at Rite Aid. Painted them, and the columns, with flat black paint. Then dry-brushed with white.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts