Halloween Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you, I enjoy dressing up as something scary (or at least spooky) for Halloween. But I have a problem, though: I live in southern Louisiana. For those who don't know what it is like down here, here are some stats:
Average temperature (for my area) on October 31st: Low 55 F (~13 C) / High 75 F (~24 C)
Also, to rub some salt in those wounds, it is humid here. And I mean humid. And by humid, I mean completely miserable and it makes the lowest of warm temperatures horrible.
Long story short, it gets hot quickly and many costumes are sadly off the table since I don't want to sweat to death. Last Halloween, I tried this really cool DIY scarecrow mask only to walk about 30-50 feet outside, needing to immediately turn around, go back home, and quickly modify my costume into an ad-hoc Jason costume (i.e., I just grabbed my mask and machete).
I would like to do something good and scary, but what should I be and how should I do it in a way that doesn't kill me by sweating to death?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yikes, you are bringing back childhood memories. I lived in Florida for most of my life (similar weather that time of year) and I know these aren't suggestions, but I did have some basic guidelines:
-Short sleeves and/or pants are a MUST. Especially if you tend to run around on Halloween night ;) .
-Avoid masks. If you insist, make sure it is water proof (rubber, etc.). Also, be strategic. If you're sticking around your house I recommend picking the time limits you can handle. It makes it way more fun than wearing that dang mask until you want to throw it across the yard.
-Go with the local color! Swamp monsters, regular old scary white trash characters, and other local lore often fit the weather bill and will be memorable!
Good luck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I actually have some experience with this, since I work for a ghost tour that runs through the summer. Ventilation can help a lot, even a handful of strategic tears in your costume can make it look really authentic while also letting you cool off. Avoid spirit gum and fake blood, because you'll sweat those off in 20 minutes. I use liquid latex appliances and rubber mask latex paint, which holds up to sweat for much longer. And if you're good with face paint, you won't need to wear a big heavy costume or mask. A decent skeletal/zombie makeup plus a ragged pirate costume would make a great pirate ghost that looks good and avoids heatstroke.

Best of luck

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have experience using liquid latex thanks to my theater makeup class (which I took solely for Halloween). How easy is the mask paint to get off?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Makeup wipes will take care of most of the paint, although certain colors (like red) can leave a stain on your skin. Nothing soap and water can't fix, though. And if it can stand up to a 6-hour shift on an 80-degree day on a husky dude like me, it'll work for you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts